Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

January 15, 2013

Effing With My Zen

*Note 1: I find that when I vent/whine/crab here about something, it ends up being all for naught.  I hope that happens with this post too.

*Note 2: This post has nothing to do with my pelvic region, but I'm sure I'll find a way to tie it in somehow.  I don't think I can walk two steps without it having to do with my ute.

I'm what you would call a reluctant landlord. I bought a house in all of my "holy crap I'm turning 30" panic.  Then I of COURSE met a dude I wanted to marry.  We wanted to live in the same house.  We owed more on both houses than they were worth, because we both bought our respective houses at the same time - right before the bubble burst.  My house would make a good rental property and his was more underwater than mine.  Done deal.  Mine becomes a rental and we live in his.

It wasn't too big of a deal the first year or so.  We started to think this could be a long term thing.  Perhaps it would help pay tuition for a kid one day or it could be supplemental retirement income.  We were breaking even on it.  Our renter was paying and was a nice guy.  He wanted to renew his lease for 18 more months!  Things were good.

Then he started paying a little late.  All year.  Just late enough that we couldn't charge a late fee.  Then there was a girlfriend.  And a temporary cat that seems to have overstayed its welcome.  And this month, he hasn't paid rent.  We can file for eviction if he doesn't pay by end of business tomorrow and we intend to.

It's a crappy economy and shit happens, but we need to keep our heads above water too.  Two mortgages is no bueno.  All the work we are going to have to do to get the house rentable again is no bueno.  Having a vacancy in the winter is no bueno.  Going to court and actually evicting someone - for sure no bueno.  Doing all of this while undergoing our last round of IVF when I'm trying to be all stress free and zen (see brought it back around to the ute) SUCKS.

Watch us end up with a court date that falls on retrieval day.

Hear me now, universe!  I'm complaining about it on my blog!  Let there be a rent check tomorrow!

16 comments:

  1. Maybe the rental crap will keep your mind off the IVF crap? That really sucks. Having a good renter is key. I hope he didn't mess up the place too bad and that you can get a replacement asap (after you get him out)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, that's frustrating - but I'm hoping you get your check tomorrow. Is it worth having a sit down meeting with your tenant to go through things with him? You've obviously given him plenty of chances now, and the constant lateness is NOT on. We rented through a real estate agent {who dealt with us on the landlord's behalf} and it was clear in our contract that if we were late, even by a day, there were fees involved. Maybe something like that, or a tenancy updated agreement might solve your issues?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. That stinks! I hope you have a check in hand soon. What do you expect to have to do to get the house ready to rent again? Do you guys handle such things yourself? You know you can call me if you need a paint crew! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a pain... I have been there an evicted a Tenant once. Renting is a nightmare when it comes to this point. My best advice is to get the late renter out and start looking for a new one. If he has been late already, he will keep on it... It may look difficult to find a new Tenant, but it is not impossible plus you may find the best Tenant next time and live stress free moving forward. Just wish all this was not happening along with your IVF... Hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have wanted to get a rental property for a few years now and my husband absolutely refuses due to the huge pain in the butt they usually turn into. Hopefully your renter is just going through a hard time and things will turn around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain. I had to evict my renter (for the first time ever) as she became a hoarder and trashed the place (it's a long sad story). But, I did want to say that there is a silver lining. Rents seem to be going up and there are *a lot* of people looking for rentals this Winter. You might be able to raise your current rent (and have a little positive cash flow) if you end up looking for a new tenant. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man! That does suck! I know how annoying this situation can be, as my boss has several rental properties... it's never a good time when rent is late. I hope the universe listens and gives you a damn break :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh! That is so frustrating! I hope the rent check comes today and you don't have to worry about this for another couple of weeks at least...

    ReplyDelete
  9. How frustrating and annoying! I used to work in real estate for a handful of years. I got my fair share of good/bad renters there. I can only imagine how bad it is if it is your own property! FX that the universe is on your side!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is why I'm terrified of renting. Being a landlord is hard enough with a GOOD tenant. I am so sorry that you have to deal with this.

    My fingers are crossed that somehow you can get this resolved quickly (i.e. this guy ending up in court scares him into paying up and vacating the property). And hopefully well before you have to start this round of IVF.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fingers crossed for a rent check, so you don't have to deal with all that BS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the reason why my husband and I have yet to buy a house though we could afford it. With the military we move a lot and we know that we'd have to rent it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really sorry to hear you have to deal with this. My parents rent out the house they own in Maine and have been through all sorts of similar crap (including having to evict the first renter they had... in the winter... during the economic depression...). I really hope that things get straightened out for you with minor glitches so that you can focus on the more important aspects of life/building a family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you get that rent check. Obvious question but did you try to get in touch with him? It's possible that he forgot? Sorry, that's probably naive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Come on, rent check. Stop effing around! My hope is always that as soon as I commit to something, like renewing my license for 4 years, Hubby will get a job and we'll have to move. Never seems to work out that way, though. I hope the universe listens to you better than it listens to me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is why we are still in my teeny tiny townhouse....My hubs is afraid to rent for this exact reason even though we have way outgrown this space. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this....I hope you can either find a new renter or sell the extra house soon!! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete