Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

October 17, 2012

A Tale of Two Emails

On the day of our Beta, I got some interesting emails.  The first was from my mother.  It said the following:

"I know you are at work and you are trying to hold on.  I am so sorry. 

Have you and [J] considered a surrogate?  I know I’m an old woman, but older women than me have done this for their daughters.   I’ll be your oven if you want me to be.  I’ll even give up Diet Coke!"

I seriously have the best mother ever.  When I called her to tell her that I didn't feel comfortable having my 58 year old mother (who will easily be at least 59 by the time any baby is born) risk her health by carrying our child, she was crushed.  "But I've done it three times!"  she cried.  I explained that we don't even know if surrogacy would be an answer and reminded her that a) her son is planning a wedding and b) she has osteoporosis and c) she lives over 800 miles away.  She sobbed on the phone with me.  She feels so much pain.  My sister keeps her children away from my mother.  She has three grandchildren that she has met one time each.  She isn't allowed to talk to them, see them, or send them gifts.  When I think about the fact that I may not be able to give that hole a little patch for her, it makes my bones ache.  The kicker is that she doesn't even think about that.  Her pain is only a reflection of our pain.

Then I got another message.  This was from a friend who didn't know about our negative yet.  It was from someone who has been a darned good friend, actually, and she was emailing to check in on us.  Here is a highlight:

"Just throwing this out there, but have you thought about maybe ... just enjoy each other for a while.  You never know what can happen when you just relax and maybe let it happen?"   

Thankfully she ended it with:

"...you can tell me to jump off a bridge if you want!!"  

!*@#&

I called my mother back pissed as hell.  I totally knew my mom was going to say "She's coming from a good place and she means well."  I know that's the truth, but STILL!  Instead my mom was totally with me in the ridiculousness   It was J who called me down to earth.

"She's been a really good friend to you," he reminded me.  He's right.  I'm sure this is information coming from her mother.  I could almost hear her voice when I was reading it, actually.  This sort of "relax" information is what's out there in the world.  It's what our parents believed and what their parents believed and the media likes to perpetuate it.  She really is trying to be helpful, no matter how misguided it is.  And J pointed out that I have had some supposedly good friends who have completely disappeared.  He asked me which I would rather... the friends who check in and support us, but make occasionally stupid comments, or the friends who have left us in the dust?

I'd really rather they were all like my mom, offering up their wombs in recognition of our pain.  That's a tad bit unrealistic though, so I guess I'll take the misguided but well meaning comments.  I'll write her back and gently remind her that infertility is a disease and that relaxing doesn't cure endometriosis any more than it cures diabetes... and so it goes...

12 comments:

  1. I wish that "relaxing" could help cure all medical conditions. We would all have a lot more money in our pockets and everyone would be happy :)

    sounds like you have a truly amazing mother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some day, my relaxed hand is going to strike someones face. I dont know who, but I guarantee it will happen. I know people mean well, they are just ignorant to the situation.

    My friend told me that I should be glad it didnt work out, that everything happens for a reason, and if it had worked out, it would have had genetic issues. She then offered her uterus as a surrogate so I guess it all evens out. ;) I think once you cross over to the ugly side of this, all you can do is laugh even when you really want to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! The first half of your post brought tears to my eyes! How sweet of your mother to recognize your pain and really, truly want to help. I don't have my mom with me anymore so this was especially touching for me to read. (ugh, crying again)

    The second half, well, I'm glad you are going to gently remind your friend that relaxing does not cure diseases. I may use that one myself the next time it comes up in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually just read an article in a magazine (can't remember which one! Maybe Parenting magazine) about a woman whose mother was her surrogate. She was also around 60. Pretty intense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHY do people such craziness? I mean if you don't know what to say, then say "I don't know what to say, but I'm so sorry" That is PLENTY with out adding such trite comments. Remind her that no amount of relaxing improves diabetes, high blood pressure or any other medical condition.

    your mother though, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been offline for a while and just catching up. I was devastated to read your Beta post - I'm so so sorry about your news. My thoughts are with you and I'm sending big hugs from Aus. I know that I might be speaking out of turn, but our last remaining frozen emby was our little winner, so there is still hope, I promise. However, it may well be worth taking a break over Christmas and looking into some implanatation tests. I wrote a post about this earlier in the year, if you wanted to have a look at the tests I had done - I listed them in the post - all to test for possible reasons of implanataion failure, as I too had very good embies and everything else was just fine. Anyway - you will need to decide what is best for you, but sometimes a break from things can be the best thing ever. I am thinking of you so much. B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mom is awesome! And I do think you should educate your friend. Sometimes they just don't know any better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh your mother is precious. I can't imagine my mother offering such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I've been a little behind lately and am just getting caught up on your recent posts. First, I am so very sorry to hear about your beta. I know you guys had high hopes for this one. Second, I'm glad your RE is showing such compassion and honesty. It definitely sounds like you made the right choice in switching offices. Third, that's really awesome of your mom and kind of crappy of your friend. Sounds like by her closing line maybe she knew that was a stupid thing to say, so you wonder why she even bothered? Anyway, will be praying that you guys find some answers and some peace about your next steps, whatever those may be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your mom!

    I had a friend who, even before we started fertility treatments, offered to be a surrogate for us. As far as we know--and knew then--our issue is male factor, so her offering to be a surrogate pissed me off. But people who don't understand just don't understand, and I think what they think is helpful comes off as really condescending to us because we know better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is amazing of your Mother to offer that! She sounds like a wonderful support.

    ReplyDelete