Here's the deal. When I had my FSH tested on day three in September, it was 10. Flat out 10.0. As borderline as it gets. My doc said it was, "Ooookaaay" and that was that. When I went home and put it in my google machine and I flipped, but didn't bring it up again because I was afraid of being high maintenance.
Now, we're doing the IUI deal with 11-13% chance of success each cycle. Smashing, yes? He recommended two cycles and then reconoiter. We have insurance coverage (We are very blessed and do not take it for granted.), but they require three IUIs before they will pay for ART. So, since we have no money, we're going for the IUIs, knowing that chances are pretty slim. Since I've gotten a cyst without even stimming, I'm thinking we will need to take breaks between cycles which would slow us down.
I know, I know, cart before the horse and all that stuff, but should I be concerned that my FSH is going to skyrocket in the next several months? My ovulation date has been steadily moving out - from day 12 to day 19 this last cycle, so that has me a little nervous. Thoughts?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

OOOhh! I love playing doctor (not in the dirty way....) Did you get your AMH checked? FSH is usually a good idicator of how you will respond to stim meds but AMH is a better indicator of ovarian reserve. FSH can drastically change month to month but the only relevant number is the highest one you've gotten, for this reason I think its a pretty unreliable number.
ReplyDeleteMy first AMH was .6 (horribly low) and FSH was 8.6 (boarderline high) the doc said this meant I had very few eggs left but my ovaries would probably still respond OK to stims. My first, crap response IVF was on 150 ius of follistim and I made 1 egg, on 250 iu of follistim (with 325 for the first 2 days) I made 10 good eggs. Clearly there is a HUGE difference there with very little adjustment in meds.
10 seems high to me but if I were you I'd ask him to also check your AMH (ps FSH isn't relevant unless they also check your estrodiol with it because high estrodiol, indicating presence of an ovarian cyst, can artificially lower your FSH making it seem better than it actually is.
Also I've heard that higher FSH can mean that you have several follicles respond to the stims but not actually have enough stims to fully develop them, thus creating more cysts than eggs so I think your theory of cysts slowing you down between is probably good. Do your IUI cycles have to be done with injectables for your insurance to count them or can you use clomid or femara?
So I think this is the worlds longest blog comment. If you actually feel like hearing me ramble on more pretending to be the worlds best RE you can always email me!
Thanks Lindsey! That's a big help. He didn't test my AMH or E2. I guess I'll ask about it, but part of me doesn't want to know! If it doesn't change the overall picture, let's just keep the bad news to a minimum. We're doing a min-stim protocol for the IUI. I think they need to be injectibles for insurance to count them, but that's what my RE wanted to do anyway so it works! Plus, his stats are amazing so I'm just gunna go with what he says!
ReplyDelete