May 3, 2012
Amendment One
My blog, my thoughts.
In a few days, my state will vote on our first constitutional amendment. Is it some beautiful piece of legislation granting rights to the people of North Carolina that didn't before exist? Of course not! It's a piece of bigotry, limiting the freedoms of individuals and pushing the religious views of others down our throats.
It is, of course, an amendment to ban gay marriage. At this point, we are the only southern state without one. The proponents bill it as a way to "protect marriage." Yes, the people of North Carolina, home to John Edwards, think that marriage needs to be protected by not letting members of the LBGT community play a part in it. Because straight people are doing such a great job.
I live in a very progressive part of the state and there are signs EVERYWHERE that are encouraging people to vote against it. But it's a big state. A very rural state. A very bible thumping state. That makes this all the more frightening, because not only is this amendment disgusting and ridiculous, the way it is worded also attacks straight couples who live together without being married. It's broad and poorly worded, putting things at risk like health insurance for children of unmarried couples and protections for abused spouses. But people get so fueled by the gay marriage debate, that there is a real fear that people will blindly vote for it.
Listen, these are the things that I know are true. Jesus said, "Love one another." He said, "Judge not lest you be judged." I know that love is a beautiful thing no matter where it is found. I know that it is not my place to tell others how to live their lives. I certainly don't want people telling me how to live mine. I also know this: When our forefathers started this country, freedom of religion was a driving force. Freedom of religion to me means not shoving your religious beliefs into a constitutional amendment. The ads promoting this amendment are heavily Christian and Evangelical. Nothing says "screw you founding fathers" like putting a bible front and center in a political ad touting an amendment.
And that's what I have to say about that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I was shocked when Prop 8 (banning gay marriage) passed in California, CALIFORNIA! I don't think it would pass today, but it did just a few short years ago. I wish there was real separation between church and state.
ReplyDeleteI am so sick of righties forcing through bills in the name of religion. Freedom of religion also means freedom from religion. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you. The marriage equality debate makes me sick. It's the same way I feel about the abortion debate. If you don't believe in abortion, don't get one. But don't use your religious agenda or "moral values" or whatever it is to restrict the rights of others. That's the most un-American of all.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you. Being a Californian during Prop 8's passage was just sickening. Hoping the best for North Carolina's vote.
ReplyDeleteit's pretty awesome that in north carolina there is a community against bigotry. i hope your state fares better than "progressive California" did!! it really is shocking and saddens me (as a proud Californian)that Californians banned that.
ReplyDeleteCouldn't agree with you more!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I know you're probably not reading this right now because of your converence, but I wanted to know I gave you an award! Go check it out: http://soonafamily.wordpress.com/2012/05/04/a-lovely-little-something/
:)