A couple of things have happened lately that made me reflect on some posts by Mel at Stirrup-Queens. The first incident made me think of her What's In a Name post. My Best Friend Back Home (BFBH) is pregnant with her third child. They were "trying for a girl," a concept that makes my head spin. She emailed me to talk baby names, a concept that honestly thrills me. As someone who has spent way too much time thinking every month was "the one," and spends each day meeting new little ones at work with the most effed up names ever, I consider myself a name connoisseur. It's one of the first gifts you give your child. It's loaded with background, meaning, family history, personality, and love. If you ask me, a name does help shape who we become. BFBH has lovely choices in mind, but one would be the nickname of our girl name. Yes, we are insane enough to have a girl name and a boy name chosen. I'm not one who believes in "claiming" names, which is why BFBH doesn't know what our names are (that and she may think I'm a complete lunatic). These names are important to us, but if BFBH wanted to give one to her daughter, I wouldn't dream of stopping her. I wouldn't dream of not giving that name to our child either. The reasons we chose our names are much different than the reasons she chose hers, whether they ended up being the same combination of letters or not. It did make me think of something I hadn't before, though. What if this doesn't work and I spend the rest of my life loving on BFBH's child who has the same name as our ghost child? Will that make it harder to say goodbye to her? Will be have a constant remembrance of what might have been? I suddenly feel like we made a huge boo boo here. We used to look at names as a way of keeping hope alive, but I'm afraid that we may have delved into another situation where hope becomes an albatross rather than the perfect little dove it's supposed to be.
While we've been pretty good about keeping hope alive this cycle, we've also been reveling in the lasts. Last night I injected my last FSH/LH cocktail ever. I was thrilled. I wasn't wistful or sad that that this is our last try. I'm that ready to get off this train. Looking at these lasts is a way of looking toward the future. There is a bit of celebration in these lasts. They are the lasts that could lead to a baby or not. Either way, these lasts lead to a whole different life for J and me. Each road deserves it own excitement and each road is a complete unknown to us.
So tonight I trigger for the last time. On Tuesday, we go in for our last retrieval. I'm going to stay away from the blogs until Beta. I've been so good with the Circle + Bloom and doing my best to stay zen. I want to do everything I can to stay that way. While I'm in a cycle, I get into this strange mindset where I see some giant stork in the sky handing out babies and if I see a load of BFPs in the blogosphere, I'm convinced that the stork will be passing us by once again because he forgot about us and ran out of pregnancies. I don't want to have that neurotic feeling, so I'm going ostrich and sticking my head in the sand. So, I'll see y'all in a couple of weeks. Please forgive me for not commenting. I promise I will catch up with your stories when all is said and done with us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Praying for you!!! I hope that everything goes smoothly! I look forward to your return into the blog world!
ReplyDeleteCant wait to hear how this cycle ended! Good luck to you!
ReplyDeleteWishing you lots of luck over the next few weeks! I'll be thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you and sending good wishes. Be kind to yourself! x
ReplyDeleteOh, the name things is so hard and your take on it is very interesting. Yay for relishing the lasts! Sending you many positive and zen thoughts. Good luck! XO
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way about statistics, it's kind of superstitious but I agree it's best to stay away from blogs during this time.
ReplyDeleteI love names too. I wouldn't go there pre pregnancy but afterwards did put a lot if thought into it.
I wish you so much luck on your last cycle!! Man I am hoping you get to use one of those names you have chosen. Try to stay sane during all this. I'm glad you feel relief rather than sadness.
We share the same views on names and I totally hear you on the limited number of BFPs in the blogosphere every cycle. I will be thinking of you on Tuesday and the weeks that follow. Keep that zen going.
ReplyDeleteThis is a wonderful post. I struggled so long with names & wondered the same things you have. It's a very hard place to be. I hope beyond hope this journey of lasts leads you to a positive ending. I completely get hiding in the sand. That TWW is enough of a roller coaster without knowing what's going on the the blogosphere. Good luck on Tuesday & may this cycle bring you a positive ending. Everything crossed for you!
ReplyDeleteCompletely get it. Even though logically I know that someone else getting a BFP does not diminish my chances, it's hard not to have that feeling.
ReplyDeleteReveal in the lasts (hell, I would host mini-celebrations). And know that there are so many who are rooting for you.
Will be thinking of and praying for you over these next couple of weeks. I am glad that no matter the outcome, you are looking ahead to a new road.
ReplyDeleteThe name stuff always feels like such thin ice to me (in the sense that it's scary to hope that much)...
ReplyDeleteAnd I know that feeling of 'only so many pregnancies to go around'. Ugh.
I've been following your story for the last few months and will have everything crossed for you for this cycle. Everything! Lay low for as long as you need to, will be looking forward to your update.
Hubby and I have several names picked out already--we're that crazy/hopeful.
ReplyDeleteWishing you the best as you check off the next few "lasts" and looking forward to an update in a couple of weeks!
Thinking of you and looking forward to your update in a few weeks.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with everything and I really hope to see you back here in a few weeks with good news. Fingers crossed for you.
ReplyDeleteI just started the Circle + Bloom this cycle for the first time. Hoping it keeps me zen, as well.
Enjoy your break and best of luck on Tuesday and the next two weeks. We are rooting for you!
ReplyDeleteOh can't wait to hear your results!!! There will be lots of prayers sent your way. I really, really, really hope the stork comes your way this time. Fingers crossed!
ReplyDeletewishing you huge amounts of good luck and calm thoughts the next few weeks - great idea to steer clear of blogs for a bit. And I really like your albatross/dove metaphor. I never really let myself get as far as committing to names but I know just what you mean.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you my dear and crossing everything.
ReplyDeleteI know you will not see this comment until you know what has gone down with this cycle. Still, I can't let it pass without saying I am in the stands rooting my heart out for you guys.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!!
ReplyDeleteVisiting from ICLW.
I can admit I still think of names even though we are most likely done so you aren't so crazy. Or perhaps we all are nuts. Take care. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
ReplyDeleteSending so many prayers your way for your little miracle hapa baby!
ReplyDeleteI'll be thinking about you! Lots of luck!
ReplyDeleteWith every ounce of my being I want this for you Lisa! I am cheering like crazy here in KCMO!
ReplyDeletepeace,
laura
Good luck! Thank you for sharing your story.
ReplyDeleteI know you are going through the most important days fo your cycle. Wishing you the best luck!
ReplyDeleteBest of luck. Really hoping that the stork will come your way this time! Thinking of you.
ReplyDelete