![]() |
| The Chipmunks |
So since I’ve been MIA, I thought I should update you on how retrieval and transfer went, especially since it was not as expected!
Just to recap, I was doing a three month treatment of Lupron Depot that started in November. Midway through January, I started stimming. So I didn’t use any antagon or additional Lupron, we just let the Depot shot do it’s long acting thing to keep me suppressed. I have not had a period since early November (that’s gunna be fun to explain to an OB… if we get that far).
Things were going great as usual for the stim portion of the IVF entertainment. In fact, I thought things were going better than usual. My estradiol was rising smoothly and we didn’t even have to make changes to my meds. My follies were growing nicely and at a similar rate. I’m not sure how many I had on trigger day, but I know it was enough that they only measured the larger ones. All was well. I was very hopeful.
On the morning of retrieval, I was pretty anxious. I remember portions of my other retrievals. I remember the pain, I remember begging for more meds, I remember being really cold. I was not looking forward to going through that again. Man, this nurse anesthetist was my best friggin’ friend. It was an entirely different cocktail (Yay Propofol!) and I don’t remember a damn thing. I was quite entertaining afterwards too. I’d like to think that I helped calm the nerves of the poor girl set to go after me, but I’m not entirely sure I’m right in that assumption. J I kept loudly proclaiming that the nurse anesthetist was my hero. He was though, seriously.
It took forever for them to come back with an egg count. One of the other docs in the practice even came down to wait for it because he was sure it was going to “at least be in the teens.” He looked disappointed when the lab finally came back with 12. I was totally cool with 12. It’s not like 26 got me anywhere! Quality over quantity! Yay for 12!
I was honestly not that worried about the fertilization report. Since we’ve added ICSI to the mix, things have been better. Not the upwards of 70% it should be, but way better than the 19% we got without it. Most of my eggs are always mature… I was figuring we’d end up with 6 embies and that sounded like a great number. So when she said we only had 3, I was taken aback. Only 6 were mature and only 3 fertilized… with ICSI. As usual, there was no reason why. It just was. We were scheduled for a 3 day transfer and I was petrified that we wouldn’ t have anything to transfer. I was having flashbacks to our first cycle.
But we did have something to transfer! In fact, all three stuck around. We went ahead and transferred all three. A 6 cell, a 7 cell, and an 8 cell. They looked pretty darned good. J dubbed them Alvin, Simon, and Theodore. Transfer went smoothly and my RE was hopeful that one or two of our chipmunks would decide to stick around.
The bloat came back with force on Saturday. Even J said, “I’m afraid you’re going to take this the wrong way, but you look much bigger than you ever have.” Sweet, honey. Thanks. I started having some sharp pains when sneezing or rolling over in bed. I let the little thought creep in that maybe, just maybe, our last round finally worked.
I caved and POAS on Monday. It was positive. It wasn’t dark, but it wasn’t a squinter either. I dragged J out of bed (I swear he thought there was a fire or something) and we proceeded to fall into complete hysterics. I tested again the morning of my beta to make sure it was darker and it was. Beta #1 was 162 and beta #2 is tomorrow.
I’m feeling so many crazy things right now that I can’t even put them into words. Happiness, shock, anxiety, fear, gratefulness, guilt… That about covers it.
Again, I can’t thank y’all enough for your awesomeness. I hate being in this club, but thank God for the wonderful women in it.
And Aly – I hope your screen recovered.


I am so so so excited for you! I can't wait to hear tomorrows numbers so that you can feel assured that your little Chipmunk is sticking around! Also my second beta with little M was also 162 which I'm sure means something since we both had the same beta number, some kind of good luck omen...
ReplyDeleteOMG!!!! I am SOOOOOOOO happy for you Lisa. This made my month! Today you are pregnant, bask in that. I'm so glad I happened to check your blog today!
ReplyDeletewith JOY,
laura
SO so thrilled to hear this news. I've been thinking about you a lot the past few days. Can't wait to continue to hear the updates. Many thoughts for you still!! yipeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI was hoping that you would share the story. This is truly amazing. I love when great things happen to good people and especially when it doesn't look like that "perfect" cycle. Fingers crossed and can't wait to hear your numbers tomorrow. I am sure they will be beautiful.
ReplyDeleteYour story is just one more proof that you never know how things will turn out until the very end. So many things can happen along the way. I hate that you were put (once again) on such an emotional rollercoaster. But I'm thrilled how things are looking as of right now. Can't wait for your update tomorrow! Sending loads of positive vibes your way!
ReplyDeleteWoooo Hooooo! C'mon little hapa! So very thrilled for you!
ReplyDeleteContinuing to be over the moon for you! Those are the cutest little chipmunks I've ever seen. Can't wait to hear about beta #2!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh what a roller coaster! I am really glad you got a better drug cocktail for the retrieval. God forbid I ever end up in the retrieval room again, I intend to ask for something different, too. The voms I had from the initial one were not good at all!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait until tomorrow's number! I am so stinking happy for you guys!
YAYYYYYY!! Congrats!!
ReplyDeleteLisa! How very exiting. loving all the good news lately. Hope your beta #2 goes just as well and numbers keep rising. Congrats lady!!!
ReplyDeletethis is a wonderful recap! It's all such wonderful news! I love the chipmunks, that's awesome! Fingers crossed for a beautifully rising beta....Hell, I have everything crossed for you! Prayers said, candles lit, you know the shebang!
ReplyDelete!!!!!!! I'm just so happy for you guys. Can't wait to hear tomorrows numbers!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the details! I can't wait to hear how great beta #2 is!
ReplyDeleteYour story is giving me so much hope! I had 6 mature eggs and only 3 fertilized. I transferred all 3 on a day 3 transfer yesterday. I can only hope I keep copying you!
ReplyDeletecongrats, again.
Yippee!!! Thanks for the recap...I'm coming up on all of this and need details!
ReplyDeleteI feel like this is repetitive but all I can say is Yay!!!!! So happy.
ReplyDeleteWonderful news - SO happy for you guys. Will continue to pray for good nunbers and progress!
ReplyDeleteAlvin, Simon & Theodore! I love it! Stick around boys, and give mama a great beta tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteWoo hoo! So excited for you!
ReplyDeleteSoo happy for you!
ReplyDeletehahahaha - oh it recovered. Well worth it to see this happy post & I am praying like crazy & hoping that your little one will stick. xxxx
ReplyDeleteso exciting! Just FYI my beta was 97 (my clinic doesn't do repeat betas) and here I am with twins... all so crazy but remember the numbers only tell you very little, you're pregnant lady!
ReplyDeleteI am so damnity happy for you pair!
ReplyDeleteWow!! What a story!! Congratulations!!
ReplyDelete