Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

January 6, 2012

Pasta Patheticness

The other day, Mel The Goddess (yes, I believe that is her full name) posted about Befana Day.  After checking out the recipe for Caramelle Pasta and getting a "yes, please make that" from Mr. Right, we dove in.  As an Italian Catholic, I figured I needed to be doing this.  Plus, it was an excuse to use my pasta machine again.  Who am I kidding, I really just wanted to use the pasta machine.

Can we just say... Epic Domestic Fail

Husband and I teamed up for the challenge.  I put the dough through the pasta machine (I was using the lasagna setting so I could have squares straight off) and and the noodle off at an appropriate length.  Then Husband put the filling in the middle and rolled it up.  He read Mel's post, so I didn't think I really had to explain what they were supposed to look like.  Apparently I did.
Me (Above the din of the pasta maker): Honey what are you doing?
Him:  I don't know.  Rolling them up?  What am I supposed to be doing?
Me: Oh crap (catching pasta that's creeping out of the machine and onto the floor).  You're supposed to roll them up so it looks like candy.
Him: What?  How do I do that?  What does that look like?
Me: Well not that.  That looks like a vagina.

First of all, the lasagna setting was not a smart choice.  The squares were too thick and narrow.  We had to stick two together to get them wide enough, and since it was so thick the smooshed up ends were all dense and chewy.  We were not very good at getting the right shape as evidenced below.  Most look like slugs.


Now, those of you who make fresh pasta are probably looking at this and saying, "What the hell, Lisa!  You can't pile them up like that!"  Yeah... totally forgot that part and totally know better.  We were just so caught up in our assembly line that I didn't even think about the growing pile of pasta mush.  Good thing is that we were laughing and having a great time making our slug/vagina pastas and then peeling them apart to drop them in the water.  Thankfully, they tasted good (with the exception of the chewy ends that were totally my fault).  We put them in a red sauce because that's how we roll.

This is not my final foray into filled pasta.  I WILL succeed!  My maiden name is so dago pasta should just shoot out of my fingers like a paisan superhero.

PS You can only use "the D word" if you are one, just so we're clear.

2 comments:

  1. Bahahahahahahaha! You are hilarious! Next figure out how to make penis pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good story! I wanted to try this recipe, only a) I don't have a pasta machine and b) I'm gluten free right now. So it's fun to get to try it vicariously thought your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete