To All The Parents Who've Spotted My Belly,
It's the first question you ask when you recognize my bump as a something more than just too many cookies. "Is this your first?" Such a loaded question.
Yes, it's my first pregnancy. I'm so blessed. So many women having babies after loss must have a much harder time with this question than I do. Still, it's a tough question to answer.
My first child? Well yes, kind of. She's my only, she's a culmination of years of struggle and pain, she's a gift, she's my everything.
How do I make you understand that without letting you into my private world? I'm pregnant, but I'm infertile. I know this may be an oxymoron to you. Just by virtue of having a disease, I feel like I need to educate you and show you how hurtful your off-handed comments can be. I know you mean well, and I'm not offended by your question, but it still stings. Asking if she's my first is expecting that there will be more and my baby collection is just starting. I know I can't make you understand that this is it for us. If I tell you she's our only, you'll ask why. If I tell you how lucky we were to get this one, you'll tell me about your cousin's best friend's sister's hairdresser who got pregnant naturally after IVF. It's great that you have hope for a miracle, but my husband and I have accepted this life we've been given. When you insist that other children will come, you're suggesting that what we have isn't good enough. It's more than good enough for us. It's wonderful.
I don't want to tell you that my eggs can't be fertilized without having a doctor inject them with a chosen sperm. I don't want to tell you that my embryos need help to hatch. I don't want to tell you that my body has to go through three months of menopause before my lining is receptive to implantation. I don't want to tell you that I have to be on birth control despite my infertility just to avoid constant pain. I don't want to tell you because I'm tired of telling you. I've been sticking up for my limping womb for years and I need a break. I just want to look forward to being a mom. A mom to one amazing little gift.
So just smile and say that she's our first while I listen to your war stories on birth and parenting, but I wish you really knew. She's so much more than a first.
August 5, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wonderfully said.
ReplyDeleteAmen sister.
ReplyDeleteOh I so completely understand! So well said. I've been thinking of you and wondering how you are. Third trimester now? I'd love a baby update on how things are going with the pregnancy and getting ready for baby!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful post.
ReplyDeleteLove your post!
ReplyDeleteYes. To all of it.
ReplyDeleteLOVE THIS!! And yes I'm yelling because this should be on a t-shirt or something to ward of those do gooders who actually do more harm than good with their comments....Beautifully written!!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post. Maybe you should carry it around with you and hand it out to those dummies who ask such thoughtless questions!
ReplyDeleteThis was a beautiful and perfect post!! My Mom said she thinks there should be a shirt that says "Can't Touch This" for pregnant women. I actually had someone ask if this was my first over the weekend and it really threw me off, leaving me stuttering like a fool until I could say yes. I hope you and Chipmunk are doing well!
ReplyDeleteSo true. I have had several people ask me lately if I'm pregnant, I've really had to restrain myself because I'm not, I'm hopped up on hormones to try and make another baby, after which I didn't completely lose the belly. I wish most of the time people just wouldn't talk at all, unless of course my water breaks on their shoes, then they can say "congratulations!"
ReplyDeleteWow, what a perfectly honest way to write out what I'm sure so many people feel.
ReplyDeleteAs everyone else has already stated, "Well said." :)
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Thank you for sharing this!
ReplyDeleteBig high five for putting that just right!
ReplyDeleteRock on sister. I wholeheartedly agree with you on every point. I feel the same way.
ReplyDelete