Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

December 31, 2012

The Year of Betterness - A Guest Post

For some reason, we thought that tossing out the BCPs ceremoniously on New Years was a great idea.  Now it just gives us a very obvious marker of how long we've been trying.  It's been two years.  I know many people have been on this road for much longer, and I can't imagine how doing this year after year would wear on a person and a marriage.  I do know that we went through so much in 2012 alone.  Three IUIs, two fresh IVFs, one FET, one laproscopy/hysteroscopy/D&C, and two months of Lupron Depot therapy.  We are determined to grab 2013 by horns and make it "The Year of Betterness."  After all, we will find resolution this year.  Whether it's the ending we're hoping for or an unforeseen path, it will still be a resolution and we are excited about that.  My husband is much better about talking about this than I am, so I'll let him do it...

My wife casually mentioned the other day, “Will you write about our Year of Betterness?” For a brief moment, I was confused. In my defense, I was watching Iron Chef and pondering how Mortadella, a strange amalgam of pork slurry with pistachios extruded into person sized logs, constituted fine cuisine. As my daze lifted, I agreed with a half-hearted yet enthusiastic, “Uh, okay.”

A day removed, I sit in my office and try to write, yet remain confused. Allow me to explain.

Go and ask your loved one or co-worker the question, “Define better.” Chances are the most common response will go something like this, “What do you mean, better?” or a simple confused look. If the other person responds by using the word better to define better, than call it a day and send the person away.

Dictionary.com defines better as “of superior quality or excellence” which would in turn lead to the justified conclusion that 2012 was of lesser quality. By all accounts, this is a fair and true assessment because 2012 has been a disappointment. No champagne wishes and caviar dreams here. Let’s be honest, it was crap-tastic. Time wasn’t measured in days and months. It was measured in IVF cycles, injections, appointments, and a lot of wait and see. The wait and see was the worst part. It served as a reminder that as time moved forward, our collective feet were mired in concrete.

The casual reader would and rightly so interpret this to mean that it would have been better if 2012 never happened. This is where we would part company. As crazy as it may sound, I learned a lot about life, friends, and the relationship I have with my wife. Some of these lessons were bitter-sweet, but in the end I learned that my marriage can withstand anything. Love you babe.

This leads to the whole point of my inconsistent ramblings. Will 2013 be better than 2012?

1. Nothing today is promised tomorrow. So make the most of today.
2. Choose the happy. Whether we like it or not, it’s up to us.
3. More bacon. Rumors of a price increase have been dispelled. So let them eat bacon.
4. Three Little Birds by Bob Marley. Listen to it once every day and I dare you not to smile.

I have no idea what 2013 holds for us as a family, but it should be interesting. In closing, I want to leave everyone with one of my favorite quotes and true words to live by from Coach Jimmy Valvano:

“To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.”

11 comments:

  1. I was in Jamaica last year in January and "Three Little Birds" was everywhere we went. And I never got sick of it! Your husband is right, it can cure all that ails you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, J, for this post! Here's to a better 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You went through so much in 2012. I truly hope you are able to fill 2013 with wonderful memories and lots of great milestones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, J! This was a beautiful post. I can't believe how much the two of you went through in 2012. You are well shot of it, I think, and tossing the BCPs is a great start to 2013. It's going to be YOUR year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post! I love the Jimmy Valvano quote! I hope this is your year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post! Here's to a new year and new things....better or not....it is a new beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for a better 2013 - a year filled with hope, peace, and love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw great post. Thanks J. I've been trying to get my hubby to write one for a while and he keeps procrastinating. Maybe I'll show him this to get him motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post. I will show this to Remus, I would love him to guest on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really really love this. Thanks! And thanks for the song rec...I'll check it out. :) Happy new year to you two!

    ReplyDelete