Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

September 11, 2012

Return of the Jedi: Baseline

Baseline went well.  I'm cleared to start meds on Saturday for our FET.  I met a new Wand today.  All Wands are alike.  Go figure.  The nurse who did the ultrasound really pointed out landmarks and stuff which was nice!  I knew what was my lining and could spot a giant ovary full of follies, but she showed me blood flow and stuff.  I've never had a thorough explanation before, and apparently I have been looking at the damned thing upside down.

They wanted to do a mock transfer, so I had that done today too.  Easy peasy.  BUT whenever I meet a new physician and they ask what I do for a living, a whole conversation ensues.  I'm an audiologist.  I work with cochlear implants and I only see children.  (There, I said it! At least this blog is not googleable.) The minute I answer the "what do you do" question, I see their eyes pop up from between my knees and the questions start.  Doctors have genuinely great questions about implants and I'm really very happy to talk about it.  I love my job and I love talking to others about how awesome implants are.  Here's the deal - I would much rather these conversations started when I was wearing pants!  At least this time she had the decency to let me sit up and put my legs together.

19 comments:

  1. Definitely a better conversation to have sitting upright and with pants on. So excited everything checked out today and forward you go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I know the feeling. On one end, those types of conversations do make the time go faster (uncomfortable silence is never fun), but I completely understand where you're coming from.

    Congrats on the baseline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I went to the gyno, my mom warned me that he'd talk about the weather and he totally did! I guess when you're working with infertile women, you can't repeat your weather conversation every time you see them.

      Delete
  3. Hey Lisa, what's your protocol looking like for this FET? I just started my cycle as well and I'm looking at a transfer on 9/26. Curious if I have a cycle buddy in you! Good news about the baseline. Let the games begin, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about a week later - transfer scheduled for 10/4. Close enough, though! I'm be rooting loudly for you!

      Delete
  4. Lisa I am like WAY behind on your blog thanks to Blogger kicking you out of my reader. Stooopid technology. BUT I am so excited about your upcoming cycle. Reading through your recent posts it looks like your new clinic is fantastic, too. Doesn't having a good clinic make such a difference?

    Oh, and my nerd level sky rocketed when I read that you work with cochlear implants! Such an amazing development and wow what an awesome job to go to daily! Now I want to bombard you with questions, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, email me, girl! I love talking about it! :)

      Delete
  5. Now I'm super interested too!! I'm a SLP and work with the birth-5 population. Why do you have to have such an interesting job? If you didn't, people would likely leave you alone when your pants are off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should start saying I'm a sanitation engineer.

      Delete
  6. Glad the everything went well! Hopefully there won't be anymore pantless work questions, haha! BFF and I joke about the pantless hug she once got from her sweet ob before she had her baby. No pants makes everything weird :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for a great appointment! Boo for awkward (no matter how fascinating) questions coming from between your legs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huzzah! Baseline is good... now to get through the rest of the leg-spreadin' goodness. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I laughed out loud with the jedi and wand connection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally pulling for you gal! Also now you've got a great answer for a job interview question.. "why, yes I can even talk professionally about cochlear implants sans pants" Er well, maybe that wouldn't totally work out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, pants schmants. Who needs them? I can't believe you don't love talking shop while on your back with your feet in the stirrups! ;-)

    That's so cool that they explained it to you. I always try to look too, and I can see the ovaries and the follicles but when he's measuring my lining I have no idea what the h-e-double-hockey-sticks he's looking at.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL, the conversations that happen when I'm pants-less (and panty-less) are equal parts mortifying and laughable! I find it odd every time that my RE or nurse wants to carry on a conversation with me while I'm half naked and they're poking around my lady parts. I'd much prefer that they not be distracted from their duties.

    ReplyDelete