Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

May 18, 2012

"Just Give Up and Adopt"

I was filling my mom in on all the recent RE drama.  She was, of course, quite distraught at the whole invasiveness of the next steps.  She kept talking about how proud she was of us and how strong we are.  I'm beginning to learn that.

Then she said, "You know, people keep asking me why you guys don't just give up and adopt, but I just think you have to exhaust all of your options."

By "people" she means my Midwestern, Tea Party leaning, old as dirt aunts and uncles I'm sure.  And probably a cousin or two.  It really bothers me to know that people are out there talking about us behind our backs.  They are judging the choices we are making without having one iota of what we are going through.  They sit among their swarms of grandchildren and judge.  We're Catholic.  The swarms are large.

I filled my mom in on my thoughts, which are by no means new to her, nor are they anything she disagrees with.  She's used to me spewing out my thoughts argumentatively even though she totally agrees with everything I'm saying.  I repeated that adoption is a choice and is by no means "giving up."  That there is no "just" about any of this.  That adoption isn't the responsibility of the infertile.  That we have insurance coverage for IF, but not money to adopt.  And then I told her what I've been afraid to tell her for months:

"If this doesn't work out.  We're leaning towards just not having any kids."
"That's okay, Lisa."
"We want a biological baby, just like everybody else wants."
"Of course you do.  Just be open to changing your mind."
"We are, but right now... I just couldn't forgive myself if I wasn't sure I did everything I could."
"I know."
"Mom, we don't want to raise someone else's baby.  We want to raise our baby."
"That's okay, Lisa."
"Sometimes I feel really guilty about that, because I know the whole world thinks adoption is what you're supposed to do when you can't have a baby on your own."
"There is no reason to feel guilty.  Even if it doesn't work out, look at your life!  Look at your husband!  You will be fulfilled.  Everything will be okay, no matter what, and you will still be a wonderful person.  Even without children you ARE a wonderful person."

I cannot tell you how badly I needed to hear that.

Every mother of every woman who cannot get pregnant on their own needs to tell her that they are wonderful.  IF makes you feel like a failure as a woman, as a wife, as a member of the world.  When your mother tells you that despite your inability to make babies you are still wonderful to her, everything feels better for a moment at least.  And when she is accepting of your "child free plan B"... well hot damn.

11 comments:

  1. What an amazing thing your mom has said. You are so right, it makes all the difference in the world when you mother is in your corner and accepts every decision that you make regardless of her own thoughts and feelings. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought tears to my eyes. I just recently made the step to clue my mom in that I might never be able to give her a grand child. Her reaction was very similar to your mom's. They're words can make such a difference in the way we feel about us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on, Mom! Sorry to hear about the judgy family members...that's a really hard part about this journey. The hubs and I find ourselves in your position about adoption and it drives me crazy how people re-visit the question like we've changed our minds. Feeling like you have to explain your personal choices is a pain in the ass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post nearly made me cry. I needed to hear those words too! My mom is supportive but a lot of times she doesn't know quite what to say or how to be, and I end up feeling like she falls short, and maybe resenting her a little because I was accident and after that, they never tried for more kids, so she has NO idea at all what it's like to even try for a baby, let alone have trouble trying. Anyways, you mom is right - you ARE a wonderful person, kids or no kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be so hard to have other judging your decisions when the decisions are so difficult in the first place! I'm glad your mom understands and you are awesome either way. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... your mom totally rocks.

    As for those other people could they please direct us to that "just" adopt superstore where they are handing out babies for free? Why is it the infertiles should be adopting. Couldn't fertiles have just "given up" and adopted as well?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so wonderful that your mom is so understanding and supportive--that makes ALL the difference on this crappy journey with infertility. I'm so sorry about your judgmental family members. I recently decided to leave the Catholic church because I could no longer sit there and feel judged for the decisions we made to grow our family, especially given the Pope's recent statements regarding IVF children being products and not conceived out of love. There is nothing "just" about adoption or IUI or IVF. People who have no idea what it's like to struggle should just keep their mouths shut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great that your mom is so encouraging. Not all mom are like that, you are very lucky. (My mom has her moments, I think the worst of it was when I chose not to go to a baby shower she was co-hosting for her friend's daughter, she told me that, "I just wish you would suck it up and go with me.)

    As far as adoption, it isn't for everyone. Its good that you recognize your limitations. But I still think adoption is still something that is far off in the future (Don't say no to it just yet). I know for me and my DH it took time and 11 months of grief counseling for us to move forward with choosing adoption.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my god, Lisa, I am crying. I wish I could have had a conversation like that with my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad your mum understands. I'm lucky to have the support of mine too, and it makes SUCH a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It makes such a difference to have someone there who loves you and supports you; making you aware you are still so special to them. My mom has been there every step of the way for me too and what a difference it makes! So nice to see you so honest about your thoughts on adoption, I too don't feel it is what I want right now, but sometimes I don't know if its okay to admit that. Thanks for making it okay.

    ReplyDelete