Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

December 8, 2011

"It's Like Your Always Stuck In Second Gear..."

I am very blessed to have several really fantastic friends. Trouble is, they don't live by me.

I grew up in the Midwest and have some great friends back home. Then I moved to MA and made some of the most fantastic friends a girl could ever hope for. Then I moved down here to NC, and my coworkers are awesome and I truly consider them friends.

A few years ago, I was all set on being a single chick and I bought a house. At the same time, Mr. Right was feeling the same way, and bought himself a house. Then we met, got engaged, and had to figure out what to do with two houses in the middle of a housing crisis. His is in a new development and hence WAY more underwater than mine and would be impossible to sell. Tried to sell mine, but it is also underwater and we weren't getting any bites. Thankfully, it's between two major universities and renting it out hasn't been a problem (knock on wood), but it meant moving almost an hour away to The Hubby's house. I had my coworkers nearby and friends to hang out with there, but now we hang with Mr. Right's friends since they are close. I like them, but I'm pretty shy and not altogether friendly really. And now I have THE HARDEST time trying to find something in common with these people. I can't find a common ground and it makes me feel like an even bigger loser.

They are ALWAYS TALKING ABOUT THEIR DAMNED KIDS!!!

They are comparing stories, one upping each other, talking about how to get them into the charter schools, what "cute" things they said... I just smile like a dummy. Mr. Right says I should start talking about my ovaries just to see what happens. 

Why do I left this make me feel like I have no worth? Before I was married, I never felt like that! Even my married friends had other things to talk about besides their kids. Now that this IF thing is hovering over my head, I feel all sensitive about it I guess. That and it seems like this group of friends is totally mom-focused. I find myself feeling relieved when the husbands are around because I'd rather try to pretend to know something about college basketball than to pretend to know something about mommyhood.

2 comments:

  1. All of my husband's friends from his home town now have babies. We haven't been back since they had the babies but we are going back in April and I am so anxious about what that experience will be like. I don't have much in common with the wives anyway other than our husbands being friends, and now they ALL have something in common with each other. BLEH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh, that sounds dicey. Wine might be in order.

    ReplyDelete