Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

April 2, 2013

Visit to the OLD

Sorry I've been MIA, but I've been pretty freakin' sick.  I knew I would whine and moan about it here and that just didn't sit right with me.

*This post is about a prenatal visit.  If you aren't in a good place right now, feel free to pass.  If you're in a great place, read on and check out Chipmunk's updated page.*

Today I went to the OLD.  That's Old Lady Doctor for those of you not in the know.  Okay, some people say it's the perinatology group, but I'm calling it the OLD, because that's why I have to go there.  I'm turning 35 in 12 whole days.  That apparently gets the dreaded AMA stamped on your chart.  Advanced Maternal Age. Oooooh.

First we went to the regular OB for a checkup.  There are 5 OBs in this practice.  I liked the first one and today I liked the second one.  She was very grandmotherly and just lovely.  She commented several times on the rough road we've had.  We got to hear the heartbeat for the first time.  I've seen it a few times now, but I've never had the chance to hear it.  It was quite possibly the most beautiful sound I've ever heard in my life.  She let us listen for a good long while.  She did a regular old exam and told me that because of my small stature and small pelvis (which of course seems gigantic to me!) we're aiming for a 6 lb baby.  No bigger than 7.  Not only would I have a hard time with a vaginal birth with a baby bigger than 7 lbs, but there just isn't a lot of room in there for a "big" baby.  I kinda saw that coming.  So the goal is to keep my weight gain to 1/2-3/4 lb a week for the rest of the pregnancy. Wowzers.  I have to behave, people!  I was only 6 lbs and J was 7 lbs so hopefully things will be just fine.

Then I got some not so good news.  My pap showed atypical cells.  This is a first for me.  So they ran an HPV test and I came back positive for high-risk HPV.  At the time the OB seemed really nonchalant about it, so I really wasn't worried.  She said 80% of women have HPV at some point in their lives, but I still felt like a big ho.  She assured me that it Chipmunk isn't at any sort of risk either.  I was okay at the time.  Then I of course started Googling as soon as I got in the car, and found things that bothered me.  Like how high-risk HPV has an increased chance of turning into cervical cancer, and of women who had to abort their pregnancies because they had malignancies.  Thankfully, these women in my OB's office are really awesome, and she called to check in later.  So I asked her if these sorts of things are usually a big deal.  She told me that I could have had it for years and it just laid dormant until now, when my immunity is down.  Most of the time it's either completely benign or there is some mild-dysplasia.  I'm having a colposcopy on 4/16 and they will hopefully decide that nothing looks concerning and they can postpone a biopsy.  They'll do another pap at 28 weeks to see if anything has changed and then another after I deliver (me... delivering... and not pizza... crazy).  We'll decide from there what to do if it's still there.  She also assured me that if there is a cancer risk it typically takes years to develop, so we should have some time to decide what to do.  That call really put my mind at ease.  I'm seriously tired of the drama, however.  Just for the record.

Then we headed off to the OLD.  First we met with the genetic councilor.  She went over my family history and J's in detail.  Nothing stood out for either of us putting us at a higher risk, so that was good to hear.  Then we had our ultrasound.  You guys, Chipmunk actually looked like a baby.  It was amazing.  S/he was wiggling all around, kicking arms and legs.  She took a nuchal fold measurement since Chipmunk was in a good position.  She measured arms and legs (two of each!) and looked at my uterus, ovaries, and cervix.  She said everything looked good.  Then the maternal fetal medicine specialist came in, declared we had a "very cute fetus" which cracked me up, and took a look at things. She too declared that everything looked great.  I'm measuring right on time.  11 weeks 0 days exactly.  I had my blood drawn for the MaterniT21 testing and we were all done!  I'll get the results in 7-10 days.

It's been a good day.  I'm finally starting to feel like I'm bonding with this little one.  That's been hard to explain to J.  I guess I've just been so scared that it's been hard for me to really fall in love with the Chipmunk, but after hearing that heartbeat and seeing that little wiggle worm today, things are certainly changing.

14 comments:

  1. I can't believe you are at 11 weeks already. Time really goes by quickly. Looked at your u/s picture from this visit and AWE! I am guessing you have a little boy on your hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dreaded AMA. I get that stamp, too. Sounds like everything is going great. You are almost to the 2nd trimester already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad everything is going so well. Seeing the baby wiggle and move is just so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little hapa is soooo cute already! Hope you can put aside the worries of the unknown and just enjoy this special time (when you're not feeling too sick).

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear that everything is going well!! Bummer about the HPV, but I think you're in good hands with a care team that will keep an eye on things. Fingers crossed for more good news soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that the visit to the OB went well!! Hooray!

    I went through the atypical cells, colposcopy, dysplasia thing this past summer. Give me a call or shoot me an email if need be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huge smiles after reading this post! Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The OLD...that cracks me up...I never thought of it that way, but you're right. That's why I have to see the MFM docs too. I was 36 2 days after transfer with my first and now I'm really old at nearly 38, but at least my embryo is only a 35 year old embryo. Trying to explain that to docs is kind of hilarious. The 11-12 week ultrasound is amazing because there is such a huge development in baby likeness. Mine is in 2 weeks and I can't wait! I loved it with my daughter and this time I'm even more excited, if not a bit worried. I'm always worried.

    Congrats on 11 weeks! I'm sorry you were sick, and I really hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad the HPV is nothing to worry about for now. You deserve to enjoy every minute of pregnancy (that you want to enjoy, anyway. You don't have to enjoy the discomforts that come later!)

    It's funny how some providers emphasize AMA when you are 35 and others make no mention of it. It makes the label seem so arbitrary.

    Happy 11 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thrilled that things are going well with your bean and I hope all turns out well with your abnormal pap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry about the rough news today, but so thrilled for you to be thinking about delivery & embracing the pregnancy. It is so weird -- the games we play to not let ourselves believe it -- but seeing that very-baby-looking ultrasound pretty much seals the deal! Congrats friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ick, sorry about the sick. I am glad to hear all is going well though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah Lisa! I love your chipmunk u/s picture. I'm so very happy with you both! Yeah 11 weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for you and yay for Chipmunk! I totally hear you about starting to feel like you're bonding with him/her. There have been several moments like that for me -- the heartbeat, then the 12-week ultrasound at which he actually looked like a baby, then the first time I felt him move, then finding out the sex, and each time it's shocked me how much of a difference it made. It's like letting yourself believe in it a little at a time. You are doing GREAT and I am wishing you a swift end to The Sick Part.

    ReplyDelete