Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

November 21, 2011

A Weekend with the Fam

I know, it's Monday and I'm not making it a "Music Monday," but I don't have rehearsal tonight and it's my blog.  So there!

We just put my mom on a plane to head home from our "Fake Thanksgiving" here at our house.  My brother and his girlfriend and making moony eyes at each other on the couch across from me.  They're cute.  I hope he keeps her.

This was the first time we had family time since our diagnosis and it was so great.  I didn't even expect it.  I was so nervous and had Mr. Right on the alert.  He was ready to defend me, to stick up for me, and the block any criticism that was thrown my way.  But there was none.  My mom and I talked about what we've been going through a little.  I think she was more interested in getting a good gauge on how I'm doing more than anything else.  My brother just asked a quick minor question (and seems to think that medications will for sure equal a baby, but what do you expect from a 27 year old dude) and that was it.  There was love and support and more laughter than I've had in a long time.  It felt so good to hear my mom comment on our "wonderful marriage."  My mom!  Being not critical!  It was really cathartic and I suddenly felt very jealous of people who have family nearby.  Just having them here has been great.  I hope it tides me over.

But there were three dogs here and Holy Moses does my house smell like dog.

And even if it's lame and not very feminist, I loved being all wifey and making a nice big Thanksgiving dinner with the trimmings.  Sometimes I feel like my wifeness is seriously compromised by infertility, and I really loved doing something stereotypically wifelike.

4 comments:

  1. I completely understand the feelings of wifely duties being pushed aside with the hopes of becoming pregnant and dealing with IF. So glad you had a wonderful dinner with your family!
    ICLW #105.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can still be feminist! (And it isn't lame!) I think providing food is very nurturing and loving, especially symbolic food like holiday feasts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really great that your family was so supportive!!

    ICLW #3

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! Family time is good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete