There was a dental visit this week. You'd think that sitting in the dentist's chair with dental tools all up in your grill would be a safe place to avoid baby talk, especially when the hygienist is a dude, but nooooo! Not when you're one of the lucky infertile!
Minor back-story: My dentist's office is right next door to my actual office. We are the only two offices still standing in our complex, hence, the staff there knows a little bit more about me than your average dental office might. Plus, when they have a bunch of cancellations their receptionist comes over and offers up cleanings to fill their schedule. I have very clean teeth.
DH (Dental Hygienist): Oof! I bumped my head on the light.
Me: Oh! Be careful.
DH: Ah, it's okay. My daughter bumped her head the other day.
Me: Oh no! Is she okay?
DH: Oh yeah, got a little knot, but it'll be fine.
Enter long story about child jumping on the bed and many pointless details about exactly what he said to her at each and every moment of the jumping on the bed fiasco and head bumping aftermath. I won't bore you. Besides, my eyes glazed over and I'm pretty sure I don't remember any of it.
Me: I'm glad she's okay.
DH: Yeah. So you guys have been married for a while now. When are you going to have some kids?
Aaaaaand SCENE!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey girl heyyy from ICLW!
ReplyDeleteI would've reached up and hit him on the head myself. Freaking fertiles.
Insert a big UGH bang head against wall. That is such a personally discussion between people with a closer relationship then the DH. talking about taking things for granted.
ReplyDeleteGRRR!! Wish others would have to take sensitivity lessons! I am sorry that the dentist was not a safe place today!!
ReplyDeleteYou know those lovely suction devices that they put in your mouth so you don't drool all over yourself? That would have promptly went to places on that DH's body where the sun rarely shines.
ReplyDeleteGlad your teeth are cleaned.
uggh, I can't even count the number of awkward baby questions I've gotten at the dentist's office. It perfectly explains why I am slightly overdue for me cleaning.
ReplyDeleteOh, my gosh! I hope you told him that you have a frozen embryo transfer planned, and if that works out, maybe in about nine months, does that satisfy his schedule for you and your husbands reproduction?
ReplyDeleteDude, always stick with the golden rule, if married couples don't have kids after a couple of years, it's probably that they either don't want them, they don't want them yet, or they are having trouble conceiving, either way NOT your business.
I'm so sorry!
Hello from ICLW! You would think that a dentist office would provide you some sort of sanctuary, but I guess not. Sorry you had to deal with that!
ReplyDeleteMy dentist (and the hygienists) are so nosy about fertility matters too! And they always ask if I'm taking medications, which means I have to describe my treatment cycles and clomid. Ugh!
ReplyDeleteWho says that? I'm so sorry you had to deal with him.
ReplyDeleteridiculousness... it's one thing when people do it in normal conversation but to broadside you while you're having your TEETH CLEANED? a whole new level of social faux pas.
ReplyDeleteThe dentists office is the worst. So so sorry Lisa !
ReplyDeleteHi from ICLW! And from an actual hapa! (I'm half Japanese). I've actually been avoiding my dentist (and hairstylist and...) because I can't handle the baby questions.
ReplyDeleteOh man,I literally have a dentist appt tomorrow. I can't stand the "can you have x rays are you pregnant talk"...yuk
ReplyDeleteHi back from ICLW. I wanted to visit your blog and then I really enjoy your insight into things. I know it's not the same situation because I have 2 older children but our angel baby was our last and even if we want more we can't have more. I've been struggling with Doctors and Dentists and everyone asking me 'Is there any chance you are pregnant?' because I always just want to tell them everything! I want to just let it all spill out and over flow and ugh.
ReplyDeleteI recently had all my teeth removed in preparation for dentures (on September 4th) and I had to be asked by 5 different people before the procedure if I was pregnant. I almost started hitting people.
I hope my rambling here hasn't put you off. Also thank you for your sweet comments on my post. I am very pleased to hear you think about my blanket idea
Bless you sweetie. You are in my thoughts
Melissa
Hello from ICLWland! It still amazes me (not really, because, you know, people are people) how many people are without common sense these days. Maybe it's because I'm personally so aware, but I'd like to think that even BEFORE I started TTC, I would never have asked anyone that questions, because it's just way too personal, even of family members! Ugh!
ReplyDeleteUgh, how rude. I get that they have to ask if you are pregnant when you are having x-rays, but really. This question should not be ok to ask in our society anymore. So, STAY OFF THE PREGNANCY TOPIC DENTAL PEOPLE - and other people in general!
ReplyDelete