We were planning on telling no one, but a visit to the RE today reminded me that I need my tribe. I know this means that a few IRL friends are reading this. Unless you're "Farrah," please understand that I'm in a weird place and don't really want to talk about it in person.
We have one embryo left. The fresh cycle for this embryo started at "the clinic which shall not be named." It was a day three embie from a set of 8 (I think), thawed for our FET, and cultured to day 5. We transferred the two best blasts from that cycle and planned to freeze the rest. This was the only one that survived and it was a slow grower. It's a day six 3AB expanded blastocyst from a now twice failed cycle. We don't have the highest of hopes for it, but we feel very connected to our embies and we want to give it a chance. Since we're about to hit out deductible, now's the time (because when you can't build your family the old fashioned way, you base your childbearing decisions on deductibles).
Going back to the clinic was unexpectedly strange. I had a sick feeling in my tummy all morning that J didn't really understand until the visit was over and his feelings mirrored mine. Since winning the video contest, we have an odd little celebrity there, so it's strange to walk in, be immediately recognized, and everyone from the front desk to the embryologists wants to know what your kid is doing for her birthday in a few weeks. Unsettling too in a way. I just kind of wanted to keep my head down and get this over with if that makes any sense. Instead, everyone just assumes the cycle will work and they are "dying to see what 'Chipmunk's' sibling will look like." Maybe it was bothersome because we walked in being okay with not having much hope. We both walked away feeling bad that we were okay with not feeling hopeful. Like we should be more hopeful, excited even. Perhaps we're just still scarred and reeling.
It is different, though. If this doesn't work, we're okay with it. We'll be sad, disappointed, but three years ago, the thought of a failed cycle meant looking at our future completely differently. Now it doesn't. It means the future we envisioned will stay the same, because another child would be a bonus. I know so many women are reading this and thinking I'm nuts. I didn't envision a one child family, but as conception became more difficult, and we started to see a family of two adults as our reality, Chipmunk became the bonus. I no longer feel a hole in my heart for a second child to fill. I would welcome one, of course, but there will be no more fresh cycles. If this FET doesn't stick, the door is closed.
I don't know, maybe I'm still sorting out how I feel. I just know that I stood at that desk scheduling FET class and words like saline ultrasound, E2, FSH, and PIO were pouring out of my mouth like second nature again and I hated it. We're heading down the gauntlet one more time and I fucking hate the gauntlet.
October 7, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh lady. There's so much emotion here and all of it a roller coaster. Hope mixed with stealing against hope mixed with guilt mixed with frustration. And on and on and on.
ReplyDeleteSo, take tonight to focus on your family. Grab a glass of wine/beer/insert beverage of choice. Do something to get your mind off of all of this. Because even while you're not actively thinking about this, your body and subconscious is processing everything. Then go forward knowing that the only ones who matter (and I mean truly matter) in all of this are you, J and Chipmunk. The rest are decorations and their hopes/expectations don't count.
In the meantime, know I'm here to offer the support you need. No matter what that support is. Sending love and hugs tonight.
I don't think you are crazy at all. I totally get it. I will be rooting for the underdog embie. I hope all goes well.
ReplyDeleteOh man - I get exactly what you mean. We walked back into the RE's office in late July and I almost turned and bolted. It's so weird being there again and having so much of it be so familiar (the people, the art on the walls, the lingo) but also have such different thoughts from the time before. It's extremely unsettling. Our transfer was yesterday and I still don't know how to feel. Hopeful? Yes of course. Nervous? Not like last time. We do have another couple frozen still, but like you, that will be the end. No more fresh cycles for us. It's definitely weird though. Thoughts and prayers for you guys as you navigate these next several weeks.
ReplyDeleteHow exciting! And scary, of course...:/ Thinking many, many good thoughts for that little embie of yours!
ReplyDeleteAs someone who just came off her final FET and thinking about how I envisioned my family, I get it. 100% get it. I would have loved to have experienced pregnancy again and stepping through those clinic doors was different this time. I like you felt compelled to give those final two embryos a chance. I knew there would be some grieving and sadness if the FET didn't work, but I also know I have two amazing little people who have changed how I envision my future. Thinking of you with only positive thoughts. It's a strange place to be running the gauntlet knowing no matter the ending, I'll be OK is definitely a different place to be. HUGS lady to all of you. Hold fast to the vest and know your tribe is with you.
ReplyDeleteHere from Mel's roundup. I get this. I really do. It is exhausting being at a clinic, and cycling, and riding the emotional roller coaster. We hit our breaking point too. I went back and forth and back and forth about one more IVF, but finally found some clarity this summer where I realized I don't want a second baby enough to ever go back to the clinic again. Wishing you peace, no matter the outcome (but I will hold hope for you that this embie beats the odds.)
ReplyDeleteOh I've been so outta the loop! I will keep all my fingers and toes crossed for you! At the end of the day, a lot of parenting is just trying and hoping what you do makes a difference. You are going to be a gold star parent to this little embie!
ReplyDelete