I met a new little dude yesterday. He was a doe-eyed African American little munchkin who toddled right up to me with his arms up in the air. I picked him up and his plopped his head right on my shoulder. I instinctively started patting his back and swaying back and forth while I talked to his mom. He promptly fell asleep. I warned her that her son was behaving dangerously since I was half tempted to run to my car with him and take him home Brittney Spears style, sans car seat.
One of my biggest fears when contemplating adoption is the one I think most women have, but don't always talk about. I worry that I won't be able to love an adopted child as I would a child that J and I created. But in that moment, with little dude drooling on my shoulder, it felt less scary.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Aww, he sounds like a sweet kid. :) What a nice little moment!! Even if you had to give him back.
ReplyDeleteo.m.g. so sweet. I fell the way you said sometimes, but then I hear stories like this or watch that movie 'life as we know it' and i know i could love an adopted child. eventually.
ReplyDeleteI fall in love with the kids I work with all the time. Which makes me think I could totally adopt. And would, if only their parents would hand over custody to me.
ReplyDelete