Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

December 12, 2012

My Pal the Duchess

News of the Royal Pregnancy was irksome to our little community for all of the reasons we know so well.  For J and me, it was especially gut punching.  Enough that when I came home from work that day,he grabbed me in a big hug as soon as I walked in the door and I knew exactly why.  It was the royal bun in the oven news.

See, we got married the day after they did.  Ever since they announced their wedding date, teasing and jokes comparing our life to theirs ensued and it has been kind of fun.  Kate had her prince and I had mine.  Kindred spirits and all that.  Hardy har har.

It seems ridiculous to feel sad about it, I know.  I'm sure it's a combination of things.  Of course there's the fear that since so many people link their wedding with ours, that opens up more opportunities for the "So William and Kate are having a baby, aren't you gunna catch up?" comments.  Catch up my ass!  We started trying before the damned wedding!  And like everyone else, I am not looking forward to six more months of baby talk.

I think the biggest thing is that it's a huge public marker of our life of limbo. Everyday we hear something else about the royal fetus.  They got married, they're having a baby.  We got married at the same time, we're having a.... well... we did just put our names on a waiting list for a new puppy.  Does that count?

I'm just tired of feeling like life is moving past us at warp speed.  In the long run, I'm sure it isn't important.  I'm sure that it's better for us to sit here and learn all the lessons we are supposed to be learning on this journey.  There are so many days lately where I see the strength I've gained and little sparks of wisdom that I know wouldn't be manifesting themselves if it weren't for being forced to deal with this crap road.  At the same time, I'm watching friends and family move away from our little circle of life because we just don't fit.  We don't even fit with our royal cognates anymore.

At least I think that's it.  Maybe I've just officially fallen off my rocker.

10 comments:

  1. I completely agree. It is so hard to see everyone else (and their dog!) lap you when you are putting in so much effort. Personally I have wondered if the royals may have used A.R.T. Such as IVF to ensure success with as quick pregnancy...but I have no idea. I agree that having a longevity approach is so helpful. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been upset by any celebrity getting pregnant, especially if I knew they'd gotten married after me (since being infertile). You have all the right in the world to hate Kate just a little. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say this is a normal reaction. I think (for me at least) the irritation is in that it's so public and cheerful and everyone is so excited about this baby. It's right in our face and so we see with every headline what we don't have. And that hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was brought up in our infertility group the other day that Kate could have went through ivf. Lots of the woman think she was also having problems conceiving, so we are all waiting to see if there are twins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg I feel the sane way. Except in my weirdness, I'm happy for her. I mean, can you imagine being infertile with the Queen as your grandma-in-law?!? But that's just me, I know. ;)

    I do understand the feeling of standing still while everyone around you keeps moving forward. And more and more until they feel soooo far away. It effing suuuuucks and is so not fair. Just know we are rooting for you guys big time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you my lovely, I was married exactly three months after her and I had a very similar reaction to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I just wrote a smidge about this. I can't imagine dealing with it if people made a connection between the two of you... but I think it's upsetting to everyone because we are SO aware of how hyper-covered this thing is going to be... And already is. Not to mention the bombardment of baby photos when the kid arrives, which will be constant. And then I'm guessing.. maybe 6 months? Maybe 6 months after it's born they'll start rumors about her adding to the family. Barf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also wonder about ART for the royals, considering they are pregnant after 18 months and I would have assumed they would be trying immediately. But it still sucks to have such a public parallel :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are so many reasons I wouldn't want to be compared to Kate Middleton. This is just one of them. Sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can totally relate to this. We got married the day after as well! It sucks having such a public reminder of your infertility milestones.

    ReplyDelete