Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

May 16, 2012

Jiminy Christmas

My RE called last night for an impromptu WTF.  I certainly don't mind the phone call vs office visit scenario.  He's kind of socially awkward and seems to do better on the phone.  Also, I'm down with the lack of copay for these phone calls.

He was so kind.  He genuinely seemed very surprised by our poor fertilization and negative beta.  He said we would definitely do ICSI, but that there was no guarantee that it would fix things for us.  He wants to do an endometrial biopsy, which seems to be pretty standard after a failed IVF, so while I'm certainly  not psyched about it, I will sign up for more cervical suction cups and catheters.

Then he started talking about the endo issue.  About 10 years ago, I had symptoms that led my then Gyno to suspect endometriosis. She put me on the pill and there I sat.  Truth be told, I had symptoms long before that, but I also had an asshat for an Gyno when I was young and naive who said "Yup, periods hurt."  He was a dude.  Surprised?  Anyway, they have never seen any evidence of endo on my ovaries, so they assumed that if it were endo, it couldn't be severe.  He said that there is a chance that I could have severe endo that just isn't on my ovaries, and while it would be rare, it could affect egg quality and fertilization rates.  He didn't come out and say it, but I think the fact that we had a few fertilize, ended up with a couple of embryos, and I didn't get pregnant leads him to think this is an egg issue and not some subtle sperm issue.

So he wants to do one of two things.  Either assume I have endo and put me on Lupron for 2 1/2 months or do a lap.  I was down for the lap right then and there.  For one thing, I need to know.  For another, I ain't takin' something as evil as Lupron without knowing if I really need it or not.  For a third, I have a big history of early onset osteoporosis in my family that includes my mother.  I do NOT need to encourage that shit and I certainly don't need to shrink for the love of all that is good and holy.  No Sally Field meds to be added to my cocktail, thank you very much.

He didn't want me to make any decisions yet.  He wanted us to sit on it for a bit and then come in and talk to him about all the pros and cons.  He's never seemed very psyched about the thought of a lap and hasn't come out and said why.  Before it was just that he thought IVF would circumvent the issue, but he doesn't have that to fall back on anymore.  He said any surgery was a big deal and the Lupron is a big deal too.  I send babies off to surgery on a daily basis so maybe that's why I'm a little desensitized to the whole surgery thing, I don't know.  He kept talking about how emotional this all is and that we just had a big blow.  While I appreciate the sentiment, all I kept thinking was that it was one of a million other nasty blows and we just want to keep chugging along.  He recommended seeing their therapist and I thought that was a good idea.  Lord knows I'm as anxious as all get out these days. 

The RE kept repeating, "The biggest predictor of outcome is age and you have that on your side."  I wanted to yell, "FOR HOW LONG!?"  I turned 34 a month ago.  The magic number will be here before I know it.  Every time we make a decision, another cycle goes by before we can act on it and another month is lost.

I just hate wasting time.  I feel like there will be an end to all of this at some point and I want to get there.  Whether that's end comes with a baby or not... I just want to know what's on the other side.  I want to stop hurting.  I want to see my husband enjoy 24 whole hours of happiness.  I want my life to revolve around something else.

If you've gotten this far, I appreciate it and apologize for your eye strain.  Got any advice?  To Lap or to Lup?

13 comments:

  1. SO much to think about... I'd do a lap. I had one already, found out I had stage IV boooo :| It is good to know, because then you know exactly what you're up against! Good luck in your decision making ((hugs)) I'll be thinking of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for the knowing! Thanks for the hugs. :)

      Delete
  2. Lupron is evil. I opted for a Lap and I would do it again a thousand times to get out of Lupron. I hope all goes well for you. They can do a hysteroscopy and HSG at the same time without you having to be conscious for it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping they'll do the biopsy at the same time... because that sounds like loads of fun!

      Delete
  3. Gosh, that's a lot to take in. So you didn't do ICSI for the last IVF? No advice, except to keep trying, you never know when that good egg will reveal itself. I totally get you on the needing to know when it is over. We decided one more IVF and then move onto adoption, we were very very lucky what happened to us, but the peace of mind after I made that decision was ...so nice. Our life returned to almost normal programming.

    I think being on the pill masked a lot of my issues. Especially now that they suspect endo. I don't know what I'm dealing with in the future should this pregnancy not work out, or when I try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We skipped ICSI because all signs pointed to no need for it and we didn't want to do it unless we had to. Guess we have to now!

      Delete
  4. I have no advice on lap vs lup, as I've done neither. I just wanted to say it sounds like you're handling this amazingly well. It can't be easy, but your willingness to dive right into whatever's next, that takes some big-time strength. And I hear you on wanting your life to revolve around something else. Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about chocolate? Can my life revolve around chocolate?

      Delete
  5. Oh, gynos who tell teenage girls "Yup, periods hurt" should be taken out behind the shed and taught a lesson. Not that I would ever advocate violence. But this happened to me too. Repeatedly. For years. And so you suck it up and figure it's like this for everyone and if they would have just listened to you way back when...oh, this just burns me up.

    But that is neither here nor there on the lap vs. lup thing. I suspect your Dr. is hesitant because taking a drug is inherently less invasive than a surgical procedure, but I'm like the other people who have commented -- I would want to KNOW. If it is endo, they may be able to get rid of some or all of the endometriomas at the same time, and if it isn't, well, again with the KNOWING. I haven't had a lap myself (my surgery for fibroids involved much more cutting), but I understand the recovery isn't usually too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with ya on the knowing. Lupron just seems like way big of a deal when we aren't even sure I need it

      I'm ready to start a letter writing campaign to all stupid gynos. Teenagers can hurt too!

      Delete
  6. Haven't done Lupron so I can't help you there. I have done a lap though. It did give us a lot of answers (and solved some issues), but it was a bitch and a half in terms of recovery. First week was hell.
    I totally understand your need to get chugging along with this, and the lap is probably the fastest way to get answers, but keep in mind it is invasive. I totally understand why your doc isn't completely gung-ho.
    Remember - at the end of the day, your long-term health needs to stay intact. That's just as important, if not more important than a take-home baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love your wise comments, Mo. I'm really thinking the Lupron has a much larger risk of long term impact than the lap. The whole osteoporosis thing is a big deal in my family. Both my mom and my grandma were diagnosed several years before they started menopause. I don't want to help kick start that! Could I borrow your Russian? :)

      Delete
  7. I had a lap and it was all clear, but just the knowledge of that was worth going through with it. It meant I could move on to find out what our fertility problem really was. I'd definitely go Lap. By the way, I am so so sorry that this cycle didn't work out for you. I went through the same in Jan and it really hurt. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete