Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

June 21, 2012

Hooray Hooray For Q&A


We had a really good visit with the RE today.  I actually feel like he answered all of our (current) questions... because I actually bucked up and asked them!  Go figure.
He told us that the endo was the worst on my bladder, surprisingly.  That was that only thing I didn't have symptoms for!  Now that it's removed, I'm hoping that I can have some time sans constant peeing... at least until I get pregnant, right?  One can only hope!  Anyways, he thinks the pain I'm still experiencing will go away with my next period and he's "anxious to see how it goes."  Well isn't that just nifty.  I guess we're all awaiting AF with baited breath.  He guessed that we have a window of about a year before it starts to come back, and that fertility treatment might speed that up a bit.
Gratuitous puppy pile just so I can say, "Look!  A plethora!"
Image Credit
As usual, he gave us the treatment option smorgasbord.  I realize I need to give him a pseudonym.  I think I shall call him, Dr. Plethora because of all of the options he is constantly throwing at us.  There - he's named. We talked about doing a few months with Depot Lupron.  He told us there was some evidence that it could help with an IVF cycle and we could do it if we wanted.  I cornered him on this one.  I was concerned about the symptoms and he said that we could do add-back to avoid some of that.  So I asked if he thought it would really help in our situation.  He FINALLY gave us his actual opinion.  In our situation, it isn't worth the time.  That if I had stage 4 endo he would push for it, but with stage 2, he thinks the help would be marginal.  So we're skipping it and I might revisit it as a pain treatment when we're done with the baby making.  We'll see.

I also asked him about all the endometriosis diet stuff I see, because no fatty wants to limit her eating that much unless the doctor tells her to.  He said that there are things all over our environment that our bodies treat as estrogen (soaps, shampoos, plastics, stuff in the water, all kinds o'crap) and that just limiting certain foods would have such a very minor impact, that it isn't worth it.  There's no way you could avoid things in the world enough to change the estrogenic response in the body.  I was happy to hear that.  What the hell would I eat?  And no wine for the rest of my life?  Shoot me now!
He was very kind and sympathetic and really wanted to make sure we were doing okay emotionally.  He said, "This is not fun stuff to go through by any means and you guys have been through a lot."  It was nice, but I couldn't stop thinking that there are a lot worse things we could have faced at this point.  While never being remotely pregnant makes me sad, I do realize how grateful I am that I haven't suffered a loss.  I see how strong the women in our community are when they experiences losses and I just don't think I could be as strong.  They are the true warriors if you ask me.  Anyway, we're feeling really hopeful right now.  It's good.

As soon as AF rears her head, I'll start BCPs again for IVF #2 - this time WITH ICSI.  We will do another antagonist cycle since I made plenty of mature eggs on it.  He's hopeful that the ICSI will give us more embryos and that cleaning out the endo will give us better quality embryos.  Sounds like a plan to me! And if you're here from ICLW... What up?

12 comments:

  1. Wow, so much to look forward to - no crazy diets....IVF #2... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had such a good appointment. It's wonderful when you get doctor's REAL opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for pressing your doctor to get real answers. And pretty good ones, at that! Bring on IVF #2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited for you! Seems like you're in a great position to try again! Also, sounds like you have a great doc!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay for you! glad the endo on your bladder is gone and thanks for sharing about the waste of energy cutting back on estrogen would be. i haven't had problems with my endo in years until recently (i think i have clomid to thank for that) and was considering doing just that. good luck with the next cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really happy to be starting IVF #2 with you. Even if you'll overtake me, since I'm stuck on a crappy long reg AGAIN. *yawn*

    YAY ENDO BE-GONE. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad everything went well and that you're moving into IVF #2! Dr. Plethora sounds great and it sounds like you're moving forward with the best possible chances for success - that's worth celebrating! Even with some wine... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you got some answers, I am glad you pressed for them because chickens like me won't always do that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a very informative appointment. Cant wait to see how things go through ivf #2~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello from ICLW! It sounds like it promises to be an exciting cycle! Wishing you the very best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI!!! Finally got my a$$ over here! Thank you for following me. I am looking forward to following your journey. I am going back and reading all about your journey so far. Sounds like your RE did a good job on your Lap and hopefully you don't have any more problems for a while. I am so excited for your next IVF. We have one more shot at IUI and them we move onto IVF with ICSI. Can't wait to read all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I'm here from ICLW. I think it's smart to go ahead with an IVF, even though you just had the lap and have a better chance at natural conception. I had a lap last year and tried 5 cycles naturally to no avail, and wish I'd started treatments immediately. About the peeing pain thing--removing endo on your bladder would explain it. I'm currently having peeing issues w/ no UTI, just because the muscles around there are screwed up from surgeries.

    Oh, and my endo surgeon told me not to worry about the endo diet, too. Hooray! He had never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete