July always brings new medical students and residents to deal with. I say deal with because, well, in my line of work they can be a pain in my ass. They tend to be overly cocky and see me as a technician rather than a teammate. For example, I remember being in the OR one July and a resident pointed at me and called me "Hey you." The surgeon said, "Uh, that's Dr. Hey You to you." So I understand the breaking in period quite well. It's fine when it's in terms of my work, but not so much when it comes to my baby making attempts.
My REs office is part of a teaching hospital, which is okay with me. The fellows do most of the monitoring and they did all of my IUIs. They do the retrievals with supervision as well. My favorite fellow just finished his rotation. That means there's a new one whom I will see on Sunday. This makes me a little nervous. The other fellow knows me. This dude doesn't, and if the fellows I've seen in my work are any indication, he could be a guns-a-blazin' hot shot. I just want him to tell me I can trigger. Any other July I could probably tolerate the thought of a new fellow, but friends, there's some crazy shit going down at my clinic and I'm not totally sure what's up.
There's been an odd vibe there lately. On top of that, my phone calls are taking longer than usual to get returned, to the point that it's unacceptably too long. Then the staff photo poster that's usually in the lobby was taken down. Now today, I met a new attending. I took a peek at the website and sure enough, two of the physicians are gone. My RE is the only one left. That makes me uneasy. The new guy has awesome credentials, but not the most glowing recs online from former patients. Plus, he's super old. Not to be ageist, but old makes me nervous. I don't want shaky hands wielding a a needle tipped ultrasound wand at my vagina. I also like my doctors to be up on the latest and greatest and in my experience, older physicians have found their grooves and are unwilling to veer from the path.
This clinic has a team strategy for patient management, which I like. My office functions the same way. They all meet and decide on protocols, etc. I'd seen all three physicians at some point and they all had a part in my last cycle. It's important to feel comfortable with everyone there and it's really irksome to have all of these changes, all at once. So, we're thinking that if this cycle doesn't pan out, we will go elsewhere. Maybe a private clinic where there aren't fellows and residents. Hopefully it will all be a moot point.
So far things are going well with IVF deux. I don't have as many follicles as I did last time, but I'm all about quality over quantity. I'll likely trigger Sunday and have a Tuesday retrieval. Let's hope!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

All sounding good! How many follies are the scans showing? I don't have my ultrasound for another week yet, so I'm in the dark and jabbing away blindly. ;)
ReplyDeleteI hope none of it matters and you are pregnant this cycle. I used to go to a University clinic but switched because they were no inefficient. Sounds like things are progressing well, good Luck!
ReplyDeleteHi. Found you from ICLW. Wishing you lots of luck with this new cycle. I am starting IVF in my next cycle so I am excited to follow your journey.
ReplyDeleteIt's all happening so fast! Triggering tomorrow and retrieval on Tuesday! Sending you well wishes for a smooth process and lots of good eggs retrieved.
ReplyDeleteGood luck for trigger and retrieval!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHoping you won't have to find another clinic! Hope the trigger went well! I will be thinking of you and your retrieval while I am doing my IUI!
ReplyDelete