Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

January 20, 2012

Nothing Important, Really

I've been sitting here staring at the screen, not knowing what to write.  This week has just seemed so hard.  I guess I had gotten my hopes up too much on the IUI.  The BFN was much harder than I had anticipated.  Having the period from hell hasn't helped my mood.

I've spent the tail end of this week dealing with my effing insurance company.  In the words of Nurse J "I hate insurance.  Just my personal opinion.  I know, it's a blessing when you have some coverage, but they are messing with your life!  How can they do that?"  My thoughts exactly Nurse J.  Anyway, my drugs have not been approved or denied... the approval is just sitting there in the hands of some random insurance company nurse.  Here's what's going down.  My RE's office calls insurance company to get approval for this cycle.  Nurse orders drugs through insurance company (yeah - not allowed to order from where I would like to order anymore).  Insurance company specialty pharmacy sends request to pre-cert department, pre-cert department notes that I already have approval and sends request to the infertility nurses who have final approval.  So even though I already have approval, a nurse employed by the insurance company gets to decide if what my PHYSICIAN has prescribed is really medically necessary.  But we don't need insurance reform in this country.

We pay so much for this insurance that at this point, it's the principle of the thing.  Between the out of pocket costs on the meds and the premium we pay we aren't coming out ahead, so it's not like I'm whining when I should just suck it up and be glad we have coverage.  I just want them to do what's right!  They keep telling me "It takes 24-48 hours to process an order."  WHY!?!?!?  This is a specialty pharmacy.  People need these meds NOW!  And, I start meds on CD3.  I don't know that I need them until CD1.  So how on God's earth am I supposed to be able to get meds in 48 hours if it takes that long to process the damned order?!?  No one seems to be able to answer that question.  The good news is that my RE's office had enough samples on hand to lend me enough to get me through the weekend.  If my order is approved, I'll reimburse them through that.  If it isn't, I'll pay out of pocket.  This is just so FRUSTRATING!!!!!

I have two concerts to sing this weekend and they involve a solo.  Here's to hoping I don't muck it all up since my head is in la la land right now.

5 comments:

  1. So sorry you're dealing with insurance hell, as though on top of IF you need something else to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My second IUI failed this week too. I'm sorry you're going through so much...but many of us are right there with you! On to #3 this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People who don't go through this are incapable of understanding the urgency and time sensitivity of our meds cycles. I always feel like they're intentionally rubbing salt in my wound, even though I'm sure they're just effing clueless. I hope they figure it out ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Seriously, this is exactly how I feel about our fertility med pharmacy!!!! I'm like, THESE ARE CAREFULLY TIMED CYCLES WITH MEDICATION WE DON'T KNOW WE NEED UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE, AND YOU ARE A FERTILITY PHARMACY.

    I have had to ask the doctors to stretch the rules and give me prescriptions before I need it so I can get the orders processed in advance. It's easier to cancel and order than to try to speed one up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry you got a bfn and I hope and pray the next cycle brings happier results.

    Insurance companies can be a real pain in the *ss, can't they?

    ICLW #66

    ReplyDelete