Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

November 6, 2012

Facing the Possibilities


I had my first in a set of three monthly Lupron Depot injections this morning.  I had to bring it in to get it done at the RE’s office.  It was a complicated little thing with chambers and what not.  This was an IM shot, but the needle was WAY thinner than the PIO shots, so it didn’t hurt at all.  Now we wait and see what happens I suppose.  Bring on the hot flashes!

J and I have been having a rough time lately.  We both realized that part of our reluctance to stop treatment was because we were afraid of the grief that would follow.  We just weren’t ready to face it.  So we’ve been letting a little in, learning to face the possibility of a life without children.  Thanks to wonderful role models in our community like Pam and Loribeth, it doesn’t seem as scary as it once did.  It’s not the alternative that we are hoping for, but we will certainly be able to live a happy and fulfilled life just the two of us.

But here come the holidays.  They are smacking us on our asses.

We have suddenly found ourselves gripped with fear over what holidays could be like when we’re old and don’t have grandchildren.  We have such a lovely and supportive family as it is that as long as we still have siblings to tag along with, we’ll be fine.  What happens when those siblings have grandchildren and we don’t?  Do we still hang with them on the holidays?  Will we be weird Auntie Lisa and Uncle J who don’t have their own grandkids to fuss over?  It’s probably ridiculous.  We’ll make our life up for ourselves as we go and I’m sure it will be fine, but it’s really made some realities sink in.  If we don’t have kids, we won’t have grandkids either. Not only will our immediate future be very different than what we envisioned, but the far future will be as well.  We don’t have role models for that yet.

I had a long talk with my mom about all this.  She said she already knew how I was feeling and that she thinks the fact that my brother is planning a wedding doesn’t help.  She’s right on some level. I love my future SIL and I’m thrilled for them, but they are in the happy lovey stage that will probably continue on for them.  They will get married and not have to worry about infertility, unlike J and I who have been TTC since before our wedding.  They’ll have happy healthy babies and all will be swell.  I truly hope it works out that way for them, but I worry about where I will fit in with my mom if this last cycle doesn’t work out and my brother brings along a brood of grandbabies.

So that’s where I’ve been.  Pondering and plowing through thoughts.  My Reader now has more blogs in the “pregnant” folder than the “still trying” folders.  I’ve slowed down on adding new blogs to my reader because I feel like I’m collecting fresh blogs to torture myself with.  I don’t mean that to sound harsh.  I want to be as supportive of this community as possible, but it feels like whenever I start reading a new swath of bloggers, I watch them all get pregnant one by one while I’m still facing the stark white windows.  No matter how happy I am for them, it adds to my sadness.  Whenever I open my reader these days the post titles are full of bump dates and it breaks my heart a little.  It’s awesome to see so many people coming out on the other side, but I’m feeling left behind while I watch all of you go on to your happy shiny lives?

Where are all of my sisters in massive failure?

23 comments:

  1. It is hard for me to really feel where you are right now because even though we walked through all the failures and miscarriages....we always knew adoption was an option for us. I definitely spent a lot of time mourning the loss of having bilogical children....so I completely understand those feelings (alhtough our hail mary IVF did finally work two years later) I know you have chosen to remain child free if this doesn't work....but I don't recall if you explained why you felt that way. I know adoption is not for everyone and, believe me...I know it is soooo freaking hard. I was just wondering how you came to the decision (only if you want to share). I ask this because after our last ditch effort worked and we brought home our biological son, I still wanted one more but knew there was no way we could have another biological child. We explored all adoption avenues and settled on embryo adoption because it allowed us to experience the pregnancy, it was less expensive than traditional adoption or even IVF and it was so much less risk than traditional adoption. I'm not trying to sway you...please don't get me wrong.. But I hear so much longing in your post for children and grand children and just family in general. Why not a family through other means (donor material, adoption or other?). Afterall...you and J are not related by blood yet you are now family and bonded deeply...right? I just hear so much longing for "family"...and family can be created in so many many ways. Are you sure you are ready to be child free? Just thought I would ask.
    kd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's another post for another day. Adoption isn't really an option for us, right now. First of all, we don't have the money. We are lucky enough to have insurance coverage for IF. We are just about to pull ourselves out of a huge hole of debt and don't want to bring a child into a fresh new hole. We'd need to wait until we saved the cash. I've thought about embryo adoption, because we may be able to swing that, but we still aren't sure if I have an implantation issue or not - so that seems like a crap shoot. The biggest issue is that we're just ready to be off the roller coaster. We both had trying childhoods and spent a long time waiting for our perfect partners. We feel like now that we've found each other, we're spending all of our time waiting for a child. We're tired of waiting and wanting. We're ready to find a place where we can enjoy all the blessings that are right in front of us.

      Delete
  2. I am still here with you babe. My pregnant folder is outweighing my trying folder too. I hate that we are here on this side of the fence.

    I think you are brave and wonderful to be able to look at your future, whatever future may come, and know that it will be one filled with joy. That is an amazingly strong thing to be able to do.

    I hope you will allow me to continue to hope that you (and I) will cross to the other side of the fence.

    With huge hugs my dear x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the total opposite on adding new bloggers. I feel I need to because all of the ones I have followed for a period of time have had babies or are currently pregnant. Which is cool, but I will want to be able to support and receive support from woman that are in same boat as I am .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually was all about that, but I must just know how to pick 'em! I feel like everyone I add ends up pregnant within a couple of cycles. Maybe I just need to look harder.

      Delete
  4. Love you, Lisa. I know you will find your way and I'm still holding on to all hope that this will work out the way you deserve this time. If you want to borrow my copy of "Sweet Grapes," let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley. It's in my cue, but I chose to read something completely ridiculous first (and I do mean ridiculous!)

      Delete
  5. My reader does too... and although I am so happy for everyone, I feel so left behind. It's like Im starting to realize I'm going to be THAT girl. Sad little creature. I feel like Im crossing another sad bridge to hopeless town.

    The holidays are the absolute worst! Opening gifts, alone... lol trying to convince myself it's perfectly acceptable to wrap my dogs toys under the tree is perfectly normal.

    My brother is getting married as well. They've already said they are going to try right away... lol because of the problems I've had. How sweet to be such an inspiration?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wondering where you've been. Guess I can call of that search party....

    Your sisters in massive failure are still right here with you. Yes, even those who have made it to the other side. Can you imagine what this community would be like if no one ever made it out? I know how you are feeling because I have been there for many, many years. For that reason, I will not attempt to change your feelings because I know that if futile and that you deserve to feel whatever is in your heart at the moment.

    Just know that I am thinking of you. As always :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still here. Reading and feeling the same emotions you write about every day. I really appreciate your posts and hope from the botttom of my heart that you two come to a decision that makes life easier - whatever it is. All I know from my own experience is that the journey to get to these decisions are never easy... Take care

    ReplyDelete
  8. THis post really hit home for me b/c my DW and i talk about that too. It's one thing to think about holidays NOW when you have friends and family and people to populate it but i jump ahead to 30 years from now and i think about our nieces and nephews who dont have cousins, or us without grandkids. And that almost hurts more.

    I'm with you on the Google reader and pg posts. They are popping up everywhere. While you are happy about it, it's also hard.

    hang in there - hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH, I am so sorry you are in this place. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I will share this with you...growing up my grandmother's sister and her husband were HUGE parts of our lives. They were never able to have children and did not adopt(there's a long story as to why they didn't adopt, but not for this space). My great uncle passed away when I was 3 or 4. My aunt however still participated in holidays with us. She alternated between my house and my aunts's houses. We loved having her and she was like an extra grandmother to us. It was nice for me because my dad's parents both passed before I was born. So, I don't think it would be weird for Aunt Lisa and Uncle J to participate in holidays with their great nieces and nephews.

    I hope above hopes you are never faced with that because I know your heart's true desire to be parents. I will be keeping you and J in my prayers and hope this lupron thing is all you need to have your next treatment cycle work! Sending hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know about "massive failure" (only because we haven't had a real shot at trying yet), but you can definitely count me as a sister in "not there yet." It sucks, especially to feel like you're being left behind. But whatever happens, you and J have each other, and that counts for a lot! Thinking of you, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm here, with massive failure, yep. It sucks and is so draining. I so get why you want to get off this crazy ride. I think we all want to be done already, even if that means moving on living childless. Big hugs my friend. I could have written this post myself, from the holidays coming up to the not adding new blogs at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. still here too! Hang in there. You guys are so strong. You are so right. It takes a little bit at a time. Healing takes time. Shifting your entire future and life takes time. It sucks and it's painful. Just know you aren't alone. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm still in massive failure. 2 failed IVFs, several failed IUIs, stage III endo. I think I know how you feel but I'm 43 and facing a life without children very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that breaks my heart. I know you are the voice of so many women feeling similarly. I hope your journey includes some little people, but if it does not, I am sure you will face that challenge with the same impressive & resilient spirit that you have faced IF.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry, Lisa. I can feel your sadness and am sad with you. It just doesn't make sense and isn't fair.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I'm here. And I know the feeling of having my still trying blogs folder get emptier by the day. I tried adding new blogs but I just felt I couldn't relate to people who were just starting out on their journey. They felt so hopeful and I felt like I was just going to rain on their parade sharing my story with them. And then I too found the experience that even those people were getting pregnant before me. It is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I felt exactly the same - it was heartbreaking to still be in the same place for so long when everyone was moving onto pregnancy. But please don't give up. You are in good hands and it's very possible that this next cycle will be the one for you. Hang in there - I'm sending prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh do I ever know that feeling ... moving blogger after blogger into the "pregnant" folder and then not wanting to click on it ... I think it's one of the toughest things about this community. You can be simultaneously happy for someone who is finally getting her shot, while wondering why the hell it isn't YOUR TURN yet. And there isn't a reason. You have been through so much and I hope you're doing OK.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for checking in on me. Still thinking of you. Hope you survive this holiday season with minimal damage... Hang in there too!

    ReplyDelete