Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

March 3, 2012

Domesticated

I really struggled with today's photo assignment.  I'm not a very "domestic" person and sometimes I feel like I should be better at that.  I mean, if I can't make my husband a baby, shouldn't I at least make him a pie?

Me:  So, my photo assignment today is 'domestic.'  Got any ideas for me?
J: Yeah.  Take a picture of you making me a damn pie, woman!
Me: Ummmm no.
J: Why not!?  Your readers will think it's funny and I get a pie.  Everyone wins.

He obviously wasn't very helpful.  So I thought I'd hit up my mom.

Mom:  You could find a maid to take a photo of.
Me: Really mom?
Mom: (laughs).  What about Scout?  She's domesticated.
Me:  I took a picture of her foot for yesterday's picture.  I have to go to the grocery store.  I was thinking I could do something there.  Like a row of soup cans or something.
Mom:  Oh, that's a good idea.
Me: I'd have to take it on my phone, though.  I don't want to whip out my good camera in Target.
Mom: Why not?  Who cares what other people think.  Bring the good one!  Take a good photo!
Me:  Look who's talking!
Mom:  What's that supposed to mean?
Me: You wouldn't even take your phone out to take a picture you'd be so worried about what other people were thinking!
Mom: (laughing) You really shouldn't talk to your mother that way!

So today's assignment became less about the photo and more about not worrying about what others thought about me whipping out an SLR in Target.


7 comments:

  1. I'm not domestic either. I feel like I'm slightly learning and feel very proud of myself whenever I make anything at all...or even put the dishes away. Maybe I should shoot before and afters of the dishes in the sink right now. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I totally relate to this. I beat myself up over not being more domestic all the time. Too much take-out, not enough cleaning. I have fantasies about being a domestic goddess, but they remain fantasies. Love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a picture at the mall with my iPhone so mine wasn't really domestic. So jealous of your SLR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photo and love the discussion with your mom :) I totally would have whipped out an SLR in Target, but I have very, very little shame :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I should take a picture of the GIANT mound of laundry that has collected over the last couple weeks of me feeling crappy, and send it to you. I'm sure you'll feel much more domestic then, seriously no one's house should have so much dirty laundry laying around as ours does... HA! I love canned soup, easy dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Izzy - The kicker on that is that MY HUSBAND DOES THE LAUNDRY! Apparently, I suck at it so he took up the reins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol! What hilarious conversations!

    I'm also not very domestic. And I'm happy to know that I'm not alone! It seems like I'm surrounded by people who are OCD about cleaning, and there is just no way I can compete!

    ReplyDelete