I remember a kid I used to work with who always said "It's not fair!" Her teacher, a dear friend of mine, used to try to teach her what it really meant for something to be fair or not fair. I was thinking of her today when I actually told my mom, at the ripe old age of 33, "It's not fair!"
I dated a LOT before I met Mr. Right and it sucked. I hated dating. I hated being single. As long as my single friends are hoping to find a mate, I will do my best not to be condescending to them because good Lord was that not fun. But when I finally met the right guy, it was the right time in my life. We had careers, stable employment, home(s), and a dog. We were happy and ready. We started trying before the wedding, just in case it didn't go too smoothly, but it seemed like all of our friends were getting pregnant really easily - even in their 30s. That's what I think isn't fair. We did all the right things. Mr. Right and I will make great parents. I know it, dang it! And I see all of these people with too many kids, who are unemployed, who are next to divorce, popping out kids like freakin' pez dispensers! Why isn't it easy for us? It's not fair, I tell you!
My mom told me to get over it. It is what it is. I know she's right, but I want to wallow in my "It's not fair" for a minute.
At least she told me she was proud of me for being brave. It might not be fair, but at least I'm being brave.
October 2, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment