It's our Date-iversary!
Let me 'splain.
I met J through a very popular online dating site. I had been doing online dating for years and years and years and years. Yeah - a lot of time, I'm ashamed to say. I had pretty much given up on the whole thing. My profile was still on the site, but I wasn't actively searching or anything thing. One September day, I felt compelled to check my account. There was an email from a guy who did not fit any of my snooty parameters (ie, he wasn't a tall white dude with at least a graduate degree). It was an easy, casual email and I noticed his profile said he was from Chicago. I always get along with fellow mid-westerners, so I figured what the heck. He asked me out for coffee the following weekend... his first (and last) online date ever.
I met him at the designated meeting place (every online dater knows that you don't let them pick you up and you make the first date short, sweet, and in public!). We quickly figured out that neither of us were actual coffee drinkers. Thankfully, there was a Ben and Jerry's next to the Starbucks, so we got something we both really love... ICE CREAM! I was charmed by his easy smile and relaxed demeanor. We just talked and it was so easy. I don't know how to explain it other than to say it just... was! I know I should say there were unicorns farting rainbows and galloping around us, but that wasn't what happened. It just felt warm. Like I had known him forever and this was what was supposed to be. On some level, I just knew this was it. Like the billion years of prayers had been simply answered in this wonderful man in front of me. In fact, on our wedding day, a friend played me a voicemail I had sent her a few days after this date saying that I had found my lobster.
Since that first cone of Chunky Monkey with J, not a day has gone by where I haven't heard his voice and I love it that way.
Today is the anniversary of our first date, and every year we celebrate it by heading back to the Ben and Jerry's and having us some ice cream. We love this day. We get to celebrate us and happiness. It's all about the happy today. Not the mushy, not the the trials and tribulations, just the happy.
And just for the record, he says I was late on our first date, but I saved the text message exchange five minutes before our scheduled meeting time that says I was parking, so he can bite me on that one. AND he only lived in Chicago for the first five minutes or so of his life. Online daters are liars. I lied about my height. :)
September 12, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Love it! So sweet and adorable and really makes me want some ice cream right about now!
ReplyDeleteLove it! Did you know that it was Manly Monday on stupid stork? I realize it isn't Monday, but wednesday is when I catch up on blogs so you are fitting right in there with my life anyway. Still if you haven't checked out her blog, totally worth it.
ReplyDeletehttp://stupidstork.blogspot.com/2012/09/a-weird-little-glimpse-into-my-marriage.html
I love this. My DH and I met on one of those sites too. And it was pretty much just as you described it...it just felt comfortable and easy. And we put a lot more effort into our dating anniversary than we do into our Wedding anniversary because it was just so freaking awesome!
ReplyDeleteHappy Dating Anniversary.
kd
Such a beautiful story! It put a smile on my face. Happy Date-iversary! xoxo
ReplyDeleteHow cute! I love your story.
ReplyDeleteSo cute. Congratulations on your date-iversary and eat up lots of ice cream for you and your upcoming (incoming?) embies!
ReplyDeleteI love how you celebrate that day, what an awesome idea!!
ReplyDeleteSuuuch a cute story! I met my hubby online too. And I knew right away with him as well.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of such a simple date-iversary. Just getting ice cream and remembering where it all started. I love traditions!
Aw, great story! Happy Date-iversary!
ReplyDeleteHappy Date-iversary! Love how you celebrate it. Totally makes me want Chunky Monkey!
ReplyDeleteI love this story. Happy date-iversary one day late!
ReplyDeleteHappy date-iversary! What a great story.
ReplyDeleteCute! Happy Date-iversary!
ReplyDeleteMmm...now I need some ice cream. ;)