For the first time in a long time, J and I have been allowing ourselves a little dreaming. He's named the embryos Jedi 1 and 2. Last time it was Blob 1 and 2 so we're moving up, I think! We're enjoying thinking about the possibility that this could actually work, which has led to some interesting conversations.
We were at the store this morning and there was an eyeglass frame display. We got a little silly and were trying them on. We've both worn glasses since we were children. I had Lasik about 15 years ago, but still wear glasses for distance and driving because my vision was that bad (that and I had a weird reaction and won't do it again, but that's another story). You know the "big E" when you get your vision tested? I couldn't even see it. The screen just looked like a white blobby part of the other color blobs that were my world. J's vision is a bit better, but he doesn't really have an interest in Lasik and is happy wearing contacts. His parents wear glasses, and my whole family has vision like mine. If we have biological children, they are pretty much guaranteed to be strapped with glasses at an early age. So we started talking about the less than stellar traits we carry that our children would inherit, starting with vision.
We both have super sensitive skin. Ours is a fragrance free lotion and detergent house and our list of available soaps is really short. Speaking of short, our kid would obviously be vertically challenged.
Of course we do kind of like ourselves and have good traits we hope to pass on, but when we're thinking about bringing a perfect little munchkin into the world, it's kinda fun to teasingly think of the less desirable traits they could end up with that would be totally on us.
What traits do you share with your partner that you hope don't rear their ugly heads in the next generation?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

My hubby and I are both super short so we always joke about how are children are going to be midgets. I would love for our kids to get my husbands amazing curly hair. I really hope those beautiful embryos of yours decide to stick around.
ReplyDeleteLol. We think about this too!
ReplyDeleteI also have sensitive skin that is very very pale that I would not like to pass on. Ive always had rashes and exema and sunburns to deal with, and people saying " you're soooo white".
And im hoping our daughter doesnt get my husbands apple shape or my pear shape. :)
And we have some depression in our family im hoping doesnt get passed down. And my husband is adopted so im interested to see some new traits in the mix. And I hope she gets his dimples.
I think im bringing less to the table! Lol!
Love this! Mr. Husband and I both have bad eyesight, too. In addition to bad eyes, we'll pass on crazy allergies, some serious height (Mr. Husband is 6 ft. 4 in.) and VERY little hair (we both have thin hair that is thinning! All this aside, our child will be perfect and wonderful as will yours! I have everything crossed for you this TWW!
ReplyDeleteBad eyesight and big noses!
ReplyDeleteI think little kids with glasses are kind of adorable, though.
I am genetically missing 2 of my permanent teeth...right next to my upper middle teeth. I had to have implants when I was about 21. But to prepare for that, I had to have more surgeries and dental work in the history of dental work (my history, anyway). ; ) My granddad and aunt had the same problem. I hope my future child/ren don't inherit that!
ReplyDeleteOh this is a fun game... my husband and I play this a lot. Acne, bad eyesight, bad digestion, color blindness, big noses, allergies, anxiety, crooked teeth / bad enamel / underbite, male pattern baldness, OH THERE ARE SO MANY wonderful things we can pass on to our kids! I wonder what kind of mixed bag they will get - hopefully not all of them at once!!
ReplyDeleteWell, our kids, skin wise are pretty screwed. Kitt has psoriasis and I have eczema. Great, right? Our kids will probably just be large lumps of flaking skin.
ReplyDeleteTotally going to have squat little cartoon looking kids. DH and I both are somewhat short and definitely have short dali (Korean for legs). We joke about it all the time! (Also he has a really big head...)
ReplyDeleteI hope our kids don't get my super dry skin. Hubby has nice skin. Some things that have been passed from Hubbys dad to him...kidney stones, gluten allergy and major snoring! I hope our kids get none of that. Hope they get my teeth. 29 years not one cavity. Hubby has a mouth full of fillings.
ReplyDelete