When Mr. Right and I started dating, his mom was less than keen on the possibility of him settling down with a white chick. In fact, she dubbed me "The White Girl."
Traditional Asian parents tend to like the idea of their kids ending up with other Asians. This really bothered me at first. I saw it as a small minded, biggoted thought, but it's really not. It goes back to the whole legacy thing I was talking about the other day. When I got to know MIL Right better, she grew to like me (I mean come one, what's not to like), but then the problem wasn't that I was white - it was that I was Catholic. I couldn't win! Over time, our relationship helped me figure it out.
It wasn't the color of my skin or shape of my eyes, it was the culture I practiced. She needed to know that her culture would be passed down to her grandchildren and that my Catholic self wasn't going to deny her that legacy. I would never dream of keeping that from my children and ever since she learned that, we've gotten along swimmingly.
That brings us to the infertility issue. She doesn't know. My mom knows every excruciating detail, but when MIL Right says "Why you no have baby?!" All we say is, "We'll let you know when it happens. Promise." Mostly it's because of the language gap. I mean, it's not like reproductive terminology is part of Mr. Right's Korean vocabulary. He says that her knowing would be more stressful because she would worry a lot since she wouldn't totally understand what's going on. I understand and respect that. The thing is, I wonder how it looks culturally that we aren't popping out grandkids. Could the White Girl end up bringing some shame to the family? I worry about that.
October 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment