Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

May 5, 2012

Grace

Grace is one of those words I find to be elusive.  It's something you say before meals, mumbling and blubbering as quickly as you can so you can get to the eating.  To my mother, it's the ability to walk while balancing a book on your head and not to use the word "ute" when speaking of your womb (I'm such a disappointment!).  It's a way to address a king or an archbishop.  In music, it's a tiny little trill that I love to alight on.  Some of my friends who walk a more evangelical walk talk about "giving grace."  How the heck and I supposed to give it if I don't even know what it is?  Somehow I missed this one in my catechism.

Miriam Webster doesn't help me out much on this one.  Wikipedia only makes it more intriguing!  While Christians see grace as a gift, Hindus see it as something that one earns.  It sounds like a lovely thing that I'd like to be... or have... or give... but I don't know why or how since I'm not sure what it's all about.

What does grace mean to you?  Is it something you learn in ballet class?  How to you incorporate it in your life, or do you at all?

4 comments:

  1. Interesting post today. What made you think about this? All I know off the top of my head is that I love the name Grace and would love to use it someday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lutherans believe that we are saved by grace through faith. I've always taken my definition of grace from that belief, Jesus "graces" us with the forgiveness of our sins because we believe he is our savior.
    So I guess grace, to me, is a gift given that isn't necessarily deserved... Maybe, what ever it means you've got me thinking about it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a thoughtful post! It's also got me thinking....to me grace is both state of being and a gift that can be given. I think one can move through life looking graceful, but trip when it comes to handling situations with grace. That's what is so amazing about that little word to me...it means so many different things to different people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thinking of you and hoping that you are surviving the two week wait...

    ReplyDelete