Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

September 21, 2011

The First Visit to the RE

When we were getting ready to go to the RE for the first time, I googled and googled and googled "what to expect at the first appointment."  I'm the kind of person who likes, no NEEDS, to be prepared for all situations.  I picture all the worst case scenarios and try to come up with a "just in case" plan.  I know - not the healthiest way to be, but right now, that's who I am.  Anywho, all I could find were things like "you'll fill out paperwork, bring your charts, you'll talk..." duh!  I wanted to know what I would feel.  What might he say?  Will they do tests right then?  Should I schedule it for a certain cycle day?  No one could tell me... so I'm putting it in my own darned blog.

I wasn't sure if they would want to do tests or anything, so I just scheduled it on a day Mr. Right and I could both go.  That was fine.  I was in the middle of my cycle so they scheduled testing from there.  I didn't have to wait until a new cycle started or anything.

The day before the appointment, I felt like I had something stuck in my throat.  You know that feeling you get when you're trying not to cry?  Just like that.  I couldn't decide if I was coming down with something or if it was nerves.  I'm thinking it was nerves since I didn't get sick and it went away after the appointment.  Big dork right here.  We got there and checked in, the people at the check in counter were very friendly, but since I'm in the south it would be weird if they weren't.  There was another couple there... we didn't make eye contact.  It's a "What are you in for" kind of feeling.

We didn't wait long at all and they came back and took my vitals.  My pulse and BP were high and I usually have low BP so I'm pretty sure my emotions had literally gotten the best of me.  They took Mr. Right and I in another room and told us the doc would be in.  We didn't wait long at all.  We were sitting at a table, not like an exam room or anything.  He took histories from both of us and looked my charts.  It was funny because I use fertilityfriend and chart every little symptom, every time we have sex (which says "BD" for Baby Dance on the chart - the most ludicrous euphemism ever), I put it all on there.  He didn't even care where the software called ovulation.  He said "These things are always so damned complicated.  Show me where your first positive ovulation predictor kit result was.  I just need that and your temps."  I liked that.  To the point.  He was friendly enough, but to the point and didn't molly-coddle.  I need that.

From there, he had a suspicion of what the problem might be and told us what we'd need to do.  Progesterone on CD 21, a bunch of blood tests stuff on CD 3, tests for Mr. Right, and then we'd get back together and decide what to do from there.  There was no talk of treatment, just figuring out what was up.  I thought that was good.  I'd be worried if they started throwing IVF at us on day one.

So the tests are done, we're waiting for the rest of the results, and then we meet again.  That was it!  It was nothing to get my blood pressure up over.

Oh!  Except for the part where we were on our way out through the lobby and I recognized someone.  I saw the look of horror on her face and I pretended that I didn't see her.  She did the same.  I have yet to understand the shame attached to infertility, but maybe that will be part of this journey as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment