I'm slowly processing this whole religion struggle I'm having. Don't get me wrong, I'm for sure one of those "Cafeteria Catholics." I know it's not a good thing to be and not something I should be proud of. I have found a church "philosophy" that I love in Fraciscan parishes. It is a warm, open minded, progressive, accepting environment. Trouble is, I recently switched churches and don't know others in the congregation well at this point. I'm thinking of confiding in someone at my old church to see what their thoughts are on the subject. Or track down the woman I saw from my church in the RE's office, but something tells me she didn't want to be contacted.
Mr. Right reminded me that when we went to our Pre-Cana class I was outraged on what we learned in the NFP portion of the course. I was excited to learn about it. I wanted to know why the church doesn't allow for birth control and what made NFP more acceptable than a barrier method. The instructors flat out told the class that they "Weren't going to get into that." WHAT? You want us to learn and embrace this method of planning our family and aren't going to tell use WHY we should chose this? We just should because you said so? And when they told us that birth control pills cause breast cancer and that by taking the pill you are causing an average of 8 abortions a year, I about flipped my lid. I think, I HOPE, that the young couple they chose to teach this portion of the course was just uninformed, but shame on them for being so horrifically uninformed and shame on the parish for allowing those untruths to be taught. Anyway, he told me this to remind me that for some reason, the church is off on the reproduction thing in general. The best thing we can do is pray and follow our hearts. For now, that's what we're going to do... and maybe get in touch with someone at my old church just so I can get an intelligent point of view on the subject.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I've struggled with If and religion as well, but for me its because I've been mad at God... I've only gone to church about 5 times in the last few years because every time I go I cry. I feel like a pretty bad Christian but even now that I'm pregnant I'm not sure that I'm not still just a little mad at God.
ReplyDeleteI cry whenever I plop my butt in a pew too. What's really fun is when I'm kneeling and praying for a baby and then I sit back and the 11 month old in the pew behind me has decided that my pew is a better place for "cruising" and is walking up and down the seat, holding on to the back. It's like, I prayed for a baby and got one! Can I take her home? That happened twice!
ReplyDelete