While I bought most Christmas gifts online, I wanted to hit Ta.rget up to see what toys look like right about now. See, my sister and I don't have a very good history, but she doesn't ship back gifts I send her kids anymore and this will be the first time in a long time that I am able to send them Christmas gifts. My niece is 3 and when I saw the Bar.bies I thought, "She's getting to that age. That could be a good one." My friends, I felt like I stepped back in time. My grandmother was rolling over in her grave just because I stepped into the aisle. I consider myself a pretty liberated woman. I have a doctorate for crap's sake. I don't consider myself crazy with the feminism. To me, it just means that I have as many choices with my life as a man does. So it made me completely nauseous to see the "I Can Be" line consisting of "Art Teacher," "Baby Caregiver," "Ballroom Dancer," and "Ballerina." Not that there's anything wrong with these professions, but like I told my husband "Where the hell is the Astrophysicist?"
According to Amazon, there are more options; however, they are given names like "Pony Doctor." The "Newborn Baby Doctor," which I guess is a neonatologist, was wearing a mini-skirt.
REALLY?
On the web, I saw Architect and Computer Engineer, but there were way more options like "Rock Star," "Skier," and "Movie Star."
When did we stop teaching little girls that there is more to life than pretties and care giving? Or did we never start in the first place? And I sure as hell give my niece enough credit to be able to learn to word "Veterinarian." Geez!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What about professional writer? Doctor? CEO of major finance company? Screw Barbie!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Happy ICLW!
LOL! Barbie is overrated anyway. :-)
ReplyDelete