Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

October 23, 2012

Selfishness

It's a topic that's been on my mind lately.  Does my fervent perusal of fertility treatment make me selfish?  It's an argument that the fertile crew tends to make.  They say that trying to use technology to have a baby when you've been diagnosed with infertility is selfish.  You'll find reference to this train of thought in the comments section of any public article on infertility. I'm sure you've all seen it.

But how is it really selfish?  Being selfish means that you are putting your wants and needs ahead of others.  How is my perusal of pregnancy hurting anyone else?  My husband isn't being drug behind me by his hair.  He wants this as badly as I do.  I'm not putting anyone ahead of me.  I work just as hard as I always have.  I don't ask for special favors.  I may have asked for more compassion from my friends than I typically do, but doesn't anyone who is going through a major life event?  True - by seeking treatment the grieving process has been extended and we've asked for support for quite some time.  If we had just accepted our fate and not moved forward with treatment, we wouldn't have had constant months of ups and downs.  I've only asked for support from friends, though.  Two of those friends high-tailed it out of dodge and left us in the dust, but others stuck around and continue to love us just as they always have. 

Is it because I have a hard time celebrating other people's pregnancies and births?  That's always going to be a struggle by virtue of the disease.  It isn't treatment that makes me feel grief over my lack of children, it's infertility.

Is it the overpopulation argument?  Because that's a bunch of crap.  We'll just leave that there.

Is it because people think that by not fulfilling the moral obligation to adopt that infertility has apparently inflicted on me that I'm sending a child off to face a lifetime of foster care and group homes?  If this were even an argument worth entertaining, the question remains, isn't it selfish of anyone to have a biological child rather than adopt?  And by that same vein, what does it mean when my husband and I are planning to remain childless if we aren't able to have a biological child?  Are we doubly selfish?

Or maybe it's because of the popular adage, "children are a gift."  You can't try to force a gift upon yourself, right?  By the same token, people say that life is a gift, but you don't see anyone saying, "You know what?  I'm not going to try to keep that leg.  Let the gangrene take me.  It's selfish of me to try to force the gift of life upon myself." I can see that life isn't tangible though, while a child is in essence. 

Is it the money?  Do people see those of us pursuing treatment as being flush with cash that they think could be better used elsewhere?  After all, the high cost of IVF is widely discussed.  Some of us are lucky enough to have insurance coverage, but most aren't.  Instead we make many sacrifices to be able to afford treatment.  The biological predilection is that strong.  The general public doesn't see that or get that, but money can't be the whole basis for the accusations of selfishness, can it?

So where does this selfishness notion come from?  More importantly, how can I be sure that I'm not acting from a self-centered urge.

22 comments:

  1. 1. No. You are not. Just thought you might need to hear that.

    2. I think it comes from the press coverage. When infertility is in the news, it's always (always) the same. Forty-something lawyer/executive/publisher in New York/San Francisco/L.A. decides at the age of 42 that she wants to have a baby. She spends 6 figures and gives an unflattering interview. That her heart is broken just like ours, and that most of us aren't glamorous, doesn't even register.

    3. The next time someone asks you why you don't adopt, ask them "why don't you?"

    4. No. You are not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The defining feature of selfishness includes actions that benefit the self without regard to the welfare of others.

    Infertility is a life event that most people will never fully understand. People get weird when they don't understand things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like!!!! Except the overpopulation thing, but we are clearly not the problem in that equation. Besides the people accusing us of selfishness are probably the most selfish of all. Hypocrites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are definitely not being selfish! Unfortunately, there are so many who do not understand and make hurtful judgments. It is ignorance in my mind - and unfortunately as well many do not want to understand. Everyone is taught in middle or high school that it is so easy to get pregnant and forget about those where that is not the case!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Selfishness is defined as the Melbourne drug addict who gave birth to a methodone addicted baby last week, who at 5 days old was shaking and screaming for its next hit... what you are striving for is the ultimate in non-selfishness... striving to bring a child into a loving home where it will be cherished and adored.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with BW. It is not selfish and, if anything, i feel that b/c we went through this IF journey we will be the most unselfish and loving with our kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are NOT selfish. Many fertiles are just morons.

    Dealing with infertility and how far to go and what to do when you've hit your limit is so personal. I have no idea how people justify making wrong and such broad-based sweeping judgments like treating infertility is selfish.

    I think those arguments gain traction with us infertiles, though, because we are much harder on ourselves than the outside world. We feel we don't deserve our happy ending, or that the path we have to walk down to get to that point is somehow paved with selfishness or wrong motivations or bad intentions. I don't know how we get that way, but I would guess it happens to each of us at some point. Like infertility somehow makes us less deserving of child in some way.

    I know that doubting myself and my worthiness to be a mother was one of the biggest battles I had to fight and overcome, even though I had all of the outside support I could hope for from family and friends. I still don't know where that came from, and those doubts still rear their ugly heads now and again.

    There is nothing selfish about wanting a child, wanting to be a mother, wanting your husband to be a father, wanting what happens so easily and naturally for a majority of the world's population. It's a natural desire. And I hope your miracle baby comes to you very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh. Why don't the lucky understand? It's not looked down upon to treat cancer...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Selfish is the people who can bear children with no heartache or effort {or interest} and neglect them.

    We aren't selfish. We're just prepared to fight. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love love what Mrs. Green grass said. Infertility is a disease....treating a disease is not selfish. Annnd Aly got it right...we are fighting not being selfish. Hugs to you!! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never agreed with, or even understood, the argument that wanting to give life or to raise a child is selfish. I'd say it is one of the most selfLESS acts, to the extent it's a "choice," but really, it's more of a biological urge than anything. And I agree with what the others have said about who really should be considered selfish in a parenting situation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After reading your post last night, I had to wait until this morning to comment. I was so beyond furious about the things people say. Especially when they are not in a certain situation, and have NO idea what it feels like to be there. Just remember that we are our own best advocate. When things like this are said to us, we need to point out facts to them. Like infertility is a disease. If you have heart disease, are you selfish for wanting surgery to cure it? Or like another one of your readers suggested, ask them to adopt. If you are selfish for wanting to have a family and using treatments, are they selfish for having children easily and not wanting to "save" a child through foster service etc.? I personally have no tolerance for this type of person any longer. I have offended many people in my life that make stupid, ignorant comments to me about my reproductive rights!

    Sorry this type of stuff really gets under my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No, you are not selfish (x4!). You are an extremely dedicated and loving couple and your future children are lucky to have you. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stopping by from ICLW. I think that for anyone to make an assumption that someone who is going infertility treatments is selfish is just plain ignorant. If they haven't had to deal with the possibility of never having a biological child then they really have no leg to stand on. If they were in your situation, who knows how they would feel (I would guess that they would be doing the same thing that you are). It is always easy to point the finger at someone else and say that you would never do that if you have never been faced with a similar situation. Please don't ever feel bad about your decision to pursue treatment and don't feel like you have to justify anything to anyone. Those that truly love you will stick by you, the others can beat it. It sounds to me like you are going to be wonderful parents someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sticking with my guns on this one, the majority of the uninformed are just showing their intelligence or should I say lack of it with the foot to mouth maneuver.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think there is anything selfish about wanting and pursuing a biological tie to your baby. Reproducing is not a selfish urge. It is a biological drive. {{{Hugs}}}


    ICLW #74 Dragondreamer's Lair

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not selfish at all. Infertility is a disease and you are simply treating it the best you can. It's so easy to sit and judge when you are NOT in the same situation. And it's not every infertile responsibility to adopt and save all children! That just makes me angry. It's a choice you make like everything else in life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. IMO, the selfishness comes from a lack of knowledge and from those people who have never faced this disease. Because that's just what it is - a disease. Is it selfish to treat cancer? No. No one in their right mind would say that treating a cancer diagnosis is selfish, so no one should say treating IF is selfish either.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it is ridiculous that people say we are selfish for pursuing treatments. I think a lot of it is this theory that people have that if you can't have a biological child, you should adopt. Because there are soooo many children in this world that need homes (which is why the waiting lists at agencies are so long of course) and it's so selfish of you to try to have a child when you can just adopt one (it's so easy!). But that's a ridiculous argument because anyone can adopt. You don't have to be infertile to do it and if you're so concerned about those kids, feel free to not have your own biological children just because you're fertile. Sorry, got a little bitter there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pursuing treatments with IF is NOT selfish. You have the right to do what you want. It is your choice, your life.

    An ICLW Visit from #2
    liddy @ the unfair struggle (mfi, speedskating, life)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've heard "you should just adopt there are so many children that need a good home" thing twice in the past week from a childhood friend and her mother. Everyone thinks you can just decide to adopt and a baby shows up the next day. My friend's mother actually referenced the Sex and the City Episode when Charlotte received a picture of her daughter in the mail. Because her husband sent in the application without her knowing, just in case. Yeah, that's realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. OOOOH This one bugs the crap out of me...the fertile comment, " you're being selfish." OK so what does that mean Mrs Duggar is? Is it selfish of her to want 19 children, or 20 for that matter? Is it selfish for the Jones's down the street to want a child so they have sex and get pregnant? So I'm selfish because I put my body through hell, humiliate my husband into masturbating in a public setting, have my child conceived in a room with 7 people, none of which are my husband or myself, and then when the product of that conception is positioned in my uterus, I'm in a room with a man other than my husband between my legs along with 6 other people, and don't get to have sex to have a kid? OK go eff yourself stupid uninformed fertile world....why don't you just adopt?

    I LOVE this post....and yeah...I'm a bit emotional over this...I don't even like it when I'm told I'm selfish for wanting a second child....really? Do I need to revisit the Duggar thing on this one? Thanks for posting this!

    OH and for the RECORD, you are not selfish. ABSOLUTELY NOT selfish for wanting your own biological child, and going through hell to get the child!

    ReplyDelete