![]() |
| Dancer Me |
![]() |
| Super Sized Me |
I fought my weight in college, but then grad school hit and all bets were off! I was in a challenging academic program, working two jobs, living with a douche-canoe of a boyfriend, and watching my family crumble around me with my father's craziness coming to light. Food became my comfort and I got fat. Really fat. I was well into the obese category before I could even blink. I was having so many aches and pains and trying to chase a diagnosis for my weight gain and ailments. A visit to a rheumatologist actually set me on the right track. He asked me to bend over and touch my toes and I couldn't. When I burst into tears, he point blank asked me the real reason I was fat. After I spewed out all of my life struggles, he told me that needed to lose weight and that I would feel better. This kind man, who was no skinny-mini himself, talked to me about finding alternatives to food when I needed comfort.
When the douche-canoe moved out, I moved back home with my mom while I finished grad school. In no time at all, I had dropped a good chunk of the weight before moving up north for a few years. I finally got myself out of the obese category and have managed to stay out of it for 10 years now. Giving up red meat has helped a lot, because it keeps me out of the drive-through. If you aren't going to get a burger, it's a pretty crappy place to be.
![]() |
| Bride Me |
There are about 20 pounds that I fight, and right now, every single one of them is on me. I'm comfortable 10 pounds lighter than where I am, and thrilled when I'm 20 pounds lighter than where I am. If I gain 12 pounds, my BMI would register as obese. If I lose 10, I can be considered "normal" again.
You name the diet, I've done it. But the most effective plan for me has been the one recommended by a nutritionist I saw a few years ago. The problem is that it sucks... a lot. At my height and with my history of bouncing around, I should only eat 1000 calories a day. Do you know how hard it is to eat that little calories and still get the nutrients you need? Do you know how boring it is? Do you know how terrifying it is to eat so few calories when you're trying to make a dang baby? So I've let myself slide a bit, and I'm not happy about it.
![]() |
| Current Me |
So here I am, getting ready for another IVF cycle at a weight I'm really not happy with. I got 5 of the IVF pounds off, only to magically gain 4 of them back with my lap. You'd think a few days with very little food after having someone dig around in your gut would help with weight loss, but not for me! My body hates me.
Can I make it though a cycle with little to no gain? Anyone else out there struggling with weight and want to help keep each other accountable? Who's in this with me?





I love your wedding dress, it is very beautiful. I am getting ready for my second ivf and as of right now I haven't gained any weight. Of course I know as soon as I start my meds that will be nearly impossible. I am hoping to keep it to minimum for sure though. Good luck on your upcoming cycle!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I think it's the PIO that does me in. It makes me want to eat and eat. If you find any secrets to keeping it off, let me know!
DeleteYour wedding dress is beautimous! I am fat, fat, fat from all the fertility drugs/surgeries/My-body-doesn't-work-so-who-cares-if-I-workout complexes. All this after losing 50 pounds after I was married. Le sigh.
ReplyDeleteI loved that stinkin dress! Sometimes I open up it's little dress coffin to say hello. I feel ya. It's almost easier to ignore the fatness when you're in a "no one can hate my body more than I already do" place. Groan
Delete"Douche-Canoe" Love it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing all of yourself with us. I think supersize you is still pretty darn cute, and bride you is stunning, and you look great now too, but I hope you get to where you want to be pre IVF to feel ready to take on the shots. It's hard on your body for sure. Hang in there, and best of luck!
Thanks, Lanie.
DeleteI stumbled on someone else saying "douche-canoe" and I'm stuck on it now.
Ugh. I'm in a similar boat - only 30+lbs where I should be. :(
ReplyDeleteLet's hope IVF #2 doesn't blow the whole thing out of the water.
Dude - I'm determined. Email me and we can talk about chocolate ice cream rather than eating it.
DeleteI am, I am! I am also 20 lbs over where I'd like to be (yikes! So scary to say that!). I'm 20 lbs over where I was on my wedding day, and like you, I could be okay with being 10 lbs lighter but would be overjoyed to lose all 20. Last fall I got really serious about working out and managed to lose those 10 lbs. But then we started seeing an RE and had one IUI, followed by a chemical, followed by a cancelled IUI, all leading to where I am now - 1 day away from starting Lupron for IVF. And all those 10 lbs came right back. Right now, I'm focusing on being kind to myself and trying not to beat myself up about the weight. I know why I gained it and I know I can lose it, it's just very difficult to do so around IF. So I'm working out when I can fit it in but I'm not going crazy. I'd love to not gain anything during this IVF cycle but I'm not sure if that's possible! I doubt I will want to move at ALL after the transfer! Maybe even during stimming too, depending how that goes.
ReplyDeleteIt's so hard to excercise when you're stimming and the docs limit what you can do! My hubby keeps reminding me to be kind to my body right now. Sigh. It's kind of true, isn't it?
DeleteBody image can be such a mindf*ck. It's amazing how we let our relationship with food and what we see in the mirror dictate our moods and feelings of self-worth. The important thing is that you get yourself ready for the next round of IVF, physically, mentally, and emotionally. I know you can do that without starving yourself. (1000 calories a day? Yikes!)
ReplyDeleteWe all need to be nicer to ourselves, don't we? "I adore being a girl." ugh.
DeleteBeing kind to yourself is so easy when yourself works properly! I struggle with this daily. I am also 12 lbs up from my IVF/miscarriage and just wrote about it yesterday. Seems I have fallen into a vicious pattern of "Sad = Hungry = Need Carbs/Chocolate Now." It's not good!
ReplyDeleteI have a few lovely months of recovery time before we go for FET #2. I'm determined to drop enough of the weigh to fit back into my pants and get a BRB - baby ready body. I would love to join you in trying to take back our pants while learning to appreciate ourselves as we are.
It's so hard, Belle! I'm almost out of pants!
DeleteI have struggled with my weight all my life. I would have to lose 25lbs to get out of the obese category. If I do I will be back at my high school weight and that would be awesome! I felt so good at that weight even though I was considered overweight. Ever since I was put on the metformin it has been a little easier to lose. I have lost about 20lbs over the last 9 months. Sheesh! I just looked up how much I would have to lose to get to normal range, 50lbs! One step at a time. Right now I am focusing on losing the 6bls I gained over the last 2 medicated cycles. Once I get back to there I am pretty comfortable and the rest will be bonus. If you want to join my fitness pal look me up. My name on there is 2keep.
ReplyDeleteI will! Mine has Lisa in it - so if you get a request, it's from me! I'm also going to do Jenn's weight loss challenge. You should join in! http://futurefords.wordpress.com/2012/06/21/the-weight-loss-challenge-is-on/
DeleteI joined in! Just what I need, a big kick in the butt!
Deleteomg! somehow i missed this post, but i totally understand how having a spouse who has to fight the fat can be sort of not helpful. mine is the same way. we are slightly overweight and have to fight to not get any larger. getting smaller is even harder for us. we both put on about 20lbs in the 4 years since we met and it's a constant struggle because neither of us have are good about diet or getting our workouts on. until recently. this is the heaviest we have been during the summer. but i think the weight loss challenge will really help!! i'm excited to watch your progress! :)
ReplyDeleteI would be happy to get back to my wedding weight/size, or just a bit under - I miss my size 18 pants.
ReplyDeleteThank goodness I can now walk again on my no longer broken ankle.