Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

September 2, 2012

A Milestone Menage A Trois

This is my 200th post.  Within the next two weeks, we'll come upon the anniversary of my first visit to the RE and my first blog post.  Instead of depressing myself and all of you with three depressing posts in rapid succession, I'll try to make this one big post about what the last year and 200 posts has brought.  Or is that brung?  Is brung a word?  I'm pretty sure it isn't.

To go back and look at the posts from last September is like revisiting a diary for me.  There were so many things going though my head back then.  On one hand, I was hoping to tempt fate by starting an infertility blog.  A sad, smug, voice in my head thought that if I went so far as to start a blog, our first round of treatment would work and then  boy would I look silly!  On the other hand, the opposing little voice was afraid that this would be a long road.  But even that voice was intending for this space to be a place where I could record the journey and offer hope to others when they saw a shiny happy Hapa family at the end.

Instead, a year later, I have an unexpected life.  While I wouldn't wish this road on anyone, I feel like infertility had tried to test my fledgling marriage and we've been able to give it the middle finger.  I've learned that this man I married is 100% my partner and best friend.  The "for worse" part?  We can handle it.  It's a good thing to know this early in the game.  I've learned lessons that I didn't know I needed to learn.  Lessons about empathy, judgement, and identity.  I've learned that my body sucks, but my soul is more resilient than I knew it could be.  I've met new friends who I may never actually meet.  A whole community of amazing women who have kept me sane and become my strongholds.

Back then, the thought of not having children would pierce me like nothing else.  Even the thought of it would send me into racked sobs.  Now, a year later, I have a Child-free/less folder in my reader and I so look forward to unread posts showing up in that space.  Now the thought of not having children seems like an alternative rather than a painful sentence.  Somedays it actually feels like a welcome alternative.

So here were are, three IUIs, two IVFs, and a two-for-one surgery later and not a double pink line to show for it.  It's been a rough year, an emotional year, but an important year.  I can't say that I've reached a point where I'm glad to be experiencing infertility, but I am grateful for what I am learning.

10 comments:

  1. First of all Happy 200th post! I couldn't agree with you more about the things learned while going through infertility. I just mentioned in someone else s blog how it made me realize how strong my marriage was. Also, it has made me stronger as a person. So for all the bad things we have gone through in the past two in half years, it has also given me positive things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think every single one of us thinks we are tempting fate by starting an infertility blog, thinking that it means of course you'll get pregnant right away and will abandon the blog. I wonder who that actually happens for! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire you for being grateful for the journey and for seeing those hidden blessings. Hoping that this next year will be easier for you :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here, here! Having similar thoughts to your's regarding where I'm at a year later. As you stated, not what I was expecting. Wishing us both a fruitful next year filled with change and much happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While we would never wish this journey on ourselves or anyone else, it's nice to be able to find blessings in it. Especially the strengthening of a marriage. And because you know that ultimately you will be ok living child-free, I feel like karma (and your new clinic) will give you your little hapa baby. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course "brung" isn't a word. It's "brang," silly! ;-)

    I'm so glad you are able to feel like you're giving infertility the middle finger. You have had a rough year, and you've come through it strong and knowing what you want and need, and your new clinic seems promising, and I hope for ALL THE THINGS for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 200th post!!! Finding the good in this horrible journey is so difficult, but isn't it amazing some of the good things it brings? Being stronger as a person and a couple is an amazing blessing and I am thankful for it every day. So happy to see all the strength in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post! Not because infertility still sucks after nearly a year and 200 posts, but because you haven't let it define who you are or wreck your marriage. In fact, it's been quite the opposite. I have nothing but really good feelings about your new clinic, and I'm sure the next milestone you'll be celebrating is that BFP!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are correct, "brung" is definitely not a word. ;) And happy 200th post! I'm sure it's bitter sweet but I'm still praying for you to see your BFP sooner rather than later. It's wonderful to reflect and realize how much you've learned over the past year - at least I think that about myself - even if all the reflections aren't positive ones. They are usually the ones where I've learned the most about myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate that you have to write this post but I love that you have found the positives that have come from it. Stories like yours remind me that worthiness has nothing to do with how one becomes a parent because there is no question that you deserve a little hapa to shower all your love on.
    Keep the dream alive and please keep on writing. I can wait for the day that you announce that your dream has finally come true. I know there will be lots of friends cheering and tearing up at the news, me included.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete