We had our first OB visit today and it went pretty much exactly like Liz's. The office was quite nice. They called me back first for a urine pregnancy test and blood pressure check and had J wait in the waiting room for that. I'd filled out my history online ahead of time, so the CNA working with me was quite confused by my LMP date. I haven't had a period since November 8th and yet I'm only 9 weeks pregnant. I told her it was an IVF pregnancy and that I had been on Lupron. She took my blood pressure and everything and then asked how long it had taken us and what we had been through. She was just making conversation and I was totally fine with it. Then she said, "So you were on Letrozole?" I said, "Um, a long time ago during my IUIs, but we're you talking about the Lupron?" She said, "Now which is IUI and which is IVF?" I said, "Uh, IVF is when they take the eggs out of you and IUI is the turkey basting?" She said, "Okay. That's what I thought." Hmmmm. Alrighty. Thankfully things went up from there.
The doc came in and went over our history again. She was so very sympathetic. She gave us a stack of info on testing, what to eat, how to battle morning sickness, what constitutes an emergency and who to call, meds that are safe (but try not to take any), a to do list. WHEW! She did a pap and a breast exam (J's first witnessing of such things, but let's face it - he's seen much worse!). I fessed up that I have been too pooped to exercise and eating is pretty much whatever stays down. I felt better when she said that it was okay and that I'd feel better and could get back on track when the first trimester is over. Then she asked if we had any more questions. I asked if she had any tips on how to stay calm. I said, "We've just been through so much and it's hard to be optimistic..." then of course I teared up. She said that she wants to get me through the first trimester, but that having seen a heartbeat at this stage was a great thing. She admitted that she didn't have any other advice, but she asked if we wanted to take a peek. We weren't scheduled for an ultrasound at this stage, but she did one and didn't charge us. It was so very sweet of her.
So we will be doing MaterniT21 blood testing and she wants us to do a level II ultrasound in the second trimester because I'm old. I guess the MaterniT21 test makes the NT screening kind of overkill, right? Any thoughts on that?
I was very happy with our visit and the clinic as a whole. We go back next week already! That will be just some blood tests... thyroid and stuff... and a visit with the nurse practitioner.
So just in time for March Madness, we decided to throw caution to the wind and make our first baby purchase. We can't wait to see our child wear it proudly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Very happy to hear your first visit went well. Hooray for being at the OB!
ReplyDeleteMany places are recommending both a NT scan and the cell-free DNA testing. Both will give you information, though slightly different types. If possible, see if you can schedule an appointment with a genetic counselor to walk you through your options.
Love the bib!
Thanks Cristy. They are sending us to a genetic counselor for the testing and she said they do an ultrasound at the same time? Maybe to get info for a more complete picture? I guess we'll find out!
DeleteNooooo can we even be blog friends anymore? I'm a terp. SIGH. STAR CROSSED BLOGGERS.
ReplyDeleteWe absolutely can because I don't know what a Terp is. :)
DeleteI am so jealous that the MaterniT21 is so readily available over there. Here, only one hospital in Sydney does it, ships samples to the USA & it costs nearly 2grand. Ridiculous.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad things went well, though. You're almost through that first tri - one week at a time x
Matt got to witness my pap and breast exam he just wasn't sure what to say. While I am definitely not a Duke fan (Ohio State baby!!) the bib is rather cute.
ReplyDeleteThat's all great news. She sounds like a compassionate doctor and it sounds like things are going really smoothly at this point :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad the appointment went well and LOVE the bid. :-)
ReplyDeleteWhat is the MaterniT21 test? Haven't heard of that one before...
I just had the MaterniT21 test done last week and they did it along with the ultrasound for the NT screening. Make sure you check with the doctor's office regarding the price of the testing. I did not and received a call from a rep at Sequenom CMM trying to charge me $1800 for the test because they were out of network. I only had to be $235 because of an agreement with the doctor's office.
ReplyDeleteSo glad it went well and you were able to get an u/s! I have one question: what will you do if Chipmunk sucks his thumb?! Children are always rebelling ya know :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the OB appointment!! Also, congrats on buying a baby-item :)
ReplyDeleteYeah Lisa! Sounds good. It is hard to make the first baby purchase but also really exciting. Embrace with all you can right now. And way to go educating the nurse about all the acronyms! Educate!!! So dreaming excited for you friend.
ReplyDelete