Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

November 5, 2011

The White Girl's First Trip to the Asian Market

I once dated a guy with red hair and freckles.  He HATED going with me to the Italian Bakery/Meat Market (because we Italians like to combine the two on a regular basis).  He said people looked at him weird and he felt like an outsider.  I couldn't understand why ANYONE wouldn't want to stand in an Italian Bakery and just sniff it all in.  It smells so dang good!  Who cares who is looking at you funny!  But because of his constant comments about stepping into my personal heaven and feeling unwelcome, I've been nervous about going to the Asian Market with Mr. Right.  But this week, I broke through the barrier and went!  Go me!

We pulled up and he said, "Just be sure you say 'no' to the lady who asks to do your hair."  I said, "Are you being serious?" I really thought he meant it for... well... several hours.  Let's not lie about how incredibly gullible I really am!

It was a tiny little grocery store run by a tiny little Korean woman filled with crap tons of Korean food.  I could recognize what he was picking off the shelves because it has been in my house.  I could make brilliant comments like, "Oooh, get some of those thingies."  I was a little freaked by the self serve freezer. (Seriously - like the one in your kitchen right now.  Not a standard issue grocery freezer.  A household one.)  It was chock full of random meats piled up on each other.  Mr. Right says that the meat standards in Korea are higher than in the US, but I've never been so glad to be a chicken and fish only kinda girl!  Anywho, we checked out, I knew when he said thank you (one of the phrases in my vast Korean vocabulary of... about 5 phrases) and we left.  No one looked at me funny - or looked at me really at all for that matter.  Koreans are cool like that.

I seriously need to learn some more Korean before I end up with children who have a secret language where all I can understand is "thank you," "yes," "mom," "dad," and "dogs taste good."  Yeah.  Mr. Right thinks he's a regular riot act.

1 comment:

  1. I love love grocery stores like that! When I lived in Los Angeles I went to the kosher Israeli place all of the time so that I could try to use my hebrew. Everyone knew I was American right off the bat. LOL.

    ReplyDelete