Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

September 25, 2012

Let's Talk About CMV

Cytomegalovirus

Say that five times fast.

Pardon me while I get on a soap box for a moment.  If you're here from ICLW, please know that this isn't something I do often... or ever for that matter.  I'm just in a mood, I suppose.

We all know about taking our vitamins, staying away from the cat liter, and giving up sushi, but have you ever heard of CMV?  Congenital CMV is the most common congenital infection there is.  It affects more children than Spina Bifida, Downs Syndrome, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, or Pediatric HIV.  Really.  And you've probably never heard of it.

CMV is a virus.  That's it.  It's really common and runs rampant in day cares and preschool classes everywhere and on its own is not a big deal.  You probably had it and didn't even know it.  Once you've had it, your body creates antibodies for it and you're generally good to go on the CMV front.  The problems happen when you haven't had CMV and you end up getting it for the first time when you're pregnant.  You can pass it on to your unborn child.  Many children born with congenital CMV have no ill effects.  Some seem fine at birth and develop symptoms several years later.  Some are very ill from birth and have significant developmental delays.

Congenital CMV is one of the leading causes of deafness, hence, I deal with it every day.  Kids with Congenital CMV can shed the virus until kindergarten.  Since I'm around these kids, and snotty noses in general, when we started trying to conceive, I asked my doctor for a titer to see if I'd had CMV in the past.*  I wanted to know for peace of mind, although I was sure I must have had it seeing as though I've been with kids who are shedding the virus for the last 10 years or so.  Surprisingly, I came up negative.  Never had it.  No antibodies to protect any precious fetus that may decide to hang around at some point.**

The good thing is that preventative measures are things we should all be doing, pregnant or not.  Washing your hands a lot is the top of the list!  You don't have to run out and get screened for CMV or start interrogating every kid with a snotty nose you see.  The CMV Action Network lists the following:
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for 15-20 seconds, especially after changing diapers, feeding a young child, wiping a young child's nose or drool, and handling children's toys
  • Do not share food, drinks, or eating utensils used by young children
  • Do not put a child's pacifier in your mouth
  • Do not share a toothbrush with a young child
  • Avoid contact with saliva when kissing a child
  • Clean toys, countertops, and other surfaces that come into contact with children's urine or saliva
I don't mean for this post to frighten anyone or make anyone uncomfortable, but I wanted to post about it because CMV is something that people just don't know about and should.  Knowledge is power and just by being vigilant about good hygiene, you can take steps to protect yourself and your munchkin.

For more information, visit www.stopcmv.org

*When I asked her to test me, she said, "You know, if you do get it, it's not that big of a deal."  I know quite a few parents who would disagree strongly with that.  Doctors are pretty ill informed when it comes to CMV.  

** My mother is also CMV negative and she is almost 60 (she only knows this because she's an avid blood donor and they give her blood to babies).  We suspect that we may have some genetic protection from CMV, but I'm not taking any chances!

8 comments:

  1. This is incredibly informative! Thank you for spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from ICLW! Thank you for sharing this information and for increasing awareness about this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. not to be all scare-mongery but actually if you're concerned about it you need to know whether your partner has it as well. When you look for a sp.erm donor you're supposed to find someone who is CMV- if you are, although if you're CMV+ you can do either. However, because they wash the sperm before IUI even if your donor/partner is CMV+ as long as the infection isn't current (there's an antibody they can test for, I can't remember if IgM or IgG is the good/dormant one now) the chances of passing it on are super minuscule - at least that's what they told me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an excellent post! Thank you for sharing this. I now have a REASON for my obsessive hand washing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this post, very informative. Washing hands is so important to stop the passing of so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also tested negative for CMV a few years ago, which I couldn't believe after so many years in deaf ed. Right after that, I worked with a kid who had it, and I got a pretty bad cold shortly after my first visit with him (he was always snotty and drooly). I hoped I would get it, knowing I wasn't pregnant, but I haven't gotten tested since. I should!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks so much for the very useful post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello - I'm catching up on my blog reading / commenting after having my FET last week and I just wanted to say thank you so much for sharing this information. I had not heard of this virus before and I totally agree, knowledge is power!

    ReplyDelete