Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

September 29, 2011

Choose Your Own Adventure!

We met with the RE again today.  This visit was for an ultrasound and to look at all the test results and make a plan.  I like plans.  I'm Type A.

Ultrasound was with... um... different instrumentation than I'm used to.  It was also Mr. Right's first time in a room involving stirrups.  He was as giddy with excitement.  Anywho, the ultrasound didn't show anything.  He tried to see if he could make me wince - he was successful. 

All of our tests have come back normal so far.   Is it bad that I wish we had an actual identified problem with an actual identified treatment? 

About 10 years ago, I was told I probably had endometriosis.  The only way to really diagnose it was surgery, and since I wasn't planning on a baby at that time and birth control pills could handle the symptoms, I was put on the pill and stayed that way.  Now, the thought is that I probably have endometriosis and it's affecting my fertility. 

So he gave us options.  Infertility is apparently of the "Choose Your Own Adventure" variety.  We could have the diagnostic surgery or just go to drugs.  My first thought was, "Why the heck would I want to pump myself up with drugs and release more eggs if we don't know that things in the southern hemisphere are status quo?"  Well, turns out that even if they do identify endo, the treatment options wouldn't be much different in the end.  If there were able to remove some of the endo, there is no guarantee that it would help with fertility.  And it's a bigger surgery than I thought.  A whole freakin' week out of work.  That does not sound like a good time.   So the other option was to do a test to make sure everything is structurally clear (an HSG - which I'm none too excited about, but one day of pain sounds better than 6) and then do injectable medications.  Not sure why we're skipping oral meds and going straight to shots, but that's what was presented to us.  We decided to go for option B - the HSG and drugs.  Mr. Right will have to shoot me in the ass on a regular basis. 

On to figuring out how it will all get paid for.  Hmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment