But on to the embryo move, AKA "I hope I don't pop out a white baby."
It actually happened Tuesday. The new clinic was short staffed Friday because of the holiday weekend and they asked us if we could move it up. So first we went to the new clinic to pick up the shipper. It looked like R2D2. Fitting since we had named the embryos from this cycle "the Jedi." We paid our modest fee for use of the equipment and the liquid nitrogen and were on our way.
![]() |
| Look at those calves on my husband! |
He took copies of our drivers licenses, which sounded really secure and official, and had us wait in the waiting room. He took the shipper off with him and said he'd bring it back out to us.
We waited for about 15 minutes and out he came. He handed us the shipper and copies of the release we signed. That was it. No instructions. It was a bitter sweet goodbye since I always imagined that I would leave that clinic pregnant with lots of thank yous to hand out. Instead, I just couldn't wait to get the heck out of there.
We put the shipper in the car and belted it in. I sat in the backseat with them. I probably didn't need to, but I was really anxious. Don't judge.
![]() |
| They don't make car seats for embryos. |
It was an uneventful ride to the new clinic. I asked J to turn the Disney Channel on for them, but he wouldn't. We hauled it upstairs and the embryologist came right out. She asked us to come back with her to watch her get us checked in. Cool! She opened R2D2 and took out a canister that looked like the toner cartridge from a copy machine. Then she asked The Question. "Did they give you any paperwork?"
All we had was the copy of the release. There was no paperwork in with our embies. Nothing to say what was in there, who they belonged to, what the quality was, or that they were frozen on day 3. Again, NOTHING TO SAY WHO THEY BELONGED TO! The embryologist asked us to hang out in the waiting room while she sorted it all out.
Now, we didn't open anything the whole time, obviously. I knew that the R2D2 thing just held the stuff that held the real goods, but I still wasn't opening anything. I did know there were supposed to be papers accompanying the embies, but you'd think that a reputable clinic that is supposedly among the top in the country would at least have the sense to include information identifying EMBRYOS and their "parents" before putting them in someone's sedan.
![]() |
| Embies get settles in their new home. |
If I never see anyone from the old clinic again it will be too effing soon.




Oh gosh, how utterly crap. I am glad it looks like they are all their safely now though.
ReplyDeleteGlad your totsicles made it to their new home safely. Good riddance to that old clinic!!
ReplyDeleteHow frustrating! I can't believe your old clinic (although, actually, sadly, I can). Glad you got the embabies out safely and hopefully this new clinic will be the answer! Lots of luck!
ReplyDeleteUm, wow. Have I mentioned how glad I am you guys found a new clinic?
ReplyDeleteAnd--is it weird I think your little R2D2 looks so cute strapped into the back seat of your car?
Jeeeeez. I am so bloody happy that your embies are in safe hands now. How ridiculous!
ReplyDeleteWhen will you start using them for frozen cycles? *hugs*
Ugh. I'm so glad you're not at the old clinic any more because the way they handled this is FREAKING RIDICULAS!!! Seriously, no paperwork?!?!!? What gives? I'm glad that the serial numbers match the straws and you are now in better hands.
ReplyDeleteAnd I totally would have been bear-hugging the canister all the way to the new clinic. Hugging, kissing and singing along. The photo of R2D2 made me smile, too. Babies first secured form of transportation in a moving vehicle.
What the hell????? I'm glad you have your number memorized and that it matched!!
ReplyDeleteOh, my gosh! That is intense! My nerves would have been shot the entire time. I'm glad they have a new home and...7 embabies!!! Good job you guys! I had none to freeze and that sounds like babies and siblings and lots of chances. :)
ReplyDeleteI remember when I felt like I was entering veteran status too...pretty much right after our first IVF failed. I wasn't sure if I should feel proud that I could give support to others new to IVF or saddened to have that title at all since it meant our first cycle failed.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you are finally done with your old clinic. I can't believe all the crap they put you through. If I were you, I would find out who to contact to report all the problems you had. If not for yourselves, then for other patients who are still with that clinic or will be in the future so an attempt can be made for improvement.
That clinic is unbelievable. Wow. Just wow. I am so relieved for you to be moving on to something better. I know what you mean about feeling like a veteran -- I feel like a veteran and a newbie at the same time because it took us so long to start treatment. But you, J, and R2D2 (these ARE the droids you're looking for) are getting there, and we're all pulling for you.
ReplyDeleteWow, that is crazy about our clinic! Thank god you are out of there and your embryos are safe and sound!! Thinking of you and hoping this is your time!
ReplyDeleteBless your heart. So glad you are moving onto new horizons! xx
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! What is wrong with that old clinic?! Give them a horrible review! So so happy your beautiful little embies are safe and sound in their new temporary home.
ReplyDeleteI love the pic of them buckled into your backseat!
The BFPs hurt. They do. I so feel you on that one. But it sounds awful to say it.
ReplyDeleteIn other news, glad your embies made it safe and sound to the new clinic, but boo to your old clinic for forgetting the paperwork! Jeez, isn't that like, embryo transfer 101? Anyways, glad it's over and all is well.
I.COULD..DIE! I don't know where I've been or how I missed this, but seriously... During all of this did you have an out of body experience? Like I am carrying my embryos out of my car ino a clinic.
ReplyDeleteYou haven't lived until you have insane things like this on your to do list! I feel like I'm constantly turning a new corner where I thought... This just can not get any more rediculous... And then it does. Im so glad everything got sorted out! Your white baby comment made me really laugh out loud, because I've had the same exact conversation with my husband, just a different race! :)