Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

June 2, 2012

The Lap Story

The day before surgery, I got a call from the anesthesiologist.  Apparently they just do a phone screen for the young and healthy.  He was really nice and answered all of my questions.  He said that my blood work was all negative, and "unfortunately so was the pregnancy test."  I kind of chuckled and said that the last test was only a week-and-a-half ago, so I couldn't say I was surprised.  He said, "Well, it always hurts to hear it.  I don't tell many people this, but my wife and I were there at the same clinic and we now have two children.  So you're in good hands."  I thought that was so nice of him.

Surgery was scheduled for 8:45 and we were required to be there at 7:15.  We checked in and they took me back to the prep area.  After I changed into my beautiful gown, they took my vitals, got my IV started, and brought J back to sit with me.  My RE came back and gave us his post op instructions and what he expected would happen in surgery.  Then they gave me some Versed and back we went.  I was a little loopy, but managed to get myself situated on the table, which seemed to have some sort of butt cut out on it?  I don't know.  I just know I was trying to put my but near, but not in a hole.  They put my arms by my sides in some styrofoamy things, and that's all I remember.

Next thing I remember was hearing a nurse call out to the nurse's station "where's Mylastname?"  and I chirped, "right here."  Then my husband's shiny face was there in my recovery hole.  He told me what the RE told him.  That there was a lot of endo.  It was on my ovaries, bladder, rectum, and pelvic wall.  They lasered some and excised others.  He staged it at 2 since most of it was superficial, but that there was a lot and it would account for my pain.  The hysteroscopy looked good.  They took a biopsy, but there were no polyps, adhesions, or fibroids.  Surgery took about 2 and-a-half hours.

I wasn't in much pain in the recovery room, but I was a bit nauseous.  She gave me something and POOF it was gone.  I was so tired, but apparently they really want you out of there.  What was weird on the way out what that the nurse was wheeling me to the car in a wheel chair and chatting and someone came hurrying up behind her, put her hand on my shoulder and said, "Bye Dr. Mylastname!  Take care!"  I just said "thanks," but couldn't see who it was.  The nurse pushing me said,  "You're a doctor?"  I skipped my whole, "I'm not a physician.  It's a clinical degree.  Kind of like an optometrist." spiel and just said "yeah."  She said, "I should have known from your shoes."  I had my clogs on.  But I don't know who came up behind me and it kind of freaked me out.  I know there was nothing "doctoresque" on my intake paperwork.  I was in a hospital that we kind of "compete" with and I didn't want to fall on anyone's radar.

I slept most of yesterday.  The first pee hurt like nobody's business.  I've been in quite a bit of pain, especially my throat.  I wasn't allowed to eat solid food yesterday and I still haven't pooped.  That freaks me out.  Once I'm in a position, I feel fine, but sitting up, lying down, basically moving into a position hurts.  I have not had any of that shoulder pain, thankfully.  Really really thankful for that.  My husband has been a saint.  I feel like such a schmo asking him to do so much for me.  I had to wake him repeatedly so that I could get help getting up to pee.  Whenever I stand I feel like my innards are just hanging there.  Like there's nothing to support them.  It's weird.  And they are super pissed that there were lasers thrown at them.

I'm glad we have a diagnosis, I'm glad I'm not a hypochondriac, and I'm glad it was mostly superficial.  I hate that there is anything wrong with me, but I'm glad to finally have some sort of confirmation.  Post op is in two weeks and we'll see where to go next.

I hope that colase kicks in soon!  There really is no such thing as TMI in an IF blog, is there?

20 comments:

  1. I'm glad that your surgery went well. It took me a few days to be able to move around by myself!

    It took me a few days to have to poop. I was terrified! I took stool softeners and watched everything that I ate. Once I did "go," it wasn't too bad.

    Enjoy your weekend! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you heal quickly. Don't feel bad about asking J to help you. I'm sure he doesn't mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiber one brownies....

    Also my DH got me a shirt that says "Not that kind of doctor" Then you don't need to explain :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were awesomely helpful. Thank you! And I need the shirt. I don't want anyone depending on me if there's a "Is there a doctor in the house" moment.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad everything went well and wishing you a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're ok and recovering well. Let's hope removing the endo will help you guys. What's the next step - do you have to wait a certain time before deciding when to try again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea! Post op is the 15th and I guess we'll figure it out then. Funny thing is that this is the first time since we started this that I actually feel like being patient with my body.

      Delete
  6. Eeeek I can't imagine what it feels like to have your innards barely hanging in. Stuff them in! Stuff them in!

    I hope you poop soon, and that your pain decreases exponentially.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It freaks me out that we can have all this "stuff" going on inside our bodies and not really know about it until you have something like this done!! Sounds like a pertty awful experience what you're going through, but hopefully all those obstacles are out of the way and you can get back to baby making business...hope you feel better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that they don't know what causes it so they don't really know how to treat it effectively... It's a bunch of BS, isn't it?

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry that they found endo but I'm so glad you have some answers. I'll be praying your recovery is quick!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm going to contact that research group on your page. It totally freaks me out that it takes so long to get diagnosed and that there is so little good research going on with this. We should not need surgery to be diagnosed for crap's sake.

      Delete
  9. So glad you're on the mend!
    Don't be surprised if the gas pain kicks in in a day or two. Just keep on taking it easy!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude - you're totally right. Hit me on day two.

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad surgery went well and you got answers! Take it easy and get well. xoxo

    ReplyDelete