Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

December 28, 2012

Take THAT Catholicism

For Christmas Mass, we ended up at the Super Conservative Church that my mom promised we'd never have to go back to.  My mother said that it was either that or the church with all the babies, and she'd made the executive decision that there were too many babies all Christmased-up at the other church for any of us to feel comfortable.  So off to the church of closed mindedness we go.

During the petitions, the following prayer was made, "For the protection of the sanctity of life, from natural conception to natural death."  I reached over and linked pinkies with J.  Just a little movement. I don't know if the words "natural conception" were enough to startle my mom too or if she saw my little finger move, but she leaned over and said the best thing ever...

"Even Mary didn't conceive naturally."

I may have laughed in church.

15 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha!!! OMG, your mom is hilarious! I hope you had a Merry Christmas and managed to connect with the Lord despite the closed minded doctrine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this, and your mother! Thank you for the smile and giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the most awesome thing I have ever heard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEST.COMMENT.EVER!!!!! I absolutely love this!!!! Literally snorting with laughter!!! AWESOME!!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Love it. We had lots of conversations this Christmas re: Catholicism/organized religion, god, etc. this holiday season. My mom and aunt were raised in a strict Catholic household and even though they both keep the religion, neither really believes in any of the things that make Catholicism Catholic (vs. Episcopal or something with more progressive, forgiving views). The next generation (me, my cousins) don't believe at all or even choose to go to church (oo, especially after the pope's recent remarks about gay people - ugh).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mom is a comic genius! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go Mom!!!! For the record: anyone who literally believes what old men who are sexually starved are telling them about how to control their reproduction should seriously question their stance of modern medicine. Total double standard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mom is the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a cradle catholic and mom to two babies created "unnaturally".....I totally leave all the indoctrinating BS with the church and keep my relationship firmly rooted with God....not a bunch of men thinking they know it all. I respect the traditions and the fact that many of these church laws are good intended....but a lot of them are just BS. I go to church...I love the tradition and I take communion (even though I am divorced and remarried)...I don't believe in confession to a human...just to God...and I proudly baptize my babies. Your mom is AWESOME!!!! I am sending a lot of baby dust your way this year and I have my St. Gerard book of prayers out praying for all mamas and hopeful mamas.
    kd

    ReplyDelete