Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

February 2, 2012

Yes, I Am That B@*%h

You all are about to find out some not so nice things about me.  J gave me permission to post this info because this blog is my outlet and I promised to blog all the good, the bad, and the ugly.  This is ugly and I'm not apologizing for it.

When J gave his first sample for an SA at the clinic, there was serious performance anxiety.  To the point that the doctor actually called us and said that there was "no way in hell" that we would get pregnant on our own.  Turns out J just couldn't do it in the office.  He was distracted by hearing the nurses outside the room and he's "just not that into himself" if you know what I mean.  So we collected a second sample at home and it was great.  Super sperm.  When we did our first IUI it was the weekend.  He armed himself with "entertainment" on his iPhone.  There was no one in the clinic that day.  The sample was smaller than that last time, but still, it was fantastic.

I was really nervous about this time.  I asked if he wanted to collect at home.  He said it would be fine.  I reminded him that this time would be a weekday and there would be loads of people in the clinic.  He said it would be fine.  I emailed him an article about things you can do to overcome "performance anxiety" when giving a sample in the clinic.  He didn't do them.  He said it would be fine.  I asked if he needed to download a fresh set of "entertainment."  He didn't.  He said it would be fine.  I asked if he wanted me to go back there with him.  He was that would be worse than doing it alone and that it would be fine.

It was not fine.

After sitting in the waiting room for him for an hour (!) I was feeling like I wanted to climb the walls.  He told me it didn't go well.  The performance anxiety was an issue as expected.

Our post was count was 240,000.  Yes, the coma is in the right place.  Yes, there are only 4 zeros.  Volume was 1/2 ML.  We still did it.  I mean, what the hell else were we supposed to do?

Here's the ugly.  I'm feeling no sympathy.  I'm pissed.

We went from being told we could have triplets to being told there was a less than 1% chance of success this cycle in a span of 2 days.  I made 5 freakin follicles.  I've been shot, I've had hot flashes, I've had mood swings, I've been dehydrated, I've gained weight, I've cried, I've cramped, I've left rehearsal to shoot myself in the bathroom.  I feel like this was completely avoidable.  He knew it could be an issue and he knew how to prevent it.  I feel like he let his pride get in the way.  I feel completely let down.  I feel incredibly disappointed.  I feel like my faith in him has been shaken.

Part of me feels guilty for feeling this way because it would be hard to be in his situation.  But I also know that we do not have an MFI issue and he created one for us yesterday.  And when I think about it, I'm pretty sure I would have been able to do it if I were in his situation.  Because I am a planner.  I see what the road blocks are and I make a plan B.  He took the risk of not following a plan B and he lost.  That was not the place to take a risk.

So I'm pissed.  And I know that's a dirty way to feel, but I want off of the effing train and I feel like J leaned against the door and blocked my exit.  I know I need to get over it.  So call me all the names you want, but I'm still pissed.

19 comments:

  1. I think it's okay to be angry, I probably would be angry, too. I think for me the anger would be coming from being hurt and disappointed, like feeling like he wasn't working as a team with me.

    As long as eventually the anger goes away and you both are able to talk about it, recognizing the mistake and why it happened. You *are* a team, so at some point you'll have to regroup, debrief, and get ready for the next opportunity (and, I guess, enjoy the 2ww).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what's bugging me. I feel like my team let me down. I'm getting a grip, though.

      Delete
  2. I am pissed for you. If dudes commiserated about things like this like we do I would put J in touch with A, but that might be too weird.

    You've probably already seen this, but I'm linking it to you for the aforementioned commiseration: http://thecornfedfeminist.blogspot.com/2011/09/just-little-pinch.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure getting all of our husbands together would signify the end of the world. My husband would kill himself before talking to other men about his sperm. :)

      Delete
    2. I think that they are brothahs from anothah mothah. J took the whole freakin' day off too. REALLY?!?

      Delete
    3. Masturbation can be so debilitating. ;)

      Delete
  3. There's absolutely nothing wrong with how you feel. When my DH was diagnosed with MFI, the doctor told him that if he quit smoking, lost weight, and took supplements that there was a possibility that we could conceive naturally. If we couldn't in 3 months we were told we would have to go straight to IVF. Well he did none of it.

    I'm still bitter at him that I was the one that had to bust my ass to lose 15 pounds in a month, inject all these hormones, and have surgeries because he didn't want to even try to take care of himself. He later admitted to me that he didn't because he thought "it wouldn't work anyway". I was livid.

    Men do not handle or feel the same way we do about fertility. It's really hard, but we just have to try to work through it. It's ok to be angry though. You have that right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're totally right. They are on a different wavelength. I'm figuring that out quickly!

      Delete
  4. I'm trying to think of the words to say... all I can really say is thank you for sharing. I have felt that way towards my DH a few times, and it is not fun, but I don't blame you. It is so hard when you feel like you are putting your whole being into making this baby and it doesn't feel supported in the same way by DH. Like Jerbear said, men are different. And non-plannner men walk to their own stride. And that is why we love them... usually ;) I hope this will provide a chance for the two of you to draw closer even though you may feel farther apart right now. *Sending hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's opening up a lot of discussion for us and I am grateful for that!

      Delete
  5. P.S. I don't think this makes you a b*%ch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy, honey I'd be pissed too! Honestly all he has to do is jack off in a cup, it doesn't HURT, it's not INVASIVE, it might be slightly embarrassing, but get over it!!!

    seriosuly I'm pissed for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously - we have all kinds of people up in our business all the time. I'm pretty sure I could get off on demand.

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry hun. They only have to do one thing. One thing. I would be upset too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd be mad too. The lack of planning is an issue me an Blue always have and it makes me crazy. In their defense though at least we don't have to 'rise' to the occation, that would be a little stressful... Also I hate to say this but in regards to sperm it only takes 1... stupid 16 year olds get pregnant from pre-cum so I bet you'll have enough in there. Also, if you would like to read up on just how tough the little swimmers are then read this article (ps it will also piss you off because a girl with no vagina gets pregnant after a blow job and a knife fight)http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/teen-girl-vagina-pregnant-sperm-survival-oral-sex/story?id=9732562

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you freakin' kidding me? How the hell does that kind of thing happen?

      My doc actually said "If I were you, I'd do it. It only takes one sperm... well, not really, but you know what I mean." Ugh!

      Delete
  9. Hey, just wanted to let you know that I linked to this blog post in a post on my blog. It was so nice to see that I was not the only one who had felt like a b%&*h for feeling this way. Thank you.

    http://homegrownlove.blogspot.com/2012/02/vaycay.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I felt good knowing I wasn't the only one! Glad someone else did too!

      Delete
  10. You are so not a b$%&tch. Hang in there - I am thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete