I realized this morning that my next post would be my 100th and I felt kind of sad that I didn't have anything monumental to say. Then I realized that I kind of did! Well, it's monumental to me at least.
I deactivated my facebook account.
I can come back to it if I want to, but I really need a break. There were four, yes FOUR pregnancy announcements in my face this week. I just can't hide people quickly enough anymore. One was my 26 year old cousin and his wife. That stung. They were married shortly after us and the wife just started a masters program. I thought we had some time before that one hit. Another was a friend who grew up across the street from me. He's been married forever so I thought they might be "in the club." If they are, I'm super happy for them, but the cute little announcement stabbed a bit. One chick I went to college with announced hers four times in one day in four different cutesy ways. FOUR TIMES! This was for her 3rd kid. Another is pregnant with her 4th. When you are in your 30s and Catholic, people lap you in a big way.
I just need a breather. My mother pointed out that it's more of a self-torture device than a source of entertainment at this point. My real friends will still email or *gasp* pick up a phone... I hope.
February 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You did it!! Yay!! \o/ (that's a celebration person)
ReplyDeleteI've tried a facebook fast, but I'm entirely too connected. I admire your strength.
Wow, good for you! I would like to do the same, but still use it to keep up with family around the world. Maybe I'll have to start over with just close family.
ReplyDeleteAnd your 100th post is a celebration no matter what! Think about how much you've shared through this blog. Good for you.
Happy 100th! I thought I was safe from the facebook pregnancy announcements because I'm pretty selective and have very few "friends" (relatively). But in the last two weeks, I've seen two pregnancy announcements, one a very cutesy one (gag), for a 2nd and 4th child. I'm definitely tempted to pull the plug, too! Good for you!
ReplyDeleteUGH. Deactivating your FB account sounds like a great idea. Maybe I'll do it myself. I don't know why the FB announcements smart in such a profound and particular way, but they do. I wish pregnancy announcements themselves were banned from FB!!
ReplyDeleteMo
I completely admire you for doing this!
ReplyDeleteFirst, congratulations on your 100th post! Second, good for you on deactivating your Facebook account. Seriously, four?! I am sure your real friends will call because I would.
ReplyDelete