Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

June 10, 2012

Tie A Yellow Ribbon...

A mom conversation:

Me: I've been reading up on Endometriosis and it's really frustrating.
Mom: Why's that?
Me:  Well, nobody knows anything!  They don't really know what causes it so the evidence behind the treatments is kind of random.
Mom:  Yeah, I read that Lupron thing is really for prostate cancer.  You guys need your own drugs.  There just isn't enough money to go around for all the causes anymore.  Especially resarch.  You know this.
Me:  Yeah, but it's still frustrating.  I feel like I need to get involved somehow and I don't know how.
Mom:  You need a thing.
Me:  A thing?
Mom:  Yeah.  To raise awareness.  Like the breast cancer people.  But no one wants to talk about menstruation.
Me:  There are groups, mom.  There's even a ribbon.
Mom:  A ribbon?
Me:  Yeah.  It's yellow.
Mom:  Isn't something else a yellow ribbon?
Me:  Yup.  Missing people, soldiers who have been deployed...
Mom:  Oh yeah.  "Tie a yellow ribbon" and all that.  That's dumb.  You need a different color.  It shouldn't even be a ribbon.
Me: Why not?  Missing people and autism have ribbons.
Mom:  Yeah, but you guys should be more like the red dress people.  You know how women's heart disease has the red dress campaign?
Me:  So we should have a yellow dress?
Mom:  Or a yellow tampon.
Me:  MOM!
Mom: You could even tie the string into a bow.

Gotta love the momma person.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I was with your mom right up until the tampon thing. She's right, though. No one wants to talk about periods or ovaries or uteri or miscarriages. Sucks for us.

    I can see where you get your sense of humor, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yellow tampon for endometriosis awareness... well, okay, sure, why not! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Love this! We could even tie the string in a bow!

    ReplyDelete