Today I quit my chorus.
My heart is a little broken.
I've been singing since I left the womb. My family is full of musicians. It's my thing. It's what I do. It's what I've always done. Those of you who have followed my blog for awhile have probably read posts about rehearsals and performances. Unfortunately, I have to walk away for awhile.
When I married J, we had to move to his house which is 45 minutes from my old house and my office. My chorus rehearsed about 15 minutes from where my life used to be, making rehearsals about an hour from home now. So on Mondays, I would leave my house at 7 AM, work, head out to grab a bite, get to rehearsal, sing my pea-pickin heart out, drive home, walk in the door around 11 PM. It was an excruciatingly long day, but I couldn't imagine my life without song, specifically without my chorus.
It's a group of 60 amazing women from all walks of life. There are women from college age through the golden years, straight, gay, and probably something in between. About half of the chorus has doctoral degrees and of course, most are moms. It is a unique, and diverse group of talented women. Here's a peak at our sound:
Gets ya doesn't it? That was Thom.pson's Alleluia, performed by my chorus, which I can't name because I want to stay semi-anonymous.
Ever since fertility treatments started hard core, chorus has been more of a trial than a joy. No only is the distance an issue, but I had to schedule injections around rehearsal time. I was bringing lunch totes packed with ice and drugs so I could shoot up in the bathroom, trying to find a point to sneak out at hit up the men's room for shots to lessen the possibility of being walked in on.
Of course there was also the issue of being with 60 women. You would think that with that many highly educated and diverse musicians there would be some amazing conversations. Sadly, it was usually about, you guessed it, kids. That is ALL the women my age talked about. They wore it as a badge and I clearly did not fit into the clique. Even the older women were talking about their own kids and grandkids as a running dialogue. I ended up feeling very alone in rehearsals.
Singing is an emotional release for me. Sitting with all of these women, feeling left out of conversations, sneaking off to shoot up with baby juice, and then pouring my heart into my music was just getting to be too much. There were plenty of times I spent a good chunk of rehearsal hiding tears. It was time to take a step away. If this cycle does work, I'd be due right around the spring concert. If it doesn't work, there's no way I'm spending another season in the mommy-pit.
I finally bit the bullet today and let my director know I wouldn't be back this season. I just told him the distance was hard and I had too much of my plate right now, but think he has an inkling of what's going on. He knew J and I wanted to start a family right away and it's pretty obvious that that didn't happen. In his very kind response, he told me to give J his best and that I could come back whenever I was ready.
I'm thinking of finding a mixed chorus closer to home once this all settles down, but right now I will be musicless and that makes me sad. Dammit, I suck at baby making, but I am a good musician.
See exhibit A: Me performing with a band at a resort in Jamaica on our honeymoon (long story):
Yeah, I'm tootin my own horn, and I don't care. It's my blog.
One day, my life will feel like it's mine again, but until then, I'm going to keep on keepin' on.
What has infertility shuffled around in your life?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

As a fellow Choir girl who soooo misses her days in the chorus....I can totally relate to this post on so many levels. So sorry you have to give up what you love for now...but obviously it wasn't all love since you spent a lot of time in tears or turmoil while you were there. I think finding a mixed choir closer to home is a great idea and stepping back from this choir is a good idea.
ReplyDeleteHugs....I know it is tough...but I'm hopeful you will have something way more exciting to concentrate on very soon.
kd
Aw, I'm sorry that this chapter has to end for you. I love music too... wish we could join a chorus together (my singing needs a little improvement but I do love it). I've been thinking of you all the time lately and hoping those embryos are implanting away! Would love to have a little hapa baby along with you.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry that this has had to finish for you. I know how much of a wonderful release singing can be. I have always loved to sing and used to sing at least weekly both as a soloist and in a group. I would like to get back into it again but like your group I suspect I would just find a bunch of mums and grans. I am thinking about going back to my old drama school to evening classes with lots of budding actors (no chance they will be considering career ruining kids). Maybe, if I still have the courage to put myself out there. It is a pity we are all so far apart, otherwise we could start an ALI choir.
ReplyDeleteThe clip from jamica is beautiful ... You have an incredible voice and I can see how this decision would make you sad. Hopefully it is for the nest and you can find that enjoyment closer to home.
ReplyDeleteI'm a choir girl, too, and miss it every day. There's nothing like being with a group of trained people who share a passion for music. I hope that you are able to find your way back to a group when the time is right.
ReplyDeleteToot that horn all you want. With talent like that, you have every right. I'm sorry you have to give up something you love (and don't love so much, under the circumstances), but I hope it's only temporary.
ReplyDeleteGo ahead and toot your own horn. You have a great voice. I'm sorry you had to stop something you love. I hope you can go back soon.
ReplyDelete