Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

August 11, 2012

Pain and Decisions

Right now I'm full of anger, hinged with a tint of sadness. What the hell happened? We had so much hope. Everything went so much better this cycle, we didn't think it was possible to have another failure. It seemed like the lap "fixed" the root of the problem, but I suppose we were wrong on that. There's more to the story it seems. How can there be more? For shit's sake!

How did we get here? I always knew in the back of my mind that we wouldn't get pregnant right away. I thought it may take us awhile or we may need a pill, but I didn't think it would come to this! Three failed IUIs, surgery, and two failed IVFs. They had to force my husband's sperm in my eggs because it couldn't happen on its own. Our gametes couldn't play nicely together. The love of my life and my best friend. I feel like we've been robbed. Worst of all, I feel like I've stolen a chance at fatherhood from him. That eats at me like nothing else.

I told him before we even got engaged that I might have a hard time having children, but like I said, I didn't think it would be this difficult. He's meant to be a father. I know that we would be good at it, dammit! Not perfect by any means, but good. Whenever I see the pain in his eyes after another failed cycle, I feel a part of my heart fall out of my chest. He deserves so much more than what I can give him, and yet he still loves me. It's hard to feel deserving of that when my body keeps failing him.

I feel like I'm one of "those" people. The woman who can't get pregnant. What everyone fears and yet feels free to judge at the same time. "Give up and 'just' adopt." "Why do you keep doing that to your body?" "Maybe it just isn't meant to be." "I'm sure you can give all of your love to the children you work with." That last one came to my brother. I know he meant well, he's young, and he doesn't know what else to say, but if you could bitch slap someone through a text, I would have done that last night.

Yes, the snothead who leaves broken toys strewn all over my office, launches a block at me when I tell him "no," and somehow gives me ringworm in the 60 minute visit we have every 6 months is definitely benefiting from my childlessness.

We've decided to go to a different clinic. I know I can find a clinic that doesn't require me to leave a message for a nurse every time I call. I can see from reading everyone else's posts that there are clinics with accessible staff. The turnover is eating at me. I'm tired of being half naked on an examining table only for someone new to walk in and have a look at my lady parts. I'm sick of fellows and residents making decisions about my care all of the time. I hate that they only do three day transfers. I feel like we could get a lot of information by trying to culture a couple more days. The new clinic director used to run his own clinic - it bore his name. The stats at that place were abominable. 29% for women under 35. I wouldn't have stepped foot in that clinic and that dude isn't coming near my embryos again. Our transfer was full of tension because the old guy couldn't find where everything was. I can't shake the feeling that something went wrong that day. And you know what else? He put the speculum in and TWICE he let go of it when he was searching for buttons on the ultrasound machine. That effing hurts! The nurse actually made a little gasp and looked up at me the first time he let go.

Yes it's right across the street from my office, yes they had great stats in the past, yes I've bonded with some of the staff, and yes they are a big name, but my gut is telling me to run. J and I agreed in the beginning of this journey to go by the rule of threes. We did the three inseminations and we've now completed two fresh cycles. We intend to do a frozen, but if we need to do another fresh and it doesn't work out, we don't want to look back and wonder if we should have gotten another opinion. It's time for fresh eyes.

Which brings me to my questions. Have any of you ever had to move frozen embryos to another clinic in the area? How did that work? We're likely going to end up in a clinic 30 minutes from our current one. J is really anxious about this part. So is my mother for that matter. I'm pretty sure there is a solution. People must do this all of the time. We're pretty set on a clinic, but if you have any recommendations in the Triangle area I'd love to hear them. My final question is how to tell your clinic you're transferring care and how best to make sure all of your records get transferred. I'm one of those idiots who doesn't like to hurt feelings. I know - get over it. I don't mind when my patients get a second opinion, but they are usually passive aggressive about it and just end up disappearing. I'm going to have to say something and I don't know what to say!

16 comments:

  1. They really will understand if you leave, or not care.. I had a good realtionship with my re, i could text her, but after not making any traction with iuis or our ivf, i went diwn the street to her competitor and filled out the firm to have them trasfer the files. They called and asked and i had nothing to do with it. she never mentioned it to me. I even came back and saw her qnd she still gave me her best efforts. On her blog she mentioned if your nit pregnant within a year of seeing your re, its time to move on to other methods. I didnt end up liking the new office for all the reasons you dont like yours it was impossible to communicate witht them or get a callback and i just didnt feel cared for. So i came back to my re and i told her i was thinking about going abroad for ivf, and she gave me references. She said she only is concerned about me and wherever i will get the best results is the place for me. I couldnt afford her anymore.

    I also felt unsettled about my transfer day, and that unfortunate feeling dragged on through the 2 ww, and through the negative beta.

    So dont feel bad about leaving! Just go for a consult and they will have the files tranfered before you meet with them. A second opinion is key to find out if they see something that your re missed before.

    Dont think that you failed your husband either. He will be a dad soon, and you a mom and when you do get pregnant, its going to be one special baby and the news will be all that much sweeter. You sound like a great couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Changing clinics sounds like a good idea. I didn't really tell my first clinic I just had my chart faxed and never returned. I'm fine with that though.

    If you think your doc screwed up on the transfer I would definitely try to get to your embryos moved to a different clinic. If not, going to a different clinic for embryos that already exist probably won't change your success. They are what they are and changing clinics won't change anything about the embryos. FET's are so dependent on the embryos.

    Good luck moving forward and feeling good and your choices. You have to do what best increases your chances of having a baby, even if that means getting a new set of eyes to look at your case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry, I can't imagine how heartbroken you're feeling but I'm so glad you're moving REs. there is something very empowering about that. Do you know if your new REbelieves in autoimmune implantation issues (elevated natural killer cells?) I can't remember if we've talked about this already, I'm sorry if we have... Anyway, I attribute alot of our success to the intralipids I took. If you have questions you can always email me but I just want to encourage you to see an RE who doesn't write it off. I'm praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry things did not work out. Wishing you all the best with your new RE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry this is so hard. I hope you'll feel better cared for at the new clinic. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry. I was in your shoes back in 2007. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. First I thought I just needed pills and everything snowballed to the point I did many IVFs at 3 different clinics. If I had changed clinics sooner then it would have worked sooner. Clinics do make a difference. Careful with the NK cell stuff. I was told I needed IVIg and I didn't. We wasted $5k on that testing. I wasn't the only one too. There were three of us told by the same RE (threatened actually) that we needed it and we all had success without it. I fully believe the protocol and lab make all the difference. Take care. Every cycle is a roll of the dice. I am not a gambler but this was a bet I put my money on multiple times. Take care and go easy on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Changing clinics sounds like a good idea to me, even if you had good feelings about this one... eventually you need a new set of eyes, a new set of hands, just new perspectives. I don't think you need to worry about hurt feelings. I switched clinics and just asked for the paperwork to be sent to the new one. I know you are in a more complicated situation (I know Bell at Scrambled Eggs was looking into how to transfer frozen embryos to a new clinic) but in terms of hurt feelings I don't think you need to worry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear about this cycle. I don't have a lot of advice about changing clinics but I think it is the right thing to do. The thing with the speculum alone would have had me running away, and you deserve the very best chance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am just catching up and I was so so sorry to hear this news. My heart is breaking for you because I know exactly how it feels. If your gut feeling is to change clinics then do it. You are being so strong for not giving up - Another clinic may well be the ticket. Hugs for you accross the oceans. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. God, I could have written this. Since our last failed round of IVF, I've lived in this weird place where people who know about our situation are quick to offer looks of pity mixed with dread. To be that "unfortunate woman" who can't seem to become pregnant, no matter what she tries. The urge to slap people who clearly will never understand yet pretend to understand is high. I hate being the token crazy infertile who should do 'X' in order to move forward in life.

    I think your plan for moving on to another clinic is a good one. And regarding transferring frozen embryos, talk with your new clinic. It should be straightforward, but they should also be able to tell you HOW they will do this.

    Finally, know you're not alone. Despite the fact that it seems like everyone and their mother (who's under 45 yrs) is able to become pregnant simply by sneezing, there are people out there who understand where you are coming from. It sucks balls and I wish this wasn't the case, but you're not alone.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ultimately, you have to do what is right for you and your family, and if the chemistry isn't right at this clinic anymore, then it's time to go. I understand the part about not wanting to hurt feelings (I'm the same way). But in the end, you can only control yourself and your own reactions to things. While it is unlikely that they would be "hurt" by your decision, even if they are, that is their problem and not yours. You need to focus on the future. It sounds like you were uncomfortable with the turnover anyway before this happened, so if you really must give a reason then that is a completely legit one. Most people would find that unnerving, to say the least. Anyway, good luck with the embryo move - I don't know much about that, but have read about several people doing it. I'm sure the new clinic will be able to guide you through all of it. Prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just the fact that your clinic only does 3 day transfers is a red flag for me. Success rates are so much higher with blasts because that 3-5 day time frame is so critical (now...I did get pregnant from a 3 day transfer...but I was over 40 and stats showed those demographics do better with three day embies)....but freezing 3 day embies is kind of a crap shoot if you ask me....most clinics don't freeze unless they make it to blast.
    As for your clinic in general...I totally agree you should get out of there. Even for the FET I would get out because you will want to thaw those embies and then let them grow for 2 more days and I'm not sure your clinic will do that. By thawing and seeing how they grow...you give yourself better chances...and if none make it to blast then you don't have to go through the dreaded 2WW because most likely they would not have done well on the inside either.

    I sure wish you were near my clinic. OMG..they were so wonderful. I am done with treatments now (got two awesome kids ...one from IVF/ICSI with our own egg/sperm and one from a donated embryo).....our clinic was awesome on all counts and it kills me to hear that others don't get such awesome treatment while going through such a difficult journey.

    I really hope you find a clinic that works well for you and really take CARING for the patient to the next level.
    Kd

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely get another opinion. I've learned that any patient has to be their own advocate. If you don't speak up for your health care, who will?

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry!!! Have you considered having an auto immune panel to rule that out? I would def consider switching to a different RE especially if your clinic only does 3DT...if your embryos can get to day 5 then they can weed out the weak ones...wishing you lots of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you are taking charge and going to make sure you are taken care of! I know nothing about changing clinics, but Wishing you the best of luck and praying your new place is great!

    ReplyDelete