I have this horrible habit, inherited from my mother of shouting out the life status and my shared hometown pride of certain celebrities when they come on TV or the radio. Namely, I say things like "she's dead" or "he's from St. Louis." This has now transfered to "she's infertile." It all makes the husband person nuts. BUT I now watch more of his cooking shows 'cuz they are chock full of infertile heroes.
Of course, the celebrities who loudly denied any treatment (I'm lookin at you, J-Lo) don't fall on my favorites list. It's not that I think they owe it to anyone to disclose the status of their uterus, but I do think they owe it to women to not perpetuate the thought that getting pregnant in your 40s is something that happens naturally on a regular basis. They don't have to announce "I used donor eggs!" but being a big fat liar and saying it was natural when your whole big Hollywood clinic knows about your time in the stirrups is irresponsible IMHO. Saying, "I had help" or even "I don't want to talk about it" is just fine. So I've found myself following these "performances" with glee:
Desperate Housewives - Marcia Cross and Brenda Strong were in a scene together this week. Heaven!
Activia Commercials
The Dixie Chicks
Anything SJP
Friends reruns
Kitchen Nightmares AND Hell's Kitchen
Top Chef
I'd watch Reading Rainbow if I could find it.
I'd watch The View if I could stomach it.
I have not stooped to listening to Celine yet, but I might swing that way if someone doesn't stop me soon.
Do you have an infertile celebrity hero?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Mine right now is Giuliana Rancic because she's been so open about her infertility struggles and now she's also speaking up about her fight against breast cancer.
ReplyDeleteYeah, she's a must have on the list!
ReplyDelete