We all have one. Four
walls, a closet, and a lot of hopes and dreams unfulfilled. Some fill their Rooms with stuff, trying to
find a way to cover up the empty space and pain. Others leave it empty, a reminder of what
could be. The Room is very personal to
all of us. Whether we like it or not, it
becomes a sacred space charged with emotion.
Our room is empty… and my mother-in-law is coming.
J has not been very forthcoming with his parents about our
infertility, partly because of the language barrier. He does not know, nor does he care to know, the
word “uterus” in Korean. The biggest
reason he hasn’t shared a lot with her is because of his place in the family. Being the oldest male is a big deal in Korean
culture. Not only is he the oldest male
in his immediate family, he’s the oldest male for his whole generation. He’s embarrassed and feels like we’ve let
everyone down. The Room has changed all
of that.
She called for a weekly check-in and immediately went into
some sort of strange tirade. J switched
to English for my benefit, but all I could hear was, Korean blah blah blah. “No mom!
You can’t tell me what to do in my own house.” Louder
babbling in Korean. “Just drop
it. We’re not doing that. It’s not about that.” MoreKoreanmoreKoreanmoreKorean.
“Umma! I’ve got bigger things to worry about right
now. Drop it.”
Obviously the switch to English did not help me much.
Apparently she wanted us to buy a bed to put in The Room for
her. J was angry, but I didn’t
understand how he could be angry at her.
The only thing she knows is that we are seeing a doctor and my surgery
this summer had something to do with the why we haven’t made her a grandmother. How on earth would she know that The Room is
intended to be a nursery and that buying a bed feels like crying uncle to the
universe? He agreed that it was time to
talk with her… and he did.
I came home from work the other day and he seemed rather
peaceful. He told me he had a really
good conversation with his mom. He told
her everything. He told her we were
doing IVF, how many failed cycles we’d already had, what the surgery was for,
and he told her that this was our last shot.
There would be no more egg making for us when this was done. Thankfully, she knew what IVF was, so he didn't have to get into that. She was also
morally fine with it which was a relief. She was very sweet to him and wants to be sure
we are as stress free as possible over the next few weeks. She offered to send us to Seoul for
treatment, and when J piped in with, “I don’t think that’s necessary, but we
have a Korean doctor!” she was nonplussed.
“Of course you have a Korean doctor, what other option is there?”
Most days I'm grateful that The Room is in the back of the house and I don't have to walk by it every day. Right now I'm thankful for The Room. It helped my husband see how much his mother needed to know about our journey. I so hope we can make her a halmoni.
*Update on rent: I got a check and it cleared! I am very proud of myself for my
assertiveness in getting this cleared up… for now.”
**Update on cycle: Baseline was fine, although I was surprised my estrogen was as high as it was (68… really?) but I was given the green light to start stims tomorrow. Oh, and my right ovary was deemed “a good lookin’ ovary” by my RE.
**Update on cycle: Baseline was fine, although I was surprised my estrogen was as high as it was (68… really?) but I was given the green light to start stims tomorrow. Oh, and my right ovary was deemed “a good lookin’ ovary” by my RE.

Isn't a pleasant surprise when you tell someone about infertility/IVF and they are even more understanding than you had hoped for? I'm happy for you, and sending you lots of good vibes
ReplyDeleteWe totally have The Room. Right now it is filled with crap, essentially just storage. But there's no incentive to get everything out of there and get organized until it becomes THE Room, if you know what I mean.
ReplyDeleteOur "room" is currently an office/space for the litter box. We've filled the walls with paintings while making space for a computer. Even then, I can't spend much time in the room.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that J was able to have such a good conversation with his mother. Those are hard, but guys have an especially hard time (I remember Grey telling his mother). Thankfully, it went well.
Congrats on the baseline and equal congrats on getting the check!!
My heart just sank a little when you spoke about your husbands family culture and how he felt like he failed. So glad your mil took the news well. That has to be so hard.
ReplyDeleteYay for go ahead on stims!!!
OMG you're starting stims tomorrow!!! Yay!!!
ReplyDeleteI am, of course, so glad that your MIL was understanding. That is wonderful news!
I'm glad J had that conversation with his mom and that she was so understanding about it. That must be such a relief for both of you.
ReplyDeleteSending you mega good vibes for this upcoming cycle. It sounds like you're off to a great start.
Wow, knowing Korean culture a bit, that seems like a big deal! Good on you and J for facing it and handling the family with such grace (and so glad your MIL understood!). Really, really, really hoping for you this cycle. Soooo exciting!
ReplyDeleteOur "room" has gone from a guest room to an exercise room to a storage room and back to a guest room. Now my cats have claimed it as their room. At least it's getting used :)
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your cycle!
p.s. I nominated you for a Liebster Award today :)
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like an amazingly productive conversation with his mom - I'm glad it happened and turned out so well <3 <3 <3
ReplyDeleteYay for baselines... And so it begins!!
ReplyDeleteI wish all of this was easier on all of us. Your husband sounds like such a great guy. Sending you love this next cycle.
When I bought my house, it was just me. The Room was my guest room (it's a small 2 bedroom townhouse). When my husband moved in and we got new furniture, we moved my old bedroom furniture into that room and it was a guest room/office. We didn't think we'd still be in this house when we finally had kids. That was 6 years ago. Decorating the room was off limits. We had the entire house painted, I wouldn't let them near The Room.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad the room helped open things up with your MIL. Adding a little more to your support system never hurts. And YAY for the go ahead for this cycle!! So SO excited for you. Fingers crossed and lots of prayers said for good things to come!
Hi from ICLW#7! We're hoping to convert my husband's office into a nursery, so it helps to have the room in use. It's so great to hear how well things went with telling his parents. My husband told his, but we're not ready to tell mine. Fingers crossed that your MIL may be buying a crib for the room!
ReplyDeleteWe have spread ourselves over two rooms. We sleep in one and keep all of our clothes and the guest bed in the other. I have a box under the bed with all of my baby loot stashed away for one day. One day. Oh I hope one day.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck this month. I can't imagine how much extra stress a language barrier can add to the already delicate relationship between a woman and her mother in law. I dread having to decide where they baby stuff boxes go when we downsize to an RV this fall. <3 from ICLW!
ReplyDeleteHi from ICLW. Hoping that this cycle will be the one for you.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that their conversation went so well and that she seems supportive. I'm sure that is a huge stress relief. You should be on day 4 of stims now...I hope that it is going well and wish you success this time around!
ReplyDeleteHello from ICLW! Best of luck this cycle. I loved your MIL's comment about you having a Korean doctor. That's awesome. I had a hard time with my in-laws finding out about our infertility as well. They are quite strict Mennonites and I was so worried that they would think we were "going against God's plan" or doing something morally wrong. Luckily, like you, I was pleasantly surprised. Hoping for some great news from you this cycle!
ReplyDeleteHi from ICLW. What a powerful post. That is so great that your MIL was understanding and that your husband opened up to her. I hope that your good looking ovary pops out the egg that does the trick this time.
ReplyDeleteHello, I found you from ICLW. I really hope that you find success on this cycle and your room can be filled with baby items. :)
ReplyDeleteHi from ICLW! I have a room just like that. I filled it up with junk over the years, even put in bunkbeds in hopes of adopting. But now it will finally be used. I hope your room will be used from this cycle!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that she knows now - in my own life, I go with the assumption that the more people around me that know about my infertility, the better. Not so they can all pussyfoot around me, but so they know what I'm going through and I don't have to feel all awkward around them because of something they said in ignorance or something I don't say that I want to say.
ReplyDelete