Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

July 4, 2012

Fortnight of Fun

I'm back from a much needed respite and visit with my mom.  I had some real BBQ (not the vinegar soaked crap they try to pass off here), wonderful conversations, a baseball game, and lots of wine.  My heart is full.  It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, though.

As I've mentioned before, I'm a Cradle Catholic.  I spent 13 years in Catholic school, including University.  I was a catechist for kids preparing for confirmation.  I served on the liturgical committee at my church and I've been a cantor for the better part of 25 years (Jeezle Pete I'm old).  My faith has always been a central part of my life, but it's hard to be a Catholic and a scientist.  Let's face it, Catholics have a pretty shitty track record when it comes to recognizing science as... well... a thing.

When we were faced with fertility treatments, I had a hard time reconciling religion and faith.  I read the Church's doctrine on treatment and I was astounded, horrified even, by the misconceptions and inaccuracies that brought the leaders of my church to condemn the choices I was making to treat a medical condition.  You can read my original posts on the subject here, here, and here.  Since then, I have learned to recognize that the laws of the Catholic church were written by men, not God, that humans are fallible, and we have the free will to make our own choices and decisions.  I was feeling pretty good with that.  I haven't been going to mass much, but mostly it's been because of the babies that are all over the place.  I go to a Franciscan parish, so we're a bit more liberal than your typical diocesan church.

Fast forward to this past Sunday when I was with my mom.  She wanted me to go to her new church with her.  It was just built near her house and she was talking about how beautiful it was.  Now, I went to this church when mass was in a warehouse while the new building was being built and I wasn't thrilled with it.  It's really conservative.  Many women wear chapel veils there and it was the first time I'd EVER seen a woman wearing one in the US.  I figured it wouldn't kill me.  I did make it out alive, but that's about all I can say about it!

When we walked in, the whole congregation was kneeling and chanting.  It was a prayer I had never heard before.  I asked my mom what it was and she said it was a pro-life prayer, from when she was a little girl.  I looked at the really young people who knew and were reciting this and thought, "Oh Lord, here we go."  We saddled into our pew and were joined shortly by the youngest sibling of a girl I went to grade school with.  She's one of 9.  My former classmate is already up to 5 of her own.  So now I'm trapped in a pew between St. Mom and captain fertility, in the most conservative Catholic church I've ever set foot in, during the "Fortnight for Religious Freedom" crap (sorry - it's crap.  Maybe our Bishops forgot what real religious persecution is), while I'm on BCPs before my second IVF cycle.  See where this is going?

The homily was about the insurance mandate, but this dude went even further.  In the same breath as talking about how the government's mandate on paying for birth control violated the Church's religious rights, he went on to describe how the Church's doctrine should be governing.  Like, really governing.  He actually said something alluding to things being all fine and dandy when the Catholic church was in political power back in the day.  Ummm, k.  Then he called on his parishioners to vote for politicians who would oppose gay marriage (he went into detail on that one), cloning, and stem cell research.  He said that, "stem cell research hasn't produced any cures" so we should be abandoning it anyway.  I wanted to jump up and yell, "Treatments, asswipe!  Loads of treatments!  You can't wipe a whole research platform off the map like that."  He did not mention IVF directly, but stem cell research and cloning are two of the reasons that the church's doctrine gives for condemning IVF.  Swear.  Cloning.  I was waiting for him to mention ART specifically, but his "protecting life from the moment of conception until death" diatribe said it all.  So there I sat, feeling like a leper in the one place that I should feel the most loved and supported. 

I managed to keep the tears to a manageable 2 streamers.

One of my mom's biggest fears in all of this is that I will turn my back on my faith.  Being the avoider she is, when we got in the car she kept talking about the music and the stained glass.  I just said, "Can we go to your old church when I come to visit please?"  She gave a cheery, "Okay.  The homily was a bit much."  I answered, "A bit?"  She said, "Okay, a lot.  Let's go get some lunch."

I'm still so lost when it comes to religion and faith.  Just when I think I've got it figured out, I plop my butt in a pew and it all goes out the window.  A beautiful stained glass window at that.

22 comments:

  1. Good to see you around again! I'm glad you had a much needed break and time away. I'd love to chat about faith and fertility stuff, even through email, if you'd ever like. There are not many people I've run into through the blogs who may share some of the similarities in faith like you would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was brought up in an atheist home so I can't relate to what you are going through, but it is very interesting to read about and try to understand the conflict you face. My husband, Kitt, was raised Catholic, but walked away from the church in his teens, we are lucky though, his family were very accepting of that and are very supportive of our life choices. I think the fact that his father was priest who left to get married helps him to understand those who choose a different path. I hope you can find a way to work with your faith and your infertility struggles and find the right path between the two for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a weird dichotomy, but I know I'm very blessed to have a supportive family even if my church isn't so supportive.

      Delete
  3. Hey there! Glad you're ok.

    My hubby is a practising Catholic, so I thought he'd be worried about us HAVING to use IVF to conceive. Thankfully, he believes in building a family through all and any means, so we never had to contend with that problem - but it's such a controversial topic to many people. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I just worry that if we are lucky enough to conceive that raising our children Catholic would mean that they may be lead to believe that their lives are worth less than others? I don't know. So much to work through, I guess.

      Delete
  4. Wow this is a very hard topic and so many pure emotions tied to this one. My family was originally Catholic until I was about 6 or 7 and then left the religion. I really like your comment about rules be written by men and not God. It seems the longer I struggle with infertility, the further away from religion I go. I guess there are "those" judgemental and uneducated people in each religion and they dont really understand unless this happens to them. I am sorry you are struggling so much with your faith and hope nothing but the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Toni. I'm feeling farther from religion too, but not so much from faith... which just makes one very lost!

      Delete
  5. Yeah, I struggled with religion for a while. I was also raised Catholic, but when I got older I started to question many of the practices and doctrines of the church, which sent me into a whole tailspin of figuring out what it is I do believe in. I've come to this: I believe in a higher power (a universe, an order to things, and a connection to those who have gone before us. I do not believe in the church. I believe in being a good person, respecting yourself and others, showing love and kindness. I do not believe in missionaries, being anti-gay, anti-choice, and obviously not being anti-ART. The church is full of greed, corruption and personal agendas. Of course it is, it was created by man! Luckily my mom supports me in all this. She could never leave the church as it was so ingrained in her identity for so long but she chooses to believe what she believes and ignore the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right that when it comes down to it, it's all about just being kind and respectful.

      Delete
  6. Just remember that that was not YOUR church, so it is clearly not the right place for you. My only experience is within Judaism, how there are different synagogues and different communities that are SO DIFFERENT - you can't walk into one expecting the same kind of warmth and support you get from another if you aren't a part of that group (or interested in becoming part of it). You don't have to go back there, you don't have to fit into their expectations or their community. (This is why when we knew we had to move to get more space for our twins, we only had a few options - it was because of where we fit in and what type of community we were looking for.)

    I'm glad it sounds like you have a community at home that you feel comfortable in. Yes these people share a religion with you but their interpretations and values are so different that it's almost like a different sect/group altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a close Jewish friend who is having a real struggle finding a temple for those same reasons. Catholicism and Judaism are so surprisingly similar. If I were feeling the need to convert to anything, I honestly feel like I would feel most at home in a synagogue. Most of my Jewish friends are more "christian" than my Christian friends anyway!

      Delete
  7. I cannot handle it when pastors/priests talk politics during their sermons. This is supposed to be God worshipping time, not "Let's see how close we can get the church and state" time. I hope you can put this behind you and get back to where you were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And he had this horrible sing-songy voice. Ugh. It was gross.

      Delete
  8. I could have written this post. I'm really struggling with my Catholicism lately because I know they wouldn't approve of many of thing I've had to do. I won't even go to church to talk to a priest because I'm afraid of being excommunicated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last person I would talk to would be a priest too. I can certainly understand that. Email me if you need to talk, Anna.

      Hapahopes@gmail.com

      Delete
  9. Just wanted to say thanks for writing about this. I'm an evangelical Christian - I was raised Free Methodist, attended a very conservative Nazarene university, and am now a member of a more liberal English Congregational United Church of Christ. As a biology major who now works in cancer research, I am much more open to the role of science in our modern lives than some within the Christian community. I never questioned that IVF was the right path for us and have felt at peace with our decision. Nevertheless, I've worried about how some former friends (and yes, even family members) might react. I've withheld some details for fear of being attacked. I think it is both tragic and extremely disappointing that, as you so eloquently stated, the one place we should feel both loved and supported is often the one place we fear being open and honest about our life struggles. I'm very thankful that the church I'm currently a part of is, for the most part, very good at the "love and support" and I wish you all the best on your journey through the battlefield of religion vs. science. It is refreshing to hear from someone else that the two do not have to be mutually exclusive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I know I've lost a "christian" friend or two to judgement and it's a horrible feeling.

      Delete
  10. Wow. I really commend you for staying for the entire service. I would have had to leave. I'm sorry you're having a hard time with your faith. Infertility can definitely make you question EVERYTHING. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a very interesting post - thanks for writing it and for bringing this out into the conversation. I was not raised in a religious family or as part of a church but that is not to say I don't believe in God. I also believe that God was totally there for me during our IVF. I believe that I even received a message direct from God when I was walking at the lake earlier this year and this message was what has gotten me through the last 4 months. This particular line that you wrote sums up all religion for me "the laws of the Catholic church were written by men, not God, that humans are fallible, and we have the free will to make our own choices and decisions". I fully believe this and on top of that, I believe that God actually supports these choices and decisions that we make out of our own free will, even if the church refuses to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Faith/religion is a tricky thing, especially when you're dealing with something that seems to test it at every turn. I'm no longer religious, but I can definitely relate to a lot of what you've written here. I didn't lose my religion because of infertility, but I can easily imagine how difficult it is to reconcile the two, especially when the church of your upbringing has nothing but negative misconceptions about the path you're currently on. I hope you can find a church or a personal faith where God and IVF can live harmoniously. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is why my Hubby will never go back to a catholic church. I was raised lutheran which I always describe as catholic, but take out most of the rules. Our pastor has never once talked about that stuff and when he does talk about IF it's in the bible and he talks about hope. I love where you wrote "the laws of the Catholic church were written by men, not God, that humans are fallible, and we have the free will to make our own choices and decisions". Totally believe that and our pastor touches on that a lot too. I hope you find a church that suits you.

    ReplyDelete